One for the old'ens

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Talking of headbands - anyone else remember the FA Cup semi-final in 1978 between Ipswich and West Brom (?) and there was a massive clash of heads. 1 player went off in a bad way and the other player stayed on with a head bandage and by the end of the match was absolutely covered in blood. Am I imagining watching that on MOTD way back when I was v little?

edit - apologies if I am hijacking this thread.

Brian Talbot and John Wile

Last edited:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
John Wile ( WBA centre half ) was definitely one of them...got a feeling that it was one of Butcher/Mariner/Wark for Ipswich....any offers?

No, I'm sure it was Brian Talbot. He went for a divng header in the box and Wile also stuck his head in there. Talbot went off but Wile continued covered in blood.

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Definitely not Butcher.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Ouch!
80659984-08DF-CD24-2005EE7218FDECF9.jpg

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
Great memories as I was in the "Chicken Run" for both York & Walsall games. And it is guaranteed that if the Palace game was at the Goldstone then it was either a win or a draw at the very least as Palace didn't win a league game at the Goldstone from the early sixties until it turned into Toys R Spit.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
John Wile ( WBA centre half ) was definitely one of them...got a feeling that it was one of Butcher/Mariner/Wark for Ipswich....any offers?
Not imagining it at all.

no_surrender%21_john_wile_keeps_fighting_1270379.jpg

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Although we scored 7 in both matches ( York + Walsall ) the latter game stands head and shoulders above the former in Albion history. I still say that it is the most brilliant passage of football I have seen in 47 years of support.
It was a horrible night, raining steadily and a friend of mine upped sticks and went home at half-time, declaring..." this is terrible, I'm soaked to the skin and we always lose to bloody Walsall "
He'd only been gone about a minute when the Albion players started trooping back onto the pitch.Apparently, Mullery gave them the rocket of all rockets in the dressing room and made them go out in the pouring rain 6-7 minutes before Walsall. The crowd started laughing and the mixture of this and the embarrasment/humiliation of standing in the rain had thje desired effect.
They literally blew Walsall away. It was staggering. Ward and Mellor 7 goals between them in 28 minutes! Two good players on fire, angry and hungry. Everything they touched went in. It could have been 10 or 11. Horton behind them, driving them on like a man possessed.
Mullery was a brilliant half-time manager and he took a huge gamble humiliating pro-footballers. It couldn't have worked better.
We didn't score in the last 17 minutes of the second half, which made what had gone before even more remarkable. It was like warriors in battle, who had seen enough blood and killing and put their swords away for another occasion.
For an ' old-un ' like me, nothing yet has beaten those 28 minutes. Charlton at home..7-0 ( 5-0 at half-time and Case completing his hattrick in the 2nd half ) comes close but Walsall has that special place in my heart.

the bloke standing next to us on the east terrace went home at half time (there was not many of us standing there by the second half) makes me very emotional thinking about that game both the mates I was standing with have gone both younger than me.
they were great times

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports