Oh Shit - Hamilton rejects Wrexham Trust bid

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glyndwr red wxmfc

Sep 23, 2004
Wrexham
Oh Shit

WST Press release - Hamilton responds

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wrexham Supporters Trust confirms that it has received a negative response from Mr Alex Hamilton to its recent proposal to purchase Wrexham AFC Ltd and the Racecourse Ground.

Trust Board member Charles Wardle confirmed "I received a telephone call from Mr Hamilton on Thursday evening and he has rejected our initial offer. We are naturally very disappointed at this response. Mr Hamilton was unwilling to name his price and revealed that he has received a bid from Mr Mark Guterman as well as the bid from the Supporters Trust".

Vice Chairman Rob Griffiths added "The Trust board will meet in the next few days to consider the implications of this and the best way forward in the fight to save Wrexham AFC. We shall be calling a public meeting next week to update and inform Wrexham fans on the current situation".

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It goes from bad to worse doesn't it?

Time to step up your campaign(s) and try and get more national coverage of the situation-on a regular basis.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
What happened about him transferring the ground illegally? Has that been challenged in court?

paulmwrexham

Oct 3, 2004
Wrexham
Hamilton rejects Wrexham Trust bid

Our latest press release

Wrexham Supporters Trust confirms that it has received a negative response from Mr Alex Hamilton to its recent proposal to
purchase Wrexham AFC Ltd and the Racecourse Ground.

Trust Board member Charles Wardle confirmed "I received a telephone call from Mr Hamilton on Thursday evening and he has rejected our initial offer. We are naturally very disappointed at this response. Mr Hamilton was unwilling to name his price and revealed that he has received a bid from Mr Mark Guterman as well as the bid from the Supporters Trust".

Vice Chairman Rob Griffiths added "The Trust board will meet in the next few days to consider the implications of this and the best
way forward in the fight to save Wrexham AFC. We shall be calling a public meeting next week to update and inform Wrexham fans on the current situation".

Issued by Wrexham Supporters Trust, Thursday 4th November 2004
PO Box 2200, Wrexham, LL12 9WG
E-mail: info@wst.org.uk
Telephone: 07981 151958
Web: www.wst.org.uk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Keep at them and you'll get this resolved.

This is a complete disgrace.

It's obviously up to Wrexham supporters to decide what to do next.

I've been re-reading Build a Bonfire and can't get past this sentence:-

"I think the fans conducted themselves with a lot of dignity and control. I think the scenes on television of York City were not scenes of people intent on mayhem and bloodshed, it was a different kind of riot. Okay, so the goalposts got pulled down but it was out of frustration. It was really fans saying 'There's nothing more we can do, let's go on the pitch and let people know what's going on at our club', but you know that should be to their credit. - Liam Brady, speaking after the Brighton & Hove Albion -v- York City match on 27 April 1996 (abandoned after 16 minutes).

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Lord Bracknell said:

"I think the fans conducted themselves with a lot of dignity and control. I think the scenes on television of York City were not scenes of people intent on mayhem and bloodshed, it was a different kind of riot. Okay, so the goalposts got pulled down but it was out of frustration. It was really fans saying 'There's nothing more we can do, let's go on the pitch and let people know what's going on at our club', but you know that should be to their credit. - Liam Brady, speaking after the Brighton & Hove Albion -v- York City match on 27 April 1996 (abandoned after 16 minutes).

I wasn't even born then.

Sorry. I'm a prat. Original post & this one now edited to read "1996", not "1976" - Lord Bracknell

Last edited by a moderator:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I can't believe Guterman is still sniffing around. I though they'd got rid of him.

My son's favourite football chant is still "He's fat, he's round, he only wants the ground. Guterman".

I hope that this situation can be resolved before it goes any further. I fear that Wrexham will be in the same boat as us very soon. We must do all we can to make sure that isn't the case.

I don't think I own anything red, but I will make sure I have something for the 20th.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Lord Bracknell said:

That is exactly what I have been thinking.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Unfortunately, I am not surprised to hear this.

I suspect he met with the Supporters' Trust purely as a PR/goodwill stunt 'look at me, I am talking to these morons, sorry, people. Aren't I considerate and reasonable?' - and a cyincal one at that, nothing more. Unless there was an obscene amount of cash on the table - one which make his housebuilding venture not worthwhile - he was always going to stick two fingers up to EVERYONE. Be in no doubt, this man is filth, and he doesn't care what happens to AFC Wrexham.

Along the lines of Lord Bracknell's post / Liam Brady's comments, I believe more (lawful) direct action is required which appeals to football fans across the country, the media and to the press. To the Wrexham fans, I would ask this - is a 10-point deduction such a hefty price to pay to keep the club alive?

