Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] One game from the sack

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I love Dick (ooh er missus) but speaking to him about the whole Micky/Dean scenario last year he was clearly deluded that day back in 2008.

He actually believed Dean would take it on the chin, welcome Micky back and revert to First Team Coach, was never going to happen and I do wonder if other board members at the time effectively gave Dick enough rope and let him get on with it?

Well Dick always did know best . . . did he not? :wink:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I couldn't comment on that. But it was a really enjoyable game.

I liked the football Albion played under Sami. I'm a big fan of wing backs. I also felt he was very unfortunate because of the awful recruitment. I think we had five loan signings.

But they were in a downward spiral and something had to give. We needed a firefighter. Chris came at the right time.

But as unsuited as Sami was, he had the worst cards of any Albion manager in the AMEX era.

Definitely. TB reined in finances, almost overnight we went from:

Ulloa
Kuszchak
Buckley
Bridcutt
Upson
Lopez
Crofts
Orlandi

To:

Chicksen
Holla
McCourt
Gardner
J.Bennett
Colunga

The Hyppia reign seemed an experiment to see how the club would fare on a sustainable budget in a division of clubs overspending.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Will Harty make it a hat-trick of threads telling us he is on holiday ?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Clearly GP’s job is safe whatever the Norwich result but sitting in the sun, recalling Albion of yesteryear thinking about how many times our respective managers have been potentially one game away from being fired?

The one that springs immediately to mind, was October 1988 against Leeds United, Barry Lloyd’s newly promoted side had started their Division 2 campaign with 8 straight defeats, 6 in the League, and a two legged league cup tie against Southend.

Once we’d kissed and made up I spoke to the late Dudley Sizen a few years later who told me that prior to the arrival of Billy Bremners men at the Goldstone, concerns had been raised at the weekly board meeting, initially shut down by an animated Greg Stanley (clearly the pubs were open) but Dudley admitted that if Leeds had won emphatically that day, the axe may very well have fallen on Baz on the Monday.

Thankfully an exciting 2-1 win provided the Albion with their first three points of the season and Barry went on for another 5 years.

Any other examples spring to mind?

Once a legend, now just a tedious attention seeker.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He should be sacked. The clown is a serial bottler. Look at Swansea

Can you run that one past us again? This time in English?

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I knew CH was ‘gone’ when we fell apart in a ‘must not lose’ game at home to Cardiff.
Norwich is GP’s first ‘must not lose’ game for the Albion. This is the first time IMO that he has been under genuine pressure of losing his job.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Definitely. TB reined in finances, almost overnight we went from:

Ulloa
Kuszchak
Buckley
Bridcutt
Upson
Lopez
Crofts
Orlandi

To:

Chicksen
Holla
McCourt
Gardner
J.Bennett
Colunga

The Hyppia reign seemed an experiment to see how the club would fare on a sustainable budget in a division of clubs overspending.

Which is why I still think Gus was right with his 'ceiling' comments. He just articulated them badly. If Bloom had put a bit more money in that Summer and backed Gus, I'm fairly sure we'd have gone up the following season.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If Sami hadn't fallen on his sword it makes one wonder how much longer it would have taken Tony Bloom wo wield the axe.

Very much longer and Championship survival could have become very difficult indeed.

We owe a huge debt of gratitude to the Junior Seagulls Christmas Party. Hyypia resigned the following morning. He realised the game was up when a bunch of seven year olds were telling him his position was untenable :lol:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I know, strictly speaking, we've got the best players we've ever had right now but my word - those players were often great to watch.

LLLLL.PNG :shrug:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
mate , mate , mate .....the op is on holiday in Florida posting this shite........really...?? Lenny .....tsk...!! How could you forget the absolute cluster**** of missing out on the Championship winners title when all the boys went on the lash 3 weeks early...?? sack the fuuuuueeaaarkin' board...!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I know, strictly speaking, we've got the best players we've ever had right now but my word - those players were often great to watch.

I think any players that win football matches were great to watch! Let's face it it was only a few months back that we were all purring about the current lot and saying how easy on the eye they were.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here