Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oliver Norwood Signs!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
We dropped point last season when Stephens and/or Kayal were out. Now we have Sidwell and Norwood we are much, much stronger. Great signing, happy with that.

Just a centre back and a striker to go. I wonder if Towell is going to be a number 10 option?
I'm not convinced we'll sign a striker. I think Hughton will go with the 3 he's got and will find another player, like Pritchard, to operate behind the striker.

Seagullssss

Aug 3, 2016
Excellent signing. Perfect age at 25, impressed since moving to Huddersfield in 2012. Has played a minimum of 39 league games each season meaning it is likely we will be able to depend on him throughout the season. Of course the negative will be if Stephens goes, but if he doesn't, Norwood is a real symbol of intent for next season.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I'm not convinced we'll sign a striker. I think Hughton will go with the 3 he's got and will find another player, like Pritchard, to operate behind the striker.

I think it will be very brave (and stupid) to go with just 3 strikers. Asking Murray and Baldock to go injury free is a big ask. I think we could find ourselves with just 1 fit striker at times if we do not sign someone.

The Norwood signing has shown we are going for strength in depth - hopefully that means all over the pitch.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I think it will be very brave (and stupid) to go with just 3 strikers. Asking Murray and Baldock to go injury free is a big ask. I think we could find ourselves with just 1 fit striker at times if we do not sign someone.

The Norwood signing has shown we are going for strength in depth - hopefully that means all over the pitch.

My thinking is that Pritchard(or similar) would be used as a second striker meaning either Murray or Hemed lead the line on their own. I think our 4-4-1-1 this season will be 5 midfielders and 1 striker.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Is it me? Or is Oliver Norwood a dead ringer for Dale Stephens?

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
Agreed and I hope he pushes both Stephens and Kayal for their places, good competition in my eyes.
Stephens and Kayal were immense last season but Norwood has played plenty of games at a good level and is a full international, great that selection certainties are being challenged for a place, also shifts power back towards the club in terms of contract negotiations and transfers.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
My thinking is that Pritchard(or similar) would be used as a second striker meaning either Murray or Hemed lead the line on their own. I think our 4-4-1-1 this season will be 5 midfielders and 1 striker.

I agree..and just maybe we have to offer something different than last season..(particularly away from home), as we will no longer be as underrated as we were at the start of last season...

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Just spoken to a mate who is a Reading fan who is very pissed off and think we have got a bargain.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London

Spot on. After last season, when the injuries effectively cost us automatic promotion, we must have 4 strikers. And as you say, Baldock's injury record is poor. If one of those is a little bit different, a Teddy Sherringham type for want of a better term, then fine but 4 is essential.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Myself included, my opinion changed on Stephens when the partnership with Kayal blossomed and I do wonder how Stephens would actually get on in another club without Kayal.

I thought what we saw of him under Oscar in the 3 man midfield was very positive before he got injured. Did he even play under Hyypia? If he did I think we can discount it, Hyypia had the reverse midas touch, he'd probably make Ronaldo look terrible.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Norwood seems a better bet than Pritchard to me, although Pritchard is more of a goalscorer. I want us to push Dale Stephens forward more.

So we have two midfielders, Norwood and Kayal who are not renowned for scoring and a forward in Baldock who only scores in 20% chance in 90 minutes.

Not complaining, My analysis said that a midfielder who is tenacious and could keep hold of the ball was what we needed to consolidate our leads. For his relatively young age Norwood has got a hell of a lot of experience in the Championship.

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Can see Norwood starting most away games and sacrifice one winger. In home games where we start with two wide men he might more often be first off the bench to protect a lead.
His inclusion might allow Kayal (rather than Stephens) to play further upfield (remember the impact in his first game as a sub v Forest?) but would it be very surprising to see Knockaert in the No 10 role ahead of Baldock allowing Murphy/March/Skalak to start out wide?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here