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Rangdo said:
I wasn't even born then.

Sorry. I'm a prat. Original post & this one now edited to read "1996", not "1976" - Lord Bracknell

In 1976, Brady was blasting goals in for Lazio (or some other Italian team), and not managing us... :lolol: :lolol:

In fact I'm not even 100% he'd gone to Italy by 76... :glare:

perseus said:
CPO Rules out today:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/wp..._planning/documents/page/odpm_plan_032576.pdf

Where the public benefit outweighs the human rights of the person who owns the land then such an action could be justified.
If anyone from Wrexham is tempted to read these rules for guidance, don't bother.

Part 2 Rule 2 says "These Rules apply to land in England. They also apply to land in Wales acquired by and still owned by a UK Government Department".

The National Assembly for Wales will no doubt be issuing their own rules for non-governmental land.

StephenWrexhamFc

May 24, 2004
Gwersyllt near Wrexham
I've just heard about the new Wrexham FC Fighting Fund, I assume it's with the blessing of WST as we don't want a conflicting fund at the moment but here is the details off Red Passion.

I am going to see if I can get at least £300 on Monday to go into this, it seems like our best chance of getting the revenue off our back, surely they will take whatever we can give them at this time as long as WST are committed to trying to get the club off Hamilton and have a plan to rescue the business we've got a chance haven't we???

It goes up and down up and down but surely it will be resolved one way or the other in the next few weeks, the tension is unbearable.

Wrexham Fighting Fund
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alex Hamilton would like nothing better than to see Wrexham FC put into liquidation by the Inland Revenue in 11 days time.
The grapevine is a marvellous thing, as is the power of the internet, obviously, because it had been my intention to promote the Wrexham Fighting Fund on Monday when the bank account will be up and running.

As the Daily Post reports today Carroll Clark, who happens to be chairman of the Wrexham Official Supporters Association but is working with me on a totally non-partisan basis, has officially launched a campaign to come up with the £900,000 that the taxman is owed,
The easiest answer is for 900 committed fans to stump up £1,000 each and the initial response has been fantastic.

I'm told that Robbie Savage has been true to his word and is sending his cheque as we speak and the club's other well-wishers will no doubt be encouraged and spurred into action by the fact that Chester businessman, Geoff Moss, whose two sons are members of the Racecourse School of Excellence, told me: "Put me down for £5,000."

My own £1,000 investment, together with just two phone calls, therefore elicited £7,000, leaving a mere £893,000 to go. I have no doubt that others will follow our example and Wrexham FC director Dave Bennett confirmed last night he had also received similar £1,000 pledges from concerned supporters.

Payment of the Inland Revenue demand, due to be heard in the High Court on November 17, will not only get them off the club's back in the short-term, it will make it easier for WST or any other bidder for the club to meet Hamilton's demands for a 'healthy' return on his investment in Wrexham FC, which he claims has been in the region of £2m.

I understand WST tabled a £2m bid, conditional on Hamilton paying all the outstanding debts.
Much though it grieves me to get him off the hook by paying the taxman and keeping the club in business for another few months, Hamilton would find it difficult to justify any refusal to accept a near £1m profit from his speculative venture and our joint efforts would perhaps strengthen any moves by the Wrexham Council to consider a compulsory purchase order in respect of the stadium, should that prove necessary.

Quite clearly I recognise that many board users are not able to come up immediately with £1,00 in cash. But desperate times require desperate remedies, so if you can work in a group, either at work or in the pub or your local amateur football club, school or college, all donations will be gratefully received and, where possible, acknowledged.

Credit cards are acceptable and on-line bank Cahoot is currently offering interest-free personal loans of six months duration for suitable applicants.
Hell, anyone knows that debt is fashionable at the moment and, let's face it, £1,000 nowadays equates to 10 pints of beer a week. WST was started on the basis of a beer a week, but that's inflation for you in Hamilton's world.
But remember time is of the essence now.

Get on board, show him that actions speak louder than words and demonstrate that his best efforts to drive Wrexham FC out of business will be resisted so robustly that his avarice is exposed once and for all.

Cheques payable to 'Wrexham Fighting Fund' can be sent to Carroll Clark at 4, Lyndale Grove, Wrexham LL12 8DQ and he is also willing to field your calls on 01978 266602.
Details of the fighting fund's bank account will be posted asap on Monday so that football fans elsewhere around the country and further afield can also their contribution.
The doomsday clock is ticking - don't let the bastard grind us down!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports