Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our best ever result

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
We walked away shaking our heads and wondering whether that was the best we'd ever seen our club play. I think you might be right.

I'm sure it was the best I've seen us play.

Although, if the original question was best ever result, I guess it's hard to overlook Liverpool, Forest, Man City, and Spurs - and Aston Villa in 1910 - and Hereford.....

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Brighton 2 Luton 0 (February 1973)

Maybe not the best but one of the most surprising having come off the back of 13 consecutive defeats in Div 2. Remember it being a really really cold day too.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Sorry you are of course wrong, the second half at Forest lasted at least 90 minutes, time stood still.

This is true. And we cheered every time their new fangled electronic click ticked over another minute.

Steve Foster's most impressive awesome performance, as he repelled every John Robertson cross all night.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
West Brom 0 - 2 BHA.
League Cup 1976.
We gave them a footballing lesson that evening, and their frustration finally boiled over with Willie Johnston being sent off

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
I’m not sure it’s comparable to some on here but trudging upto Leicester on a Tuesday night a few years back. They hadn’t lost in 22 and we had only drawn 2 in 5 and we went and won 4-1..think it was 4-0 until the end too. Completely ruined their party. I’d imagine a few took a second look at that result despite the championship being unpredictable

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I thought 1-2 flattered Arsenal away at their place. PL away wins are like little cup wins for the bottom half, to not just win there, but actually press them onto the back foot for large parts of the game, it actually topped the Spurs win for me, because it wasn’t that Arsenal were particularly bad, and did come out swinging second half, but we just had so much hunger and confidence.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I’m not sure it’s comparable to some on here but trudging upto Leicester on a Tuesday night a few years back. They hadn’t lost in 22 and we had only drawn 2 in 5 and we went and won 4-1..think it was 4-0 until the end too. Completely ruined their party. I’d imagine a few took a second look at that result despite the championship being unpredictable

I always thought that as well. Then I think my perspective about how great it was as an achievement was changed after I witnessed our post-promotion collapse in 2017.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Wasn’t their amazing goalie on the day Joe Lewis?

I listened on Radio Sussex, as you say the margin of victory could’ve been by any score.

Agree with this.

Day completed with a pint in Bert Murray's pub.

(I also thought goalie was Lewis - he was outstanding in a 0-3 defeat!)

Yep you’re both right, it was Lewis in goal. We had 12 or 15 shots on target depending on what set of stats you believe, and I’m guessing hitting the woodwork doesn’t count as on target either. Although both reports I’ve seen say Barnes hit the bar twice I would have put Battipiedi hitting the woodwork too very late on. Either way though, an absolutely incredible performance.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I think it's not just the result or how we played but how much the oppo wanted or needed a win as well.
The Spurs game meant nothing to them so knock that on the head.
It's close between the Liverpool cup win in '83 and Forest in '79.
Forest, European Cup holders, unbeaten at home for 59 games and wanting, no expecting, a win.
Liverpool, unbeaten at home in any cup for 8 years. Bob Paisley after the cup he hadn't won.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
A game I really enjoyed was our 4-0 win at Charlton in October 2010.
In what was our promotion season and last ever season at Withdean, we gave them a real footballing lesson that day.
Top away day.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Best result - Forest away but, typically Abion, it was agony for 80 minutes after scoring.
Happiest result - Peterborough away. I have never smiled so much at a football match. You
know - that silly smile whilst shaking your head because you cannot believe what you are seeing.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yep you’re both right, it was Lewis in goal. We had 12 or 15 shots on target depending on what set of stats you believe, and I’m guessing hitting the woodwork doesn’t count as on target either. Although both reports I’ve seen say Barnes hit the bar twice I would have put Battipiedi hitting the woodwork too very late on. Either way though, an absolutely incredible performance.

With a couple of thousand packed into the away terrace?

Ten years ago, but I remember it like yesterday, the same with the immense performance at The Valley. P’boro were also flying high, gung-ho high scoring football under Taggart Jnr .... until they met Poyet’s Albion.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
With a couple of thousand packed into the away terrace?

Ten years ago, but I remember it like yesterday, the same with the immense performance at The Valley. P’boro were also flying high, gung-ho high scoring football under Taggart Jnr .... until they met Poyet’s Albion.

A bit over 2,500 officially. I remember walking up to the ground through the streets and hearing our fans singing. Great days, shame there isn’t more videos of our support from back then.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Fairly certain they hadn’t won the league by this point seeing as they only won by goals scored in he end. Oddly the one season that this took precedence over goal difference - thank ****.

Maybe they’d just clinched promotion. Which reminds me of another great surprise win: Beating Leicester 4-1 away in April 2014, when they hadn’t lost a game for 5 months.

Yes, it must have just been promotion. Apologies. What a run in that was. For me the final lap began with the last Goldstone floodlit game, against Barnet I think. All of those games were contenders for the greatest-ever victory, especially the draw at the end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here