Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - getting out of Brighton

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Just don't go to the Cricketers in Berwick, awesome pub with great beer (I used to work there) but at the weekend it's full of rude townies on visits to the countryside. Oh.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Trevor Arms in Glynde. Never been there myself, but recommended by a friend whose local it is. Halfway House on the A26 between Lewes and Uckfield. Harveys from the barrel. Great food, though a little on the expensive side. The bus to Eastbourne stops in East Dean. Nice looking pub there. Is it the White Lion? You can walk along to Birling Gap and up to Beachy Head. I wouldn't bother with the Birling Gap Hotel or the Beachy Head Hotel.:drink:

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
can't believe this one hasn't been mentioned:

the pub in ditchling, can't remember what it is called, but it has a nice beer garden and is quiet and in order to get to it from brighton you have to drive over ditchling beacon which has really nice views.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The pub at East Dean is the Tiger, excellent beers,one of my favourite pubs.:drink:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
mk_bha said:
Fulking.

The shephard and dog. Best country pub in sussex.

near Btn too.
I used to park at the Devil's Dyke Hotel, have a couple of beers and then walk down the hill to the Shepherd and Dog, have a couple more,and then walk back.It sure burnt off the calories.
:drink:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Man of Harveys said:
Definitely no bus - the road is only just wide enough for one car. A cab from Lewes shouldn't be too much, £5-10 possibly.

Beg to differ, get the 728 to Tun Wells which stops in Isfield then, there's a public footpath near Boathouse farm that follows the route of an old dismantled railway. Make sure you read the bus times otherwise its a long walk back to Lewes.

Giant Seagull

That was textbook
Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
theres the eight bells at Jevington and the giants rest at Wilmington (near the long man) just of the A27.

The Golden galleon at exceat although just been turned into another chain pub so dont know how it is now, but the 712 bus runs past it and you can walk from the pub to the beach at exceat.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Try the Volunteer in Lewes on a Friday night.
Nice quiet pub with a friendly atmosphere.

Or the Tally Ho in Landport Estate.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
the full harris said:
can't believe this one hasn't been mentioned:

the pub in ditchling, can't remember what it is called, but it has a nice beer garden and is quiet and in order to get to it from brighton you have to drive over ditchling beacon which has really nice views.

I think you mean The Black Bull

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Strike said:
Yes I think that might have been the one I was passing today, I walked from Hassocks to Ditchling and back today. Ditchlings nearer to Hassocks than I thought.

Blimey that's hike. You're not that "mystery walker" who wears the parka with the hood up & a scarf covering his face; all year round!?

:lolol:

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
smudge said:
Blimey that's hike. You're not that "mystery walker" who wears the parka with the hood up & a scarf covering his face; all year round!?

:lolol:

No not at all. I would not wear a parka in the summer, I was wearing a dark retro shirt, and jeans and you could see my face 100%, although I hope everyone on this board has forgotten what I look like except for the lovely people from the Offical Website messageboard. So it means I am like the Curious Orange.

If you want a superb country pub crawl on a Saturday or Sunday, I'd recommend a train to Berwick to connect with the excellent Cuckmere Rambler Bus. The bus leaves Berwick Station car park at 22 minutes past the hour on Saturdays and 12 minutes past the hour on Sundays (just a few minutes after the train arrives).

It then follows a route via:-

The Berwick Inn (Berwick station)
The Cricketers (Berwick)
The Olde Smugglers (Alfriston) - now re-opened after being half demolished a few weeks ago by a hit and run car driver
The Wellington (Seaford)
The Golden Galleon (next to the Cuckmere River)
The Plough and Harrow (Litlington)
The Giants Rest (Wilmington)
The Cricketers (Berwick)
The Berwick Inn (Berwick Station)

Adventurous drinkers can also fit in a walk to the Sussex Ox (Milton Street).

All day, unlimited travel - hop on, hop off at will - for £3.50.

First bus from Berwick Station at 1022 (Sat), 1012 (Sun). Then hourly until the last bus arrives back at Berwick at 1809 (Sat), 1759 (Sun).

If you're really lucky, you might even find me driving this bus.

:drink: :drink: :drink:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Lord B, that sounds like a great bus ride. You really are a fount of knowledge on everything, aren't you?

One pub that hasn't been mentioned yet is the Laughing Fish at Isfield. As TOT said, the 728 stops there. I haven't been there for a few years, but it was a mighty fine pub.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here