Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Old Recipes and Butchers who sell Rabbit

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hilary Briss can sort you out with special stuff.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Cooking venison for dinner tonight.

Here is the place to buy. Bit of a drive but PM me and I can accommodate refreshments on the patio.

https://macknade.com/

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just had a look at Sainsbury's on-line. They don't appear to do rabbit any more. They do do ostrich though (not old fashioned food, I know, but interesting!)
If it's anything like Emu, which I had in Oz a couple of times, it will be incredibly lean and therefore need to be cooked even rarer than venison!

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I can remember eating kidneys once, and I could actually taste the piss. I'm not joking either.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
A while back I walked past a butcher's in Lewes Road, I think it was Clark's and they had a sign outside saying they had rabbit. I rang my mum as she had mentioned that she had been struggling to get some. As it turned out, she had found some at a farmer's market that weekend, so I didn't go in, so didn't find out whether they get it regularly. It might be worth giving them a try.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I've always loved Liver but have found recently that Supermarket pre packed liver seems to be awful. I always used to like lambs liver but the only good liver I've had in the last couple of years has been calves Liver from a Butcher ???

I've just realised I'm edging slowly but inexorably into @BensGrandad territory :angel:
I'm particularly fussy about tubes, gristle and sinews etc. in mine so my tip is to slice up the liver and trim or bin off any bits which aren't completely tender. I usually put this to 1 side and cook next time the oven is on and give to the dog.

The remainder is the most delicious meal - I tend to also use Browning to give colour (go steady if you haven't used it before) and slow cook on very low for a few hours. Serve with mash or steamed new potatoes, peas and butter beans or carrots.

My Mrs has an iron deficiency, so we have this fairly regularly when her levels drop.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Southwick Butchers, Southwick Square do rabbit, all manner of offal and a few exotic meats.
Rabbit is usually in the display counter inside the shop, and offal in the freezer cabinet. They also do venison and goat.

We've been going there for a long time.
I'd completely forgotten about them - used to go there when I worked on the corner of Southwick Square. Great butchers, a little more expensive than most but that's probably due to the huge range they stock.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I had a chat with my Mum on Thursday and we were talking about things we used to eat and very rarely have these days. Back when I was growing up one of my mates had ferrets and another a greyhound and we used to regularly catch rabbits over the downs, bring them home and having Rabbit Stew. Ever since Thursday I've been having a craving for Rabbit.

So can anyone suggest a local butcher that sells Rabbits, preferably local, but failing that Chinese ? (I do know of a very good restaurant that does a brilliant Rabbit and lentil dish but unfortunately it's in the Mountains of Majorca).

And any suggestions for other 'old' recipes that have gone out of fashion ?

Thanking you in anticipation
Archers on Islingword Road

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I'd completely forgotten about them - used to go there when I worked on the corner of Southwick Square. Great butchers, a little more expensive than most but that's probably due to the huge range they stock.
If you spend a decent amount, as we do, they will give you a discount, so say, £42 becomes 'call it £40'.

I forgot to say, they do cuts that you don't always find in the supermarket - neck of lamb, lamb fillet, pork fillet, oxtail, as well as black pudding, lamb mince, butcher's sausages, burgers, kebabs etc. They also do a variety of bulk packs if you can't decide.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If you spend a decent amount, as we do, they will give you a discount, so say, £42 becomes 'call it £40'.

I forgot to say, they do cuts that you don't always find in the supermarket - neck of lamb, lamb fillet, pork fillet, oxtail, as well as black pudding, lamb mince, butcher's sausages, burgers, kebabs etc. They also do a variety of bulk packs if you can't decide.
You've sold it to me, I'm off down there tomorrow. Hope you're on commission :wink:

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Turner's butchers down the Broyle in Ringmer sell rabbit.

I bought some liver in there last week and made liver and bacon for the first time in years. I'd forgotten how nice it it.

Next on my list of less popular meats to buy is lamb's breast. I've cooked a slight variation of this recipe before (but without the olives and capers) which was really good, so will be cooking that again.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Recently tried to get Mrs Saladpack to get some rabbit, but she's not keen. My Dad was a farmworker and would go out with the gun most evenings, quite often bagging a brace. He taught me how to skin and prepare them for the pot, though you always had to watch out for the lead shot which could still be present when eating them! Not good for your teeth! When gutting the rabbits, Dad and I would eat, raw, the still-warm kidneys. Not everyone's cup of tea, but don't knock it till you've tried it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here