Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] oh my days win at Palace and we're top of the league

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Having really problems getting any work done today, too pumped...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Notwithstanding the fact that the magnitude of the prize, dictates that the Palace gypsy curse will inevitably **** us over...

... can you even IMAGINE how EMPTY the home stands would be if the Albion were a couple of goals up on 85 minutes, with "We're brytnovealbyon, we're topotheleague..." bellowing out from the good guys...

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
If we manage to beat Palace I hope Dunk and/or Potter has the presence of mind to dedicate the result to Dick Knight and Tony Bloom. It would be the very essence of 'From The Gutter To The Stars' and a wonderful achievement for the two men that made it all happen.

And the belting out of the Stevey Gritt song would be nicely placed as well

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Interesting that 20% of us have voted to settle for a point and 18% have voted on the score predictor for a home win ( quite possibly the same ones )
I think the reason being the difference between these two : -
1 The Dream Scenario
they score with their only shot on target towards the end of a nervous 1st half . Cue their fans giving it large with hand gestures etc .In the second we totally dominate and run out comfortable winners 4-1 ! Cue their fans disappearing like petrol off a forecourt ." WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE " ! :)
2 The Nightmare Scenario
We score with one of our many shots on target towards the end of a nervous first half . Cue our fans giving it large with "we are top of the league" chants etc . In the second they equalise on 65 mins with a deflected shot .We then batter them till in injury time their keeper slashes wildly at a clearance which deflects off one of our forwards and lands at the feet of you know who . He runs the length of the pitch and falls over under the slightest of challenges on the edge of the box . The ref signals penalty and VAR decides not enough evidence to overrule . You know the rest :tantrum:
The reality probably falls somewhere in between and for people of a superstitious or nervous disposition explains the voting !
( By the way i never get the right score so will be voting 2-1 if that helps ! )

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
I know that superstition says that we’ll come undone tonight but….

We are a very good team with high quality players and if we set about our task with everyone firing on all cylinders there’s no reason to think that we won’t be able come away with 3 points.

Cannot wait to see the players who ‘get it’ get right in the face Zahaha, Odwood, etc.

Dunk, Duffy, Maupay… let’s have it!!

It’s gonna be good!!!!!

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
So when you win tonight and go top of the league, will that make up for the play off defeat a few years back?

Good question! The answer is that although that hurt terribly, we had two amazing years dominating the Championship - excitement, thrills, success and expectations. Palace on the other hand, judged by their message boards, have for years mainly been in a state of morose and anxiety. As we know, there's not much fun when your first ambition is to avoid relegation and the only relaxation is a few games at the end of the season when you are save.

Have your bragging rights compensated for your depressing, empty years?

Last edited:

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
I am fully expecting us to not turn up and lose badly, no logic behind it just naturally pessimistic :lol:

Obviously hope I'm very wrong

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
Good question! The answer is that all though that hurt terribly, we had two amazing years dominating the Championship - excitement, thrills, success and expectations. Palace on the other hand, judged by their message boards, have for years mainly been in a state of morose and anxiety. As we know, there's not much fun when your first ambition is to avoid relegation and the only relaxation is a few games at the end of the season when you are save.

Have your bragging rights compensated for your depressing, empty years?

Absolutely they have!

The last few years of Royball were not the best watch, but he did a great job with what we had at the time.

Who knows how PV will work out, but its started better than many predicted (or hoped)

Dont fancy having to listen to top of the league songs tonight :sick:

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
Absolutely they have!

The last few years of Royball were not the best watch, but he did a great job with what we had at the time.

Who knows how PV will work out, but its started better than many predicted (or hoped)

Dont fancy having to listen to top of the league songs tonight :sick:

Not convinced! What do we support our teams for? Make us permanently miserable? No - just try and have a successful season, just for once - you've waited long enough.

Oh! and by the way - lived in Croydon 23 years - never, never, never saw an Eagle. Have you!

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
Not convinced! What do we support our teams for? Make us permanently miserable? No - just try and have a successful season, just for once - you've waited long enough.

Oh! and by the way - lived in Croydon 23 years - never, never, never saw an Eagle. Have you!

Saw an eagle most match days. Last few years have been successful from a Palace point of view, in terms of not really being in a relegation battle. Anything else is a bonus. I know Brighton have loftier expectations, Europe or a cup possible this season?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Saw an eagle most match days. Last few years have been successful from a Palace point of view, in terms of not really being in a relegation battle. Anything else is a bonus. I know Brighton have loftier expectations, Europe or a cup possible this season?

"I know Brighton have loftier expectations", yep - long term aim is to be consistently top 10

"Europe or a cup possible this season", now you're having a laugh

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Interesting that 20% of us have voted to settle for a point and 18% have voted on the score predictor for a home win ( quite possibly the same ones )
I think the reason being the difference between these two : -
1 The Dream Scenario
they score with their only shot on target towards the end of a nervous 1st half . Cue their fans giving it large with hand gestures etc .In the second we totally dominate and run out comfortable winners 4-1 ! Cue their fans disappearing like petrol off a forecourt ." WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE " ! :)
2 The Nightmare Scenario
We score with one of our many shots on target towards the end of a nervous first half . Cue our fans giving it large with "we are top of the league" chants etc . In the second they equalise on 65 mins with a deflected shot .We then batter them till in injury time their keeper slashes wildly at a clearance which deflects off one of our forwards and lands at the feet of you know who . He runs the length of the pitch and falls over under the slightest of challenges on the edge of the box . The ref signals penalty and VAR decides not enough evidence to overrule . You know the rest :tantrum:
The reality probably falls somewhere in between and for people of a superstitious or nervous disposition explains the voting !
( By the way i never get the right score so will be voting 2-1 if that helps ! )

So reality was somewhere in between and it seems those who would have settled for a point had some justification .
Interesting that at the end of each half was a nightmare and then the dream . Just imagine if the two halves had been reversed , the result and all the stats would be the same but the feelings completely different ! You have gotta love football !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here