Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] On This Day 1997 - Goldstone (Warning: contains disturbing images)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Goes straight to gun shop, finds Triggaaars address and patiently lays in wait !!!!!:clap:
Just wait outside the Goldstone retail park, I'm bound to pop in soon enough.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
My last memories of the Goldstone, was that it was still complete, as I left just after the final whistle, and I'm not scared to admit I shed a tear and didn't look back :cry:

And when the Amex was started, well, what a day that was!

As [MENTION=1261]Northstander[/MENTION] said earlier in the thread, we had to have the rebirth to become what we have today, a team on the verge of being in top league again. :albion2:

And going to the Withdean was probably our most successful period in terms of our footballing history, with back to back titles, and some exciting games there.

I'm probably in the minority, but the night games at the Withdean we're/are completely different to night games at the Amex?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I went past a few times as the diggers were in and doing their worst and each time I saw the Goldstone reduced to rubble I felt like crying. However comfortable, modern and big the AMEX it is it never feels like home the way the Goldstone did

It was a shit hole though, although it was our little shit hole

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I avoided the place until we came back from Gillingham to Withdean then I shopped there, Now I find going there brings back more happy memories than sitting at home thinking about the Goldstone.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I was genuinely shocked by that first image

you wasn't joking when you said (Warning: contains disturbing images)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Never forget, and never forgive.

Build a bonfire
Build a bonfire
Put B****** on the top
Put B*** A***** in the middle
and then burn the ****ing lot.

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
Thanks for sharing, I have taken the liberty of saving them and although they are heart breaking in many ways, they still brought back great memories of some of the most exciting and often frightening times I have ever had.

Cheers

D

Deleted member 2719

I went past a few times as the diggers were in and doing their worst and each time I saw the Goldstone reduced to rubble I felt like crying. However comfortable, modern and big the AMEX it is it never feels like home the way the Goldstone did

This , the AMEX has a lot of years of football to be played there before it even comes close to the Goldstone.

Ps is that Barney rubble?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'm glad I never saw the demolition of the ground (until now).

Amazing to think that so much money passed hands, without any sort of benefit to the club, for a maximum of 40 (?) staff on at one time?

The community really benefited...

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
I dont have any regrets of moving from the Goldstone to the AMEX, as I found the Goldstone to be a tired, old dilapidated ground. But it was the manner in which it happened and how we were left to struggle on through years at Gillingham and Withdean.

Archer and Belotti should be strung up for what they did, because they certainly did not have the interests of BHA.

Would we have the AMEX if it didnt happen. Certainly not at Falmer, but Tony Bloom would still have been born and I would hope that he would have invested in the redevelopment of the whole Goldstone site.

I went to the AMEX for the first time this year and it was a nice experience, but it had no edge too it. Miss that edge and the AMEX will never have that. Certainly sad to see those pictures of the Goldstone.

Pictures taken from where I used to stand when there was no chance of it raining - my favourite view as long as you remembered a cap to shield the winter sun setting over the South Stand.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Archer, Stanley and Bellotti you are utter *******s.

Last edited:

Zen Frenzy

Jul 2, 2013
Withdean
That's the first time I've seen any demolition photos - very poignant as I can see the space in the North Stand (1/3 of the way down the north east side just to the left of the goal) where me and my mates stood in various states of euphoria, despair and inebriation from the seventies right the way through until the final Doncaster game. After the mendacious filth who tried to kill the club had finished with us I really did think we'd fizzle into nothing within a couple of years - I f**king love everybody who stuck with it and still pinch myself several times a season now that things have been turned around better than most people could have dreamed of.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I remember Spencer Vignes (occasional poster here) did a bit for MoTD magazine, to return and kick a ball where the centre circle was. Toys R Us staff were not impressed.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
Always thought id like my ashes to be spread on the centre circle of the goldstone... which shop would that be then? Never been, never seen.. on occasions had to drive past, I looked left ( and didn't crash ). Not local, so not had the need. Those last 2 years were bloody painful, yet have left me with some of the most heart-warming memories of solidarity, hope and elation - they are still vivid. The Albion is in our veins and means so much. Onwards we fly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here