Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Old Recipes and Butchers who sell Rabbit

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Try a Game Dealer if you want wild Rabbit, there has been a lot of myxomatosis last few years though and numbers are way down on 10 years ago.
the big problem eating foods with myxomatosis is that it is very difficult getting your shoes on the right feet afterwards

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
My aunt used to make pigeon pie and also bowls of elvers.

I never quite managed to try either🤢

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The conversation we were actually having was about my Mum's grandfather, who apparently used to keep half a dozen hutches in the garden for Rabbits for the pot. Fed them on scraps (carrot tops, dandelions, various weeds etc,) very low fat healthy meat and apparently, they bred like Rabbits.

Very green, sustainable and cheap, but I don't think I would get it past Mrs Wz :rolleyes:
My mums dad had about 6 hutches in his back garden for rabbits. When we were younger we always used to rush out and feed them when visiting and wonder why some had gone. He used to sell to the locals in whitehawk.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Southwick Butchers, Southwick Square do rabbit, all manner of offal and a few exotic meats.
Rabbit is usually in the display counter inside the shop, and offal in the freezer cabinet. They also do venison and goat.

We've been going there for a long time.
Thanks to this very kind NSCer, I am just about to cook Rabbit and Lentil Stew ready for an early dinner before leaving for the match (y)

(And I got a nice bit of Calves liver too)

Up here in the land of the 6 fingered it is very easy to get game at a very cheap price. Last year I went into our butcher, who knew my wife was the daughter of a gamekeeper and was happy to gut/pluck/skin pretty much anything. He told me he had more partridge than he knew what to do with and asked if I would like "a few" at a good price. I walked out with a bread tray containing 25 partridge and 6 pigeons all still in the feather for the princely some of £5. Our kitchen was quite a sight that day as we set about plucking and butchering them up for the freezer.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Up here in the land of the 6 fingered it is very easy to get game at a very cheap price. Last year I went into our butcher, who knew my wife was the daughter of a gamekeeper and was happy to gut/pluck/skin pretty much anything. He told me he had more partridge than he knew what to do with and asked if I would like "a few" at a good price. I walked out with a bread tray containing 25 partridge and 6 pigeons all still in the feather for the princely some of £5. Our kitchen was quite a sight that day as we set about plucking and butchering them up for the freezer.

Any chance you could pop a few in a cold box and send them south :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here