Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Olympic sport funding levels

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
£25m for a silver and a bronze in the swimming isn't a great return is it? Especially with a number of 'medal hopes' not even getting to the finals.

Let's hope Addlington can improve on that later or I feel that the swimmers may get a cut in funding.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
£25m for a silver and a bronze in the swimming isn't a great return is it? Especially with a number of 'medal hopes' not even getting to the finals.

Let's hope Addlington can improve on that later or I feel that the swimmers may get a cut in funding.

Not just Addlington. Kerrianne Payne could get gold too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It does rather embarrass swimming, 1 more medal for swimming isn't going to change anything, compared to cycling and rowing.
2 medals in total that will really hurt.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Throwing money at swimming training is polishing a turd. We are never going to become a proper swimming nation until we address the lack of Olympic facilities, and I'm not sure we have the appetite for that. How many Olympic sized pools are there in the UK? I'll bet Sydney alone has more. Sydney is remarkable in that there are 50m outdoor pools all over the city, and the weather to justify them.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It does rather embarrass swimming, 1 more medal for swimming isn't going to change anything, compared to cycling and rowing.
2 medals in total that will really hurt.
we have two so far - Adlinton bronze, Jamieson silver.

We are likely to get two more, but the target was between 5 and 7, so still 1 to 3 short.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Investment in rowing, cycling and swimming has tangible benefits as technology plays a key part. Swimming is purely about the athletes performance so investment won't automatically lead to results. It's clear that Britain invests in the areas where we can gain advantage. We could spend as much money as we want but wouldn't necessarily ever find someone who can run as fast as Usain Bolt.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
WTF is goal ball?

goalball.jpg

http://www.uksport.gov.uk/sport/summer/goalball

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Throwing money at swimming training is polishing a turd. We are never going to become a proper swimming nation until we address the lack of Olympic facilities, and I'm not sure we have the appetite for that. How many Olympic sized pools are there in the UK? I'll bet Sydney alone has more. Sydney is remarkable in that there are 50m outdoor pools all over the city, and the weather to justify them.

True to an extent, however the girl from Lithuania who lives and trains in Devon seems to have done OK.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Investment in rowing, cycling and swimming has tangible benefits as technology plays a key part. Swimming is purely about the athletes performance so investment won't automatically lead to results. It's clear that Britain invests in the areas where we can gain advantage. We could spend as much money as we want but wouldn't necessarily ever find someone who can run as fast as Usain Bolt.

Funding has little to do with their equipment, it pays for their "salaries" and allows them to get the best coaches and facilities etc. In swimming, the US collegiate system certainly seems to work. The fact that they are racing other high level swimmers every day spurs them on to higher levels.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

To play devil's advocate, you could say the same about cycling. Not many velodromes around the place and we have some of the worst cycling roads in Europe - doing OK though.

But it's certainly true that swimming facilities are poor. Look at Brighton & Hove - it's a city of 250k people, a tourist destination, and it has a grand total of 3 pools (4 if you count the lido). None of them is 50m and King Alfred's looks like it's been around since, er, King Alfred's time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
we have two so far - Adlinton bronze, Jamieson silver.

We are likely to get two more, but the target was between 5 and 7, so still 1 to 3 short.
The way it's been going I wouldn't go on a chicken count, just yet.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
True to an extent, however the girl from Lithuania who lives and trains in Devon seems to have done OK.
As has Rebecca Adlington. So the training is clearly great, but we don't have the critical mass of top quality swimmers because British talent simply hasn't discovered the swimming pool I suspect.

To play devil's advocate, you could say the same about cycling. Not many velodromes around the place and we have some of the worst cycling roads in Europe - doing OK though.

But it's certainly true that swimming facilities are poor. Look at Brighton & Hove - it's a city of 250k people, a tourist destination, and it has a grand total of 3 pools (4 if you count the lido). None of them is 50m and King Alfred's looks like it's been around since, er, King Alfred's time.
Some good points there regarding the cycling, none of which I disagree with. So why are we so good? It must be a combination of:
* a bold overhaul of British Cycling nearly a decade ago
* Brailsford brilliance
* additional funding
* a golden generation of cyclists that Britain has never seen before and will quite possibly never see again

The way it's been going I wouldn't go on a chicken count, just yet.
Indeed not! I'm not predicting two golds. Adlington is just as likely to get silver as she is gold. No medal there though would be MASSIVELY disappointing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some good points there regarding the cycling, none of which I disagree with. So why are we so good? It must be a combination of:
* a bold overhaul of British Cycling nearly a decade ago
* Brailsford brilliance
* additional funding
* a golden generation of cyclists that Britain has never seen before and will quite possibly never see again
Point 1 - Correct
Point 2 - Correct-ish, Dave B's main brilliance stems from employing the best and letting them get on with it.
Point 3 - Spent wisely see what it can do.
Point 4 - Wrong diddly wrong wrong. As in the rowing if you put everything else in place, the athletes will always be there.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

The UK now has over twenty 50m pools (Olympic Pool and 50m pool is not the same thing - the number and the width of lanes, plus the quality of the lane dividers come into it too).

The levels of participation in junior swimming are huge, and for kids to be swimming in the 25m pools really isn't an issue. Its about identifying the potential early on, and keeping the really talented ones interested, ahead of other more glamourous sports. The US college system does work, (and a decent % of the GB team are in it).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The UK now has over twenty 50m pools (Olympic Pool and 50m pool is not the same thing - the number and the width of lanes, plus the quality of the lane dividers come into it too).

Prior to this Olympics we had 2 competition velodromes, (Manchester & Newport) and a slightly smaller one in Calshott.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Prior to this Olympics we had 2 competition velodromes, (Manchester & Newport) and a slightly smaller one in Calshott.

Er, yes. I know - I've worked in all of them. My point is that any problems in swimming can NOT be shrugged off as 'down to a lack of facilities'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here