Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

one last rant from me

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
If the club want money now then what are they saying you can set up a standng order and pay in installments?

what good is the money in 6 months time when they say they need it now to survive?.

also the club have said Falmer is the most important issue,(which I agree) then as according to the large one ..they said last night the club would not go under if they did not receive 2 million, but might have to cut back on players and costs etc... surely they should be doing this b4 begging for money?? just like any business would during hard times.

im not really having a go I just want a decent answer to the questions.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
So you'd rather players were given away / sold (if any are worth transfer fees) and we face certain relegation - than we at least try to make an decent effort at running a team worthy of their place in the Championship ?

Ok - that's a choice to make - but not the one I would go for! I'd rather try and maintain the 'on the pitch' budget and deal with the temporary financial challenge off the pitch by raising money to cover it.

It's a choice - and I'm happy with the efforts the directors are making.

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
I think I may have hit the nail on the head here,

its all about prioritys... basicly it all boils down to us surviving as a championship team.

if the fans put money in.....
we can pay the staff/players and possibly stay in the championship

if we dont put the money in..........
the club will be forced to sell players/cut wages etc.. thus possibly getting relegated.

to be honest Falmer is the most important issue to me and dont care too much about what division we are in until we get there
as long as we dont go out of the coca-cola league!

if the club put it this way in the first place then I would have understood it alot better.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I agree. I think there has been slightly misleading linkage in this appeal between 'survival as a club', and 'staying in the Championship'. That may or may not have been deliberate. I'd take in Falmer in Division Two tomorrow, we know we'd come back. And we are not a charity, the board has to take responsibility for proper running of the club, donations from supporters is a bonus, not to be relied upon. Business is slightly different, I imagine the facilities and capacity at Withdean severely hamper that effort at the moment.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Mr Popkins said:
I think I may have hit the nail on the head here,

its all about prioritys... basicly it all boils down to us surviving as a championship team.

if the fans put money in.....
we can pay the staff/players and possibly stay in the championship

if we dont put the money in..........
the club will be forced to sell players/cut wages etc.. thus possibly getting relegated.

to be honest Falmer is the most important issue to me and dont care too much about what division we are in until we get there
as long as we dont go out of the coca-cola league!

if the club put it this way in the first place then I would have understood it alot better.

I suspect that the club were working, not unreasonably, on the assumption that this was already understood. Being in the Coca-Cola Championship (as opposed to League 1) has stood us in better stead for getting a YES from Prescott, although is slightly immaterial now, as he has accepted that the need for a stadium in Brighton & Hove is in the national interest.

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
The Large One said:
I suspect that the club were working, not unreasonably, on the assumption that this was already understood. Being in the Coca-Cola Championship (as opposed to League 1) has stood us in better stead for getting a YES from Prescott, although is slightly immaterial now, as he has accepted that the need for a stadium in Brighton & Hove is in the national interest.

so by that statement you accept my explanation for the club asking for money?

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Mr Popkins said:
so by that statement you accept my explanation for the club asking for money?

I would suspect the club will always listen to offers for it's players, but do you see a rush of clubs looking to come in for them? Bearing in mind, the sort of money we would looking for for some of our top players only Championship clubs can afford.

Also, we have started down that round already. McGhee, Knight and Cullip have been told we can't afford to start contract negotiations with them yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here