Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

On this day 1976

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i can remember him skating across a frozenpitch and slamming one in against wolves i think......79-81 ish....the guy is a legend...!

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Those of us who saw him were quite honoured, I doubt if we will see the like of him again.

This.

Those few years, between 1975 and 1979 were the absolute best of my Albion-supporting life. Home and away, great football, great times and some really good players.

The ball would be bowled out to Mark Lawrenson, he would beat 3 or 4 players for fun, STROLL forward then slip the ball through to Peter Ward, who would then bamboozle the defence and RIFLE the ball home.

Magnificent

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
This.

Those few years, between 1975 and 1979 were the absolute best of my Albion-supporting life. Home and away, great football, great times and some really good players.

The ball would be bowled out to Mark Lawrenson, he would beat 3 or 4 players for fun, STROLL forward then slip the ball through to Peter Ward, who would then bamboozle the defence and RIFLE the ball home.

Magnificent

The skill levels demonstrated by Peter Ward are today only seen with the likes of Suarez, Messi etc. He stood up, was unafraid to take on a defender and run past him, a part of the game that is rarely seen these days, able to shoot with both feet and clever with it. All members of our current team should see how he dealt with a one on one, Jesse, Buckley, Stephens, as he was clinical, knew what he wanted and was fantastic in execution. I would also like to point out that we played a style that may have been called a passing game today, excepting that it was played at a high tempo and reminds me very much of the current Liverpool style. There s nothing new under the sun!

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
The skill levels demonstrated by Peter Ward are today only seen with the likes of Suarez, Messi etc. He stood up, was unafraid to take on a defender and run past him, a part of the game that is rarely seen these days, able to shoot with both feet and clever with it. All members of our current team should see how he dealt with a one on one, Jesse, Buckley, Stephens, as he was clinical, knew what he wanted and was fantastic in execution. I would also like to point out that we played a style that may have been called a passing game today, excepting that it was played at a high tempo and reminds me very much of the current Liverpool style. There s nothing new under the sun!

Agree ref Wards quality. Interestingly I think Lingard is a similar player, same position etc and even runs like Ward. BUT he is slower, less skilful, less confident and not close to Wards class. Last Saturday v Ipswich Wardy would have had us at least 2 up by HT.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Those of us who saw him were quite honoured, I doubt if we will see the like of him again.

Absolutely. It was such a privilege to watch Wardy. The only player I've watched since that has come remotely close to rekindling that same feeling of excitement was Vicente and we all know that on his day he was truly world class.

I agree with Hiney regarding a favorite time to watch us. Although in 76 I was only 9 those few years just can't be beat. There are so many moans these days about our football being boring, that simply wasn't the case then. So many fantastic performances, full of passion, speed and skill. Those were the days!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
A great example of Ward's clinical quality:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Absolutely. It was such a privilege to watch Wardy. The only player I've watched since that has come remotely close to rekindling that same feeling of excitement was Vicente and we all know that on his day he was truly world class.

I agree with Hiney regarding a favorite time to watch us. Although in 76 I was only 9 those few years just can't be beat. There are so many moans these days about our football being boring, that simply wasn't the case then. So many fantastic performances, full of passion, speed and skill. Those were the days!

For me, it was also about freedom in my life.

No ties, no mortgage, no crap.

Just beer, football and records to spend my money on and if I wanted to go to Notts County, Sheffield, Oldham or Blackburn, then **** it, I went. I didn't have to produce a Business Case to justify the spend.

Brilliant, brilliant times.

I can remember feeling outraged that Taylor could drop Fred and play an unknown from the reserves. Didn't last long though.

I can remember going to reserve matches at the Goldstone around this time where there were up to a thousand spectators or more; PW wasn't an unknown to these and his first team debut was eagerly awaited. A fairy tale it was too.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I can remember going to reserve matches at the Goldstone around this time where there were up to a thousand spectators or more; PW wasn't an unknown to these and his first team debut was eagerly awaited. A fairy tale it was too.

Fair point - but having never been to a reserve game he was unknown to me at the time.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex

Went to a few reserve games with my dad at that time because we signed Wardy.
We just had to go to Hereford and see him.
The next few years were magical, especially his partnership with Spider.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

My dad took me to a couple of those. There was a lot of pressure from fans and the Argus to get Wardy into the first team quickly iirc.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
For me, it was also about freedom in my life.

Ha ha, true!

Although I wasn't as old as you, for me as a kid, Albion were everything to me. Those days cemented a love for BHA which is a lifelong thing. That's why when we were in the doldrums, it still meant something to watch us against the likes of Bury, Rochdale and Halifax for example. Although the Amex is home and I love it, I've enjoyed watching us in all our incarnations. It's probably why I can't get too upset about us possibly not making the playoffs. It's always been a roller coaster with Albion, we need to sit back and enjoy it!

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Ha ha, true!

Although I wasn't as old as you, for me as a kid, Albion were everything to me. Those days cemented a love for BHA which is a lifelong thing. That's why when we were in the doldrums, it still meant something to watch us against the likes of Bury, Rochdale and Halifax for example. Although the Amex is home and I love it, I've enjoyed watching us in all our incarnations. It's probably why I can't get too upset about us possibly not making the playoffs. It's always been a roller coaster with Albion, we need to sit back and enjoy it!

Bang!

This!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Real halycon days for me, 17 years old in 76, I lived for football, girls, music, and beer.Went to as many away games as i could afford to go to, and gigs, punk just starting,and I got up in the morning, and not ache all over

We played Hereford United

Fred Binney couldn't play so we gave a debut to a young player called Peter Ward

The rest, as they say, is history

au41.jpg

gz0x.jpg

Still got my green and black scarf i bought for the game???

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Marvellously and correctly punctuated!

wardsawinner.jpg

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Some young Albion fans have only seen Vicente , others have only seen Zamora and Vicente , but us old-uns have been honoured by seeing Ward , Zamora and Vicente.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here