"One Johnny Prescott, there's only one Johnny Prescott..."

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Is the "welcome" he deserves for his role in getting us a new ground, or for his role in f***ing this country up beyond all recognition.

Have to say I'm torn.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
he didnt do anything for it apart from delay stuff further! hazel said yes not him, he is a complete an utter twat in my opinion and should not be welcome!

Very strange, and IMHO a rather misguided comment.

I'm certainly no Prescott lover, but he could have said no, after the initial Inspectors' reports.

He didn't, we had the opportunity to question it, and (partly) because of this we are where we are today.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Without Prescott Falmer would more than likely still not have been built....

Prescott :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Prescott was key in getting Falmer... Anyone that thinks otherwise does not have a clue about the history...

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
What's a "Tweetup?"

John Prescott said:
[MENTION=7807]john[/MENTION]prescott
Hi @NorthStandChat Can you please RT to see if any Seagulls can make a #bhafc tweetup in Brighton at around 1045 on Saturday morning?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Listening to the few bits he had to say on the Withdean Years DVD were brilliant :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Without Prescott Falmer would more than likely still not have been built....

Prescott was key in getting Falmer... Anyone that thinks otherwise does not have a clue about the history...

This, and I hope he gets the recognition he deserves.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Someone in his office cocked it up. If you think we would have overridden two pubic enquiries without the backing of the Deputy Prime Minster then you are mistaken. Blears was following orders.

Rubbish. In 26 years as a civil servant in 3 government departments, I have NEVER known a secretary of state agree to do something as trivial as this on the orders of their superiors.

but doesn't get away from the fact that he did NOT sign the letter that gave us permission to build at Falmer. Hazel Blears did and believe me, having briefed Prime Minsiters and Secretaries of State, , there was absolutely NO guarantee that Blears would support the bid when she came in. JP or Steve Bassam might well have briefed her about the situation but she still could have said no to the planning application had she wanted to. She already had 2 planning inspectors reports against the develeopment taking place.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
but doesn't get away from the fact that he did NOT sign the letter that gave us permission to build at Falmer. Hazel Blears did and believe me, having briefed Prime Minsiters and Secretaries of State, , there was absolutely NO guarantee that Blears would support the bid when she came in. JP or Steve Bassam might well have briefed her about the situation but she still could have said no to the planning application had she wanted to. She already had 2 planning inspectors reports against the develeopment taking place.

So in other words, Prescott contributed absolutely nothing towards our stadium bid... Riiiiggght

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Rubbish. In 26 years as a civil servant in 3 government departments, I have NEVER known a secretary of state agree to do something as trivial as this on the orders of their superiors.

Maybe 'following orders' was a little strong, but Prescott's approval was key. If he had thrown it out we were finished. Prescott fully supported the stadium, and having the DPM on board counts for a lot when politics come into play. If it were down to the inspectors we would not have the stadium. Political necessity got us the stadium and Prescott's approval was pivotal in this.

To whitewash Prescott's contribution out of our eventual success is nonsense in my opinion.

Prof P

Sep 22, 2004

I bow to your superior knowledge on planning application procedure. But, you know, its 20 degrees outside, we're about to watch a six pointer to stay in the play off places in our spanking new stadium, watching the best football in the division (and, I might add, I happen to be taking my two boys to their first ever football match tomorrow. Not strictly relevant to you I know, but I thought I'd throw it in)....so lighten up for fuckssake and give the fat man a round of applause.

Hate to break this to you but life as an Albion fan ain't going to get much sweeter than this so if someone turns up to our HOME who had a hand in getting us here I'm going to give him a cheer. Go on, you might enjoy yourself.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What's a "pubic enquiry"?. Sounds interesting.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
She already had 2 planning inspectors reports against the develeopment taking place.

actually no she didn't. Prescott had two inspectors saying no. he then agreed to reopen the inquiry to examine other sites with a very strict ToR to it. That inquiry found there were no other sites and he said yes. That yes was overturned and re-evaluated by first Ruth Kelly and then Blears who did sign the letter and say yes.

I still maintain that Prescott giving us another chance and the way the ToR was written are the reasons why we got a yes. I agree Blears could have said no but the way the second Inquiry was directed, it really would have been jaw dropping if she had.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Maybe 'following orders' was a little strong, but Prescott's approval was key. If he had thrown it out we were finished. Prescott fully supported the stadium, and having the DPM on board counts for a lot when politics come into play. If it were down to the inspectors we would not have the stadium. Political necessity got us the stadium and Prescott's approval was pivotal in this.

To whitewash Prescott's contribution out of our eventual success is nonsense in my opinion.

Prescott's SUPPORT was pivotal. I woudn't want to to whitewash that out of any picture. But, at the end of the day Barry, it was SUPPORT and not APPROVAL by the time the decision came to be made.. My simple point was that there was plenty of ammunition for Hazel Blears to use to if she had wanted to scupper the application, and she could have. I am sure that JP and Steve Bassam made their views on the subject very clear to her, but at the end of the day she, and only she, took the deciision. Officials may well have advised approval but she was quite free to ignore that if she wanted to or had a reason to.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bounce...

Screen Shot 2012-03-30 at 10.14.52.png

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've just put my tie on and polished my shoes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports