Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - anyone know about CAMPER VANS

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
I heard of a Hymer based on a Fiat Ducato the other day. Seems to have everything on it ,almost a years MOT and around your budget or less. It's near Guildford. PM me if you want me to find out more.

Hymer are a very good motorhome builder, Even the old ones can still be cracking buys.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Hymer are a very good motorhome builder, Even the old ones can still be cracking buys.

I believe they are the best you can get. This particular one is a J reg. so about 1991 but appears to be very well equipped. Captain seats ,shower,toilet 3-way fridge at least 4 berth from what I can make out. I'm tempted to have it myself.

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
Bought our first van off eBay about 8 years ago for 5k. Very small transit based Holds worth Minuet. Did us well for 5 years and then upgraded to a small Motorhome which we also love. Usually good selection on ebay. I echo the thoughts about seeing lots of old Hymers about.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
[MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] recently splurged on a camper van.

I have no idea, personally, with regard to seasonality, but I find it hard to imagine there isn't any. Maybe traders won't adjust their prices during the quieter times, but I would imagine your ability to bargain harder would be increased. It was certainly the case with convertible cars whenever I was looking in the past.

My personal likes are for old VW split screens and I've not seen much variance there of any note. Unfortunately you'd be looking at 2 or 3 times your budget to secure a decent splitty.

Yep, we purchased a pop top van on a Vauxhall Vitara LWB van. Lovely van, and it did brilliantly on our trip to Southern France this summer, plus days out.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Had two T25's . Really wish I had kept them. Suburu or Audi engine is the way to go for power and reliability. Great fun lovely vehicles but they are really expensive to run and are a real labour of love. Made me cry when I sold my last one. For those who know, first van was a Hold worth Vision hi top, 2.1 auto. Petrol. Second was a Hold worth Villa 3 pop top....1.9 petrol manual.
Buy in the winter, will be loads cheaper, especially just before Christmas.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
There is a curious halfway house I've been thinking about recently. Some people have squeezed a Subaru engine into the back. 200+ bhp of reliability pushing you along.

One of my lawnmowers has a Subaru engine which i think is cool....totally irrelevant though

funny they are still in business and drop people off there regulary for pick ups
My opinion is based on the experience that some friends of ours had. They bought five and set up a camper van hire business. The business folded a year later because every van broke down so regularly that they couldn't hire them out any more.
My opinion hasn't been changed by the experience of the poster on this thread who had a similar experience.
I hope your available to pick these people up when their £35k knacker gets dropped off on the back of a recovery truck.
But yes, they look great.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003

Any excuse to play this! Bowling alley is now the home of the excellent Amoeba Music, for anyone who's been to SF.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here