Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] On Hodgson and Olise

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Olise now out for a minimum of two more months with his injury. Which is a shame :D

The wailing from Palace fans at this has been quite spectacular. We were literally talking at half time in the game about whether it would be worth Hodgson bringing him on for a game that could easily have been written off at that point. He brings him on the surprise of most of us, and then we all know how it ended. And Palace fans are using it as yet another stick to beat Hodgson with.

My point is this. Michael Olise is a professional athlete. He suffered a hamstring tear so severe back in May that he required surgery and didn't play again for six months. He's been managed carefully since then, and in fact came off in their previous game with- oh!- a tight hamstring.

The Palace medical staff have then assessed him based, at least partially, you'd think, on what Olise is telling them he's feeling. If he tells them it's still sore, or tight, then they tell Hodgson he's not fit. But presumably he's said to them that he feels fine. Perhaps he's desperate to play. Perhaps he genuinely did feel fine and this is just a freak incident caused by the fact his hamstrings are made of unicorn hair and angel tears.

Or maybe he, as a professional footballer with a history of hamstring injuries, should have said to the medical team and to Roy Hodgson when asked if he felt fit enough to play, "sorry gaffer, I'm just not confident in it right now". Take some responsibility, you know? We were all surprised Roy risked him (at least we were where I sit) but there must be SOME onus on the player here, surely? It's not like Hodgson is thinking "f*** it, let's see if we can put our best player out until April now", is it?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This one has to be on the medical team. I was surprised that Roy threw them under the bus in the post match interviews, but can understand why he did as it reflected badly on him and wasn't his fault.
If only the medical team had access to MRI scans and experience in dealing with sports injuries!
Oh.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
It's just an absolute clusterfuck all round - and a brilliantly amusing one at that. All three parties in this should shoulder the blame fairly equally, I think. Perhaps Roy carries a bit more blame for wanting to take a massively unnecessary risk in a game that was 99% already gone. Even if Olise had been fit enough to play 45 minutes without pinging his clearly Will Buckley-like, limited-edition glass hamstring, it was still a crazy move I think. As a player who has really suffered over the past few months, surely you take a calculated decision to think 'yes, this is Brighton but we're 3-0 down at half time, with our best CB already limped off, so let's write this off and focus on the next few games instead.'

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
This farce reflects badly on all concerned, and yes Olise also bears some responsibility in addition to the clear clown show they have masquerading as a medical staff and the main man Roy. It's bloody hilarious.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I wonder if Hodgson would have done it against anyone else. At half-time it was looking like we could win that game 6 or 7-0, and Hodgson would have known that was the end of his job. If he could even come away with a respectable ish 3-2 defeat then it would be nowhere near as bad for him. It was madness to risk him, but I expect Roy thought he was in last chance saloon territory.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't see this as Roy's fault at all. The medical team said he was fit to play 45 minutes so any blame should be attached to them.
Of course they'll have scans and do tests, consider load management etc, but even the most advanced sports scientists are limited to a degree by the information the athlete is giving them, ie does it hurt, does it feel tight etc.

If Olise is telling them it's all golden, what are they supposed to do?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Olise now out for a minimum of two more months with his injury. Which is a shame :D

The wailing from Palace fans at this has been quite spectacular. We were literally talking at half time in the game about whether it would be worth Hodgson bringing him on for a game that could easily have been written off at that point. He brings him on the surprise of most of us, and then we all know how it ended. And Palace fans are using it as yet another stick to beat Hodgson with.

My point is this. Michael Olise is a professional athlete. He suffered a hamstring tear so severe back in May that he required surgery and didn't play again for six months. He's been managed carefully since then, and in fact came off in their previous game with- oh!- a tight hamstring.

