Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
We deserved a draw tonight, could have won it even. Anyone who is calling for Oscar's head after that is a moron.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I've just had a little look at the stats for Maccabi Tel Aviv's championship winning season for 2012-2013:

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/maccabi-tel-aviv/begegnungen-datum/verein_119_2012.html

It seems like Oscar mainly used at least 2, sometimes 3 strikers. With various permutations of 4-3-3, 5-2-3, 4-4-2 and 5-3-2.

He never once used a lone striker up front.

I'm wondering why he changed his attacking philosophy after coming here, especially regarding the lone striker. Is it because he thinks Ulloa's the only decent striker we have? Did he have a look at our crop of players and decide to stick to Poyet's formation (pretty much) because he perceived that was the best way to play to their strengths?

I think he could be a great manager for us if he was really allowed to mould the team into playing the way he played with Maccabi.

Trouble is we'd need to buy at least 3 strikers and keep Ulloa if we were to regularly play 2 up front next season.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Well this is absolutely extraordinary. We were EXCELLENT for the first 20 minutes. EXCELLENT. And yet we must sack the manager because Derby parked the bus and were fast on the break. Amazing....

I think most would get more bored watching Derby if they play like that every week.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I've just had a little look at the stats for Maccabi Tel Aviv's championship winning season for 2012-2013:

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/maccabi-tel-aviv/begegnungen-datum/verein_119_2012.html

It seems like Oscar mainly used at least 2, sometimes 3 strikers. With various permutations of 4-3-3, 5-2-3, 4-4-2 and 5-3-2.

I'm wondering why he changed his attacking philosophy after coming here, especially regarding the lone striker. Is it because he thinks Ulloa's the only decent striker we have? Did he have a look at our crop of players and decide to stick to Poyet's formation (pretty much) because he perceived that was the best way to play to their strengths?

I think he could be a great manager for us if he was really allowed to mould the team into playing the way he played with Maccabi.

Trouble is we'd need to buy at least 3 strikers and keep Ulloa if we were to regularly play 2 up front next season.

Interesting stuff, and confirms what I thought. I think Oscar came here to play attacking, expansive football, but when he'd had a chance to properly asses the squad, realised that we didn't have enough quality to do that and get promoted. So he decided to just try and get as many points as possible in his first season, which meant a more solid, patient system. And I for one think that was the right thing to do.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Interesting stuff, and confirms what I thought. I think Oscar came here to play attacking, expansive football, but when he'd had a chance to properly asses the squad, realised that we didn't have enough quality to do that and get promoted. So he decided to just try and get as many points as possible in his first season, which meant a more solid, patient system. And I for one think that was the right thing to do.

I think that's a fair assessment. Plus Ulloa was our only striker* when he got here and the standard and style of defending is probably a lot different.

What he has unearthed is a gem in Solly and he now needs to be find 2 or 3 more from somewhere.

*Edit - other than Barnes - forgot about him!

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

We have another two strikers. One is being ignored and the other got 10 minutes.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
If we sacked Oscar, after reaching the play-offs this year, we would be the laughing stock of the football league.

Yes, we'd become the equivalent of Mutts Nuts on NSC.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I can't believe we are slating our coach! We are in the play offs. Absurd. Positive support only is needed at moment. FFS

I agree totally - if he was that inept we would be skulking about around mid table or lower. I say to those who constantly criticise "give the man a break".

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
We have another two strikers. One is being ignored and the other got 10 minutes.

Well quite. The question is why are they being ignored when Oscar clearly preferred to play at least 2 strikers at his previous club? Either he doesn't think the strikers we have are good enough, or something/someone has changed his attacking philosophy, which I seem to remember him talking about when he first took over the post.

Maybe it's that whole director of football vs head coach thing?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Well quite. The question is why are they being ignored when Oscar clearly preferred to play at least 2 strikers at his previous club? Either he doesn't think the strikers we have are good enough, or something/someone has changed his attacking philosophy, which I seem to remember him talking about when he first took over the post.

Maybe it's that whole director of football vs head coach thing?

Oscar can pick as many strikers as he likes, but if they do not get the ball as our midfield is not good enough to unpick the defence, it won't make any difference. That is what the problem is. Our main "unpickers" have either been injured or ineffective - Buckley, Lua Lua and Orlandi mainly. Losing Crofts and Stephans too. Lopez has been poor, Lingard has done alright and chipped in with goals and Solly has been very good in patches which is all we can expect from a kid.

People have been crying out for pace - Buckley has lost it and the first thing Lua Lua does every time he gets the ball is stand still.

