Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O'Grady on his way to Sheffield United?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
How can anyone make a judgement on 9 appearances in a struggling side? Might be ok might not..... Just saying
I have to agree. We all know he's limited, but then so was Mike Small. I'm not sure he's been any worse than the un-prolific midgets that get regular run-outs in our crap team.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Albion striker O'Grady is loan target for Blades

ALBION centre-forward Chris O’Grady has become a target again for Sheffield United.

Blades boss Nigel Clough has resurrected his interest in the Seagulls’ striker.

A loan return to the steel city for O’Grady, who had a spell with United’s cross-city rivals Sheffield Wednesday, could hinge on Albion manager Sami Hyypia landing the front man he is seeking before the transfer window for temporary deals shuts on November 27.

United wanted O’Grady in the summer, when Albion bought the 28-year-old from relegated Barnsley for £500,000 and awarded him a three-year contract in the wake of Leo Ulloa’s £8 million switch to Leicester.

Clough has injury problems in attack. He sees O’Grady as the solution to keep his side, currently eighth, on track in the congested League One promotion race.

O’Grady scored 15 goals in the Championship for Barnsley last season but has struggled to fit into Hyypia’s plans and playing style.

He was on the bench for Saturday’s 1-1 draw against Blackburn Rovers at the Amex in place of the unwell Craig Mackail-Smith and came on in the closing stages.

It was only the eighth time O’Grady has featured in Albion’s 17 league outings and he has started just five of them.

Hyypia revealed to The Argus last month O’Grady was not for sale but admitted Albion would be prepared to let him leave on loan.

The Finn said recently he wished O’Grady would make more forward runs, rather than coming to the ball.

O’Grady has also spoken about the difficulties he has encountered adapting to Albion’s tactics.

It is very difficult to make an accurate judgement on this - he did, afterall, score 15 goals last year in this league for a struggling team, and so it follows that there must be some talent that needs coaxing out. It is obvious that it has not worked for him here; he would naturally say that he has struggled to fit into the system, whereas others will state that he is plainly not good enough. Fascinatingly, SH is on record as saying that he needs to make forward runs, and I recall an incident in either the Middlesbrough or Rotherham match, when McCourt got behind the defence, crossed superbly on the 6 yard line only for O'Grady to simply stand there and watch the ball go past, instead of seeing what was going to happen and put the ball in the net. McCourt was furious with him. Of course it could also be that he is forced to play out of position, or at least not to his strengths, as seemingly happens to others, and this is a constant observation/criticism here of the manager

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
COG got to be one of the worst signings we've ever made- let's cut our losses quickly and unload him

Have you not seen Baldock play? He cost a quarter of the price and at least looks like a striker (albeit a League 1 striker)

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It is very difficult to make an accurate judgement on this - he did, afterall, score 15 goals last year in this league for a struggling team, and so it follows that there must be some talent that needs coaxing out. It is obvious that it has not worked for him here; he would naturally say that he has struggled to fit into the system, whereas others will state that he is plainly not good enough. Fascinatingly, SH is on record as saying that he needs to make forward runs, and I recall an incident in either the Middlesbrough or Rotherham match, when McCourt got behind the defence, crossed superbly on the 6 yard line only for O'Grady to simply stand there and watch the ball go past, instead of seeing what was going to happen and put the ball in the net. McCourt was furious with him. Of course it could also be that he is forced to play out of position, or at least not to his strengths, as seemingly happens to others, and this is a constant observation/criticism here of the manager

Now Hypia looks like he might be changing from his daft wing back tactics I can't see what he's got to lose by playing O'Grady + one of the little fellas with KLL and Bennett in true wide positions

Maybe it's not technical enough, but at least I'd have some confidence that the players knew what they were supposed to be doing

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Now Hypia looks like he might be changing from his daft wing back tactics I can't see what he's got to lose by playing O'Grady + one of the little fellas with KLL and Bennett in true wide positions

Maybe it's not technical enough, but at least I'd have some confidence that the players knew what they were supposed to be doing

4-4-2 long ball with a big bloke up front with a little bloke next to him would be as 'technical' as we are now. t

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
4-4-2 long ball with a big bloke up front with a little bloke next to him would be as 'technical' as we are now. t

Well SH did say he should be making runs! Either one of the shorties alongside or one sitting behind, but I think he should be given a chance in a position he can play in with those around him set up in a way that will get the best from them all.

COG is no better than OK but I think he is better than sending off to Sheff Utd without giving him a proper chance. Might as well send Baldock, CMS and Colunga packing too ... now we've got Halford everything is sorted :)

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
He will score goals in the right set-up and I think he has shown signs of quality – eg. powerful accurate, first time shots. He just needs someone with him, which all the while SH is here he won’t get.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
COG got to be one of the worst signings we've ever made- let's cut our losses quickly and unload him

Kemy? And there are plenty of others. Where was recent signing Colunga on Saturday? On the bench. Where was recent signing McCourt? On the bench. Where was recent signing Holla? On the bench. Where was recent loan signing Texeira? On the bench.

It appears we have been signing players to populate our subs bench as they are clearly not good enough to start regularly. Begs the question as to why we signed them.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Make that McCourt and Bennett on the wings - save LuaLua to come on as an impact sub (perhaps when Paddy gets tired).

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Kemy? And there are plenty of others. Where was recent signing Colunga on Saturday? On the bench. Where was recent signing McCourt? On the bench. Where was recent signing Holla? On the bench. Where was recent loan signing Texeira? On the bench.

It appears we have been signing players to populate our subs bench as they are clearly not good enough to start regularly. Begs the question as to why we signed them.
Colunga, McCourt, Tex and Holla have all had plenty of minutes on the pitch, and, with the exception of McCourt, have all been regular starters.

Agustien is a different kettle of fish; the bloke clearly has issues that aren't compatible with being a professional sportsman. I would be amazed if any club offers him a contract in the summer.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
clueless , headless , chickens we are atm........think we need a new manager and burke needs to feck arf.....he is , frankly, rubbish..!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here