Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Oh to be Watford

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think people need to check the new directives as to what handball actually is. That was handball tonight as was the PSG one against Utd. If you want to blame the laws of the game then do so but not these referees.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I think people need to check the new directives as to what handball actually is. That was handball tonight as was the PSG one against Utd. If you want to blame the laws of the game then do so but not these referees.
The law(s) an ass.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Who has blamed the referee? He correctly gave a corner. VAR forced him to overturn his original decision. Don't blame him at all.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Who has blamed the referee? He correctly gave a corner. VAR forced him to overturn his original decision. Don't blame him at all.

Ok blaming VAR then. The correct decision was made. The ref could have overruled it after looking at the replay but chose to give the penalty accepting he was wrong and VAR was correct in highlighting it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ok blaming VAR then. The correct decision was made. The ref could have overruled it after looking at the replay but chose to give the penalty accepting he was wrong and VAR was correct in highlighting it.

Not really, the handball directive is exactly that, a directive for when using VAR. The rules are having to be adapted on the hoof to deal with the technology. Meanwhile every game without VAR that isn't handball, with VAR it is. Great system.

Where it is wrong, is that it should be for the shockers, like ours against Burnley, or Henry in the world cup qualifier, it shouldn't be used to be making marginal calls. If that was cricket, it would have stayed with the on-field decision.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Meanwhile every game without VAR that isn't handball, with VAR it is. Great system.

Yup, thanks to VAR we now effectively have two different codes of football, as the FA Cup Quarter Finals amply demonstrated. Poor.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

By referring to VAR, that is a referee. Senior ref on the pitch and another ref watching replays advising him what he might have missed.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Hand ball against Rose tonight diving in, never intentional, just that he can't remove his arm when making a challenge.

He's blocked a goal bound shot. He's slid in and turned and his arm is slightly raised. Personally agree that it was a good call. Would have been different if perhaps the ball had come off his leg onto his arm.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yup, thanks to VAR we now effectively have two different codes of football, as the FA Cup Quarter Finals amply demonstrated. Poor.
As far as I'm concerned, this isn't the fault of VAR, it is the fault of a poorly thought through enforcement of a dated, crap hand-ball law.

I.e. if the referee had SEEN the handball in the first place, he'd still be instructed to give it.

My issue with VAR is that how it is meant to be used hasn't been properly defined, leading to accusations of it being a total mess. It is, and that needs to be addressed.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Handball definition changed for goal-scoring situations. MANCHESTER, England (Reuters) - Handballs from defenders in goal-scoring situations will no longer have to be deliberate following a decision of world football's rule-making body, the International Football Association Board (IFAB) said on Saturday.2 Mar 2019

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Good use of VAR there, just confirming there was no offside and that the ball stayed in play.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Another classic bit of VAR tonight!

Yep. That was another beauty wasn't it ?

In real time, when that ball has been bladdered from 6 yards away, travelled half a second and struck Rose's arm as he slid down to block, the ref clearly made the right call. No pen.You can't make your fookin' arm just disappear, and Rose made no movement towards the ball with his arm to block it, in fact he was pulling it away. Sound call. But THEN the ref is alerted, and invited pitchside to view it in super-slo-mo, and changes his mind to make a RIDICULOUS call - partly, I think, because they're actually under pressure to back this VAR system. When you view something in slow motion, it ALWAYS looks more "deliberate" as the notion is that the player has some kind of additional time to make a conscious decision to cheat, when in reality on instances like that, all he's done is thrown himself to block the shot, with no intention of doing it illegally.

I'll add here that for VAR to get involved, it is only supposed to be for a CLEAR AND OBVIOUS ERROR by the ref. If you are seriously telling me that he made an "obvious" error in not giving a pen there, then I don't even know what I'm watching any more. Nobody would have batted an eyelid if his original call stood, as it should have. It was highly marginal - just like the shocking last minute VAR pen that actually gifted a Champions League QF to Man Utd in the last round, and sent PSG out.

I'll ALSO add here, that tonight he reviewed it on a pitchside monitor and changed his mind. Where was the pitchside monitor review on Saturday in our game for the Walker red card review ? Because there wasn't one. I don't even think the monitor was there for him to go and have a look and decide for himself. So who's making the decisions here. The bloke in the studio at Heathrow, or the man in the middle ? Whats the deal ?

Sorry. I know I'm the luddite here, but VAR is a total and utter SHAMBLES right now.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Handball definition changed for goal-scoring situations. MANCHESTER, England (Reuters) - Handballs from defenders in goal-scoring situations will no longer have to be deliberate following a decision of world football's rule-making body, the International Football Association Board (IFAB) said on Saturday.2 Mar 2019

In which case, the first thing I'd look to do in the box is to scoop the ball onto the defenders arm, and appeal. Loads of VAR fun and games next season then.

Games gone.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
The ants in their pants brigade should get their own section so they can disturb each other not the rest of us. Real fans would rather piss themselves or miss the train than miss the action.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here