Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

On this day 104 years ago........................... ..

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Charlie Webb was actually associated with the club for almost 40 years, from 1908 to 1947.

Before WWI he played 275 games over seven seasons as an inside forward, scoring 79 goals, including the Charity Shield winner. Selected for Ireland, he was also the first Albion player to win full international caps.

After getting captured by the Germans during the war and spending eight months in a PoW camp, he returned to manage the club for 28 years (!) - making him by far the club's longest serving manager. In total, he was in charge for 1,215 matches, earning him the nickname of 'Mr Albion'.

Great story!

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
This is the team that actually won it:

Brighton_%26_Hove_Albion_1910.jpg

I bought a mug on eBay that has this postcard reproduced on it. Champions of all England. Take us another couple of years to do that again.

Was this before the rules were changed so that keepers had to wear a different coloured top ?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Was this before the rules were changed so that keepers had to wear a different coloured top ?

No, it's just in that picture Bob Whiting is wearing an outfield shirt.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
No, it's just in that picture Bob Whiting is wearing an outfield shirt.

Here's Bob, presumably at the Goldstone, in slightly more traditional goalkeeping attire (although it does look rather like he's wearing a white polo neck jumper!)

v0_master.jpg

Feb 14, 2010
Happy days! Where did it all start going wrong..............

Good question. Time it started to change. Large support and no success, that's the Albion. Be nice after 100 odd years for a large support with success. The Champions of All England 1910 showed the way.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Has anyone else noticed the lack of palace fans on this thread.. I wonder why..?

It is a SCUM free thread because any Nigel considering making a comment knows it is nothing to do with them.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Charlie Webb was actually associated with the club for almost 40 years, from 1908 to 1947.

Before WWI he played 275 games over seven seasons as an inside forward, scoring 79 goals, including the Charity Shield winner. Selected for Ireland, he was also the first Albion player to win full international caps.

After getting captured by the Germans during the war and spending eight months in a PoW camp, he returned to manage the club for 28 years (!) - making him by far the club's longest serving manager. In total, he was in charge for 1,215 matches, earning him the nickname of 'Mr Albion'.

You left out an interesting fact.
Portsmouth beat Arsenal 2-1 at the Goldstone in a testimonial game for him on 28 Sept 1949

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here