Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One for NSC twitchers

I was at Eastbourne Marina (Sovereign Harbour) last Tuesday, when a dirty great big herring gull flew over and dropped a huge shellfish from a great height on to the road. The gull then swooped down to devour the shellfish.

All this proves is that Eastbourne gulls are different from other seagulls. They eat FISH ffs. And they grow huge.

What's wrong with scavenging through bins like proper seagulls do in Brighton?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Was probably a greater black backed gull. About 50% bigger than the more common black headed gulls.

Correct. The normal grey/white gulls round here are absolutely petrified of the GBBG's taking their chicks which is why they gang up on them. The GBBG is far less intrusive to humans and the normal gulls will not nest anywhere near them, all a winner in my book. They are known to take ducks and even rabbits as prey.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In Arundel today there was a couple of these little beauties:-

Mandarin Duck
duck.jpg

A quite stunning sight in with all the boisterous, bullying and more than little bit 'predatory' (if you know what I mean) Mallards.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I was at Eastbourne Marina (Sovereign Harbour) last Tuesday, when a dirty great big herring gull flew over and dropped a huge shellfish from a great height on to the road. The gull then swooped down to devour the shellfish.

All this proves is that Eastbourne gulls are different from other seagulls. They eat FISH ffs. And they grow huge.

What's wrong with scavenging through bins like proper seagulls do in Brighton?

oh all the normal ones do just that believe me

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
On the twitching theme, but changing species for a second, have enjoyed watching a blue tit build a nest in a new box I put up over the last week or so. The bird spent a couple of nights in the box after it's work was seemingly finished, but I haven't seen any sign of it near the box for the last 4 or 5 days. Is this normal pending nesting time or has it abandoned the box ?

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
On the twitching theme, but changing species for a second, have enjoyed watching a blue tit build a nest in a new box I put up over the last week or so. The bird spent a couple of nights in the box after it's work was seemingly finished, but I haven't seen any sign of it near the box for the last 4 or 5 days. Is this normal pending nesting time or has it abandoned the box ?
Our nest-building sparrows did the same, but are back now, building a bit more. It might be a cunning plan to throw the local cats, or any other predators , off the scent.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Our nest-building sparrows did the same, but are back now, building a bit more. It might be a cunning plan to throw the local cats, or any other predators , off the scent.

Cheers. Also wondered if it was a bit of territory-staking. Wouldn't expect them to be laying eggs for another 2/3 weeks yet so we'll see. Fascinating having a box with an IR camera in it....hope they come back

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Almighty shrieking noise at the back of the chalet in the Rock Garden this week. Thought something was getting murdered or Katie Price was up their with her new squeeze. Very chuffed to find half a dozen Greater Spotted Woodpeckers looking for food.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I had some bad news on Thursday that's floored me somewhat since, but on Friday morning I darkly grinned through the sadness when spying on a local rook, basking in the morning sunlight, and picking out gleefully the innards of a recently-splattered squirrel. Life goes on, I suppose, I thought, at least for those beaky gut gobblers.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Almighty shrieking noise at the back of the chalet in the Rock Garden this week. Thought something was getting murdered or Katie Price was up their with her new squeeze. Very chuffed to find half a dozen Greater Spotted Woodpeckers looking for food.

Got a pair of these in the woods behind the house that are fairly regular visitors to the nut feeders. Very nervous and easily spooked though - if they see you move, even indoors, they'll fly off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here