The Palace medical staff have then assessed him based, at least partially, you'd think, on what Olise is telling them he's feeling. If he tells them it's still sore, or tight, then they tell Hodgson he's not fit. But presumably he's said to them that he feels fine. Perhaps he's desperate to play. Perhaps he genuinely did feel fine and this is just a freak incident caused by the fact his hamstrings are made of unicorn hair and angel tears.

Or maybe he, as a professional footballer with a history of hamstring injuries, should have said to the medical team and to Roy Hodgson when asked if he felt fit enough to play, "sorry gaffer, I'm just not confident in it right now". Take some responsibility, you know? We were all surprised Roy risked him (at least we were where I sit) but there must be SOME onus on the player here, surely? It's not like Hodgson is thinking "f*** it, let's see if we can put our best player out until April now", is it?
As Lineker alluded on MOTD. If he's Injured or with a hamstring issue, there's no way he could play any part, it's ridiculous that someone suggested he could do 1 half? He's either fully fit or he isn't.

Anyway, despite all that and the enjoyable farce that CPFC is becoming.

They'll still survive because of FFP dedcutuons on others.

They're the spawniest f***ers in the league.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
Seemed a crazy decision with the game, to all intents and purposes, lost at that point. If there were any doubts about his fitness, surely he wouldn't have been risked? Can only think that the medical staff somehow got it wrong and passed him as fit to play.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It's just an absolute clusterfuck all round - and a brilliantly amusing one at that. All three parties in this should shoulder the blame fairly equally, I think. Perhaps Roy carries a bit more blame for wanting to take a massively unnecessary risk in a game that was 99% already gone. Even if Olise had been fit enough to play 45 minutes without pinging his clearly Will Buckley-like, limited-edition glass hamstring, it was still a crazy move I think. As a player who has really suffered over the past few months, surely you take a calculated decision to think 'yes, this is Brighton but we're 3-0 down at half time, with our best CB already limped off, so let's write this off and focus on the next few games instead.'
Olise needed time on the pitch. I would argue that the best time to get some is in a game that has already gone either way.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It's largely on the medical team I think but they weren't the ones who thought it would be a good idea to throw on a mostly recovered player whilst 3-0 down, in a derby, away from home, with the team generally looking like they'd never kicked a football before.

It's just an absolute calamity of a decision, whoever made it.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I wonder if Hodgson would have done it against anyone else. At half-time it was looking like we could win that game 6 or 7-0, and Hodgson would have known that was the end of his job. If he could even come away with a respectable ish 3-2 defeat then it would be nowhere near as bad from him. It was madness to risk him, but I expect Roy thought he was in last chance saloon territory.

Totally agree. I made this point to someone on Sunday. This seems to be a decision that Roy took in the interests of himself and not the club.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Different views here, as ever.

Can we all agree at least that it's extremely amusing?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Olise needed time on the pitch. I would argue that the best time to get some is in a game that has already gone either way.

I'd disagree. If you've had a history of recent hamstring injuries, including a recurrence barely four days before this game, I don't think the best cure is to come on for 45 minutes into an environment where your fans are going to expect you to be covering every blade of grass to ensure the result doesn't become embarrassing. In a game that isn't against us, I'd take your point, but I can't imagine the Palace fans would be too happy if Olise came on and spent 45 minutes trotting around gingerly.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I think you’re all being a bit harsh.

I for one, feel a bit sorry for the medical staff

Attachments

• 7DEC15D6-1929-4C27-A29F-3EA49CCB0918.jpeg
    7DEC15D6-1929-4C27-A29F-3EA49CCB0918.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 57

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
#TeamRoy on this one.

The player and the medical staff must have had confidence that he was OK to return to match action, but not a full 90 minutes. We see it often enough with our own returnees.

So what does Roy do? If he had left him on the bench, he'd have got stick from some Palace fans for not putting him on. "We were three nil down to THEM, Olise was on the bench and he didn't even give him a go".

So, he did give him a go - based on being told he was ok for 45 minutes - and it didn't work. So he gets stick for that instead.

Hindsight is great, isn't it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here