Oscar played Barnes and Ulloa together when he could but I doubt that Hoskins and CMS would last more than 30 minutes at the moment. Obika was, well, Obika and Spanish Rod was an experiment that has not worked.

I don't think there is a battle of wills going on at the club as you suggest, rather a lack a creative talent when we have needed it, an injury problem that has meant he has not been able to pick a consistent strike force and senior players not performing as they should for whatever reason.

Having said all of that, we are still in the play-offs and could still get something from them. Which I think is quite an achievement for a first season in English football.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Claim? Their father and sister... I'm pretty sure they're not lying to me? Hahahah

So one of our players Father and sister (March?) as told you this so you thought you would disclose this to the rest of us the laugh about it?

Do you need attention by any chance cause that post stinks of "look at me".

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
If he does not change his tactics Sunday we will lose, he then needs to be sacked

Utter dribble.

Out of curiosity, whose second/troll account are you? I ask because surely no-one can actually BE that ****ing stupid?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Oscar can pick as many strikers as he likes, but if they do not get the ball as our midfield is not good enough to unpick the defence, it won't make any difference. That is what the problem is. Our main "unpickers" have either been injured or ineffective - Buckley, Lua Lua and Orlandi mainly. Losing Crofts and Stephans too. Lopez has been poor, Lingard has done alright and chipped in with goals and Solly has been very good in patches which is all we can expect from a kid.

People have been crying out for pace - Buckley has lost it and the first thing Lua Lua does every time he gets the ball is stand still.

Oscar played Barnes and Ulloa together when he could but I doubt that Hoskins and CMS would last more than 30 minutes at the moment. Obika was, well, Obika and Spanish Rod was an experiment that has not worked.

I don't think there is a battle of wills going on at the club as you suggest, rather a lack a creative talent when we have needed it, an injury problem that has meant he has not been able to pick a consistent strike force and senior players not performing as they should for whatever reason.

Having said all of that, we are still in the play-offs and could still get something from them. Which I think is quite an achievement for a first season in English football.

Wow, a fairly long post, and I can't find a single thing that I disagree with; so, this, in spades.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
The players are genuinely bored of listening to oscar long and dragging team talks and the general consensus of the players is that NJ is a prick. Oscar is far from tactically inept, Possibly too tactical!

Seems strange that, as people like Upson have stated (on record) that Oscar is rather reserved (read quiet) and goes about his business. From the times that i have met him, from the reports from i have read and others comments i am not sure he is the type of person that would deliver a long and dragging team talk, i don't think that is his nature or approach. He certainly isn't flamboyant so are we getting Chinese whispers third hand about a dull delivery of the team talks (that i can believe).

NJ is marmite but so was CO, some players didn't like the way he was a p*** taker, called them up on mistakes on the training ground etc...

I have not liked all of my bosses, i am sure none of us have, doesn't mean i dont turn up for work, do what i am told to the best of my ability and get the job done. Football is work for a footballer. So whats the difference to me slagging of a colleague or boss to my dad and him then telling a guy down the pub? Nothing...its just 30,000+ people don't care what i do or what i think.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
So we did not sit back and defend once we had scored then, are you pissed were you even at the game

I'm sorry.....but that is utter DRIVEL.

You do REALISE Derby's penalty came from them COUNTER ATTACKING us, right?

You don't get COUNTER ATTACKED when you are "sitting back".....otherwise it wouldn't be a COUNTER ATTACK.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There was a few incidents last night which did confuse me, not that it's difficult to do so, when we hit on the break and were only willing to commit three to the frontline-even after play had clearly caught up.

When County found themselves in the same position they committed four.

It does suggest that the emphasis is on defence, highlighted by the 'for and against' tally this year.

I believe that Oscar is the future for the club, as his own man, but there are a few adjustments that need to be made as he hasn't fully adapted his style of football to the English game. I understand why some our frustrated, but at least we know that this year we have, perhaps, slightly over-achieved, and the club is going in the right direction. Hence my indignant attitude towards the suggestions of managerial change.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
There are some right ****ing tools on here. We lose a game that we were unlucky not to win, against a team finishing in 3rd and being the highest scorers in the league (not to mention we restrict them to ONE shot on target) in a game that very few people expect us to win...and people want us to sack the manager?

Jesus ****ing christ. I'm sure there are some people that won't be happy unless we're back hoofing it back at the Goldstone. We've got ourselves into the Playoffs...AGAIN. A feat that the majority didn't think would happen this season and for better luck (and some improved refereeing) we could have walked away from last night with an advantage. Bit no, that's not good enough - we should have spanked the playoff favourites 9-0, of course! I do often wonder why people bother being 'fans' of the team, when they don't seem to possess any semblance of logic or pragmatism.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here