Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One bad performance doesn't make a bad team

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We played badly tonight and deserved to lose to a Palace team which, let's face it, probably aren't as good as they seemed tonight. They deserved to win, fair play to them, but this thread isn't about them. It's about the fact that one bad performance doesn't mean we're a bad team. Dicker was poor, I agree, but he's had a lot of good games for us and you can say the same about Painter and Ankergren, who I thought both had solid games tonight without doing anything overly good. There isn't a fundamental problem because of one bad performance, we are being woken up and that's not a bad thing. It's only 9 games into the league season, we set our sights too high and we now need to amend our expectations and realise that what we've done so far has taken all of our players playing at a high level to achieve. They do drop off at times, and we've had an off night.

I hate the negativity that comes with the defeat. It's not all doom and gloom through one defeat. I am as gutted as anyone else, I was massively up for this game and really looked forward to it. Even at half time I strongly felt we would win the game and put the shaky end to the first half behind us. It didn't happen, and we folded badly. It's not the end of the world though, let's learn the lessons and move on. Glenn Murray was a little bit good on the night and could have had a couple more to add to his brilliant goal to kill the game. Nightmare night, but don't let it ruin anything.

The plastic fans who left at 1-1 have been found out though, and the weak fans who left at 1-2 were disappointing and those who left at 1-3 had had enough. I understand leaving at 1-3, though I wouldn't do that. I've had worse days supporting the Albion, in the grander scheme of things, tonight will rank as one of the worst as a Brighton fan, but overall I'm really happy with how our club is being run and managed. On the night we flopped, but that's football sometimes. Chins up, ladies and gents.

Sandaza's Nose

Jan 3, 2011
Well said - lets have some perspective here. Yes, we were shit and yes we were outplayed by our rivals; but 90 minutes doesn't make a season. People on here are turning on Poyet and writing off half the squad, it's ridiculous. This is the same team who smashed Cardiff at their place a few weeks ago and outplayed Liverpool for the second half last week. Get a grip. There have been a HELL of a lot worse times to be an Albion fan and there will be plenty worse in the future. I'm absolutely gutted but instead of moan and groan on here about how shit we are, why not get down to Ipswich on Saturday and get behind the boys?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I just think the championship is an incredibly competitive division with very slim margins between all teams. Therefore everyone will beat each other. E.g we beat Donnie, Donnie beat Palace, Palace beat us.

Therefore small margins can make a big difference. I think we badly missed Calders tonight and also the schedule of big games caught up with us.

The disturbing aspect though is we lost our shape completely, but Gus will work on this.

I fully expect us to get a result at Ipswich on Saturday, a team that have just beaten West Ham.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I just think the championship is an incredibly competitive division with very slim margins between all teams. Therefore everyone will beat each other. E.g we beat Donnie, Donnie beat Palace, Palace beat us.

Spot on.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We should take a day or two to be depressed about the result, but then move on. As Gus himself as said, he learnt a lot about the players tonight and he's not an idiot all of a sudden. Some of those players will have a lot of work on now to get back in the team and to justify being back. It couldn't have happened against worse opponents, so to speak, for them to have a shocker.

I should think that people like Matthew Sparrow will be having a little word with Gus in the morning, or will be the first bloke to turn up for training tomorrow and put in a real shift. I saw Hoskins with his family at the very end and wished him good luck on his first start for us on saturday (he loved it) and I think it's a real chance now for him, Sparrow and probably for Cook aswell. Assuming Calderon isn't recalled to play at centre back. The door has opened for a few players tonight, that might be a positive.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
With hindsight, Sparrow's energy might have suited tonight's game better than Harley's laidback style... must be something about that number 17 shirt...

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Must have been at a different match.

We were outplayed against Leeds in the first half, ditto by Liverpool. Palace came nowhere near either of those teams first half performances/dominance. looking back this loss was coming based on these first half performances.

We were poor and imploded in the last ten but were certainly not outplayed. I see it's fashionable on here at present to be saying the opposite so apologies for saying it as I saw!

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
One bad performance??

Did you not see away at Leicester, Liverpool 1st half, Leeds 1st half?

I know you don't become poor overnight but that's now 4 games in a row we've been SHIT! The pattern has got to stop now!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here