[Misc] Older Dads

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
This thread gives me hope, my partner wants to start trying at 41, she is 8 years younger.
I don't want to be overly negative, but 41 is quite old for a women to be able to conceive, even with IVF. The NHS will normally only offer one round of IVF to women between 40-42 and it's not usually offered after 42 as the chances of success are so low.

Basically, if she wants to do it then don't mess about and get booked into a fertility clinic before she turns 42!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don't want to be overly negative, but 41 is quite old for a women to be able to conceive, even with IVF. The NHS will normally only offer one round of IVF to women between 40-42 and it's not usually offered after 42 as the chances of success are so low.

Basically, if she wants to do it then don't mess about and get booked into a fertility clinic before she turns 42!
I might be wrong, but I read that as @deletebeepbeepbeep being 41 and his partner being eight years younger :shrug:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Interesting thread this.

I’m 36 and have an 18 month but really interested, and to be honest surprised, that I feel relatively young/middle on the nursery pick up/drop off.
In our baby journey group from 7 couples there were also 4 older than me.
Not sure if it’s the town/area I live or whether the average age of parents has gone up in general, perhaps a bit of both.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Genuine question and I speak to mates about this, do you worry about the world your kids are going to grow up in? If you believe people like Attenborough there might not be much left in 20 years..

I worried when my kids were small what sort of world they would grow up in. They're now 27 and 29 and both actively involved in trying to make things better whilst having the same concerns about any kids they may have. I don't believe it's a reason not to have kids, but rather a reason to make sure your kids understand the issues and try to make a difference themselves :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I worried when my kids were small what sort of world they would grow up in. They're now 27 and 29 and both actively involved in trying to make things better whilst having the same concerns about any kids they may have. I don't believe it's a reason not to have kids, but rather a reason to make sure your kids understand the issues and try to make a difference themselves :thumbsup:

I look at the micro and macro positives. I’ve been a kinder more attentive Dad than mine was (he’s a good bloke, but older British gen’s, passed down, were colder). I’ve passed on my love of the environment, animals. The majority of today’s kids/teens/twenties are more tolerant and inclusive.

There’s always been sh1t. Imagine being young in 1914 or 1933 with what lay ahead.

anygivensunday

Jul 5, 2012
Singapore
Literally been thinking about this recently. I'm 36 and specifically never wanted any kids. (For various practical/'philosophical' reasons)
Started to change my mind in the last 6 months or so. The missus is 10 years younger so have a bit of time on our side but I figure the cut off point for me would have to be about 42/43 though. A mate had his first at 42 and just had another at 45.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Genuine question and I speak to mates about this, do you worry about the world your kids are going to grow up in? If you believe people like Attenborough there might not be much left in 20 years..
No, I don't worry for them. I believe strongly that climate change will have major effects (migration, food production, sea level etc) but some of these changes will be very slow (eg sea level).
My son (14) and stepson (25) understand the science but express zero fear of it. It's 'just' the world they grow up in, they will adapt as needed (or not .. they still want to fly eg). The UK isn't currently in a war at the mo. They'll be fine... their grandchildren maybe less so.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022

I pretty much wrote an essay on this in response, but have had the good sense to delete it. Consider it my Christmas gift to NSC. The short answer is yes.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I inherited a stepson(he was 11 then) when I was 55, and our son (now 14) was born 3 months later 😬.
Our teenage niece moved from Ukraine to live with us when I was 67 (stay awake at the back).
How am I?.... I'm f*cking exhausted 😂.
The taxiing around to clubs etc is a bit tiring, and I get annoyed when my 14 year old wants to start gaming online with his mates at 10pm when I need an early night...but, being retired, I actually have time to spend with them (well, when they want it).
They keep me young minded and interested in the world (both their world view and my own view). Personally I'm happy I didn't miss out on parenting.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I was 37 and 40 when my two were born. That's probably c 4-5 years older than the average dad age in my village, but given I have good looks, a full head of hair and I listen to those rappers they have nowadays no one can tell the difference.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Literally been thinking about this recently. I'm 36 and specifically never wanted any kids. (For various practical/'philosophical' reasons)
Started to change my mind in the last 6 months or so. The missus is 10 years younger so have a bit of time on our side but I figure the cut off point for me would have to be about 42/43 though. A mate had his first at 42 and just had another at 45.

I had no yearning to be a Dad, apparently that’s very common, until they came along. 21 years later, it’s been great.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I had a baby boy in March, now I’m getting on a bit, but he’s given me a new outlook on life and I feel 20 years younger!

Age is only a number!!

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I wouldn’t take any notice of Attenborough, he’s spent 50+ years flying around the world filming animals shagging and now wants to bang on about climate change :moo: :smile:
The only reason we know of the destruction of rain forest etc is because of the likes of Attenborough, so I’ll give him the benefit of doubt regards flights.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I had no yearning to be a Dad, apparently that’s very common, until they came along. 21 years later, it’s been great.
Yep, I didn't have a paternal bone in my body, but Mrs B was the exact opposite and possibly the most maternal, caring person I know, so it was only going to go one way. I wouldn't change it for anything. Nineteen years – and three kids – later, they are amazing. Hard work and frustrating at times, but absolutely beautiful people.

Going to the Albion with the older two (boys) is one reason why I'm less fussed about performances/results at the end of the game. Just having the opportunity to hang out with them is often enough for me. Give it time and Princess (and maybe also Mrs B one day) will be coming along too :thumbsup:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
My father was 59 when I was born. He fought in the First World War.

That's incredible. If it's not rude to ask what age were you when he passed?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports