Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O'Grady gone [to Sheffield United on loan]

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Exactly this.

Why have 4 strikers when we only play 1?

With CMS and COG gone, that frees up wages to pay Bent.

Quality not quantity is what's needed.

We have/had too many average players in our squad, and not enough really decent ones.

Last summers transfer window was a bloody disaster.

Agree - far too much about getting players in and not enough about quality. I would much prefer a smaller squad of decent players than a bloated squad of Lg1 standard. We dont need a 4th striker as we only ever play 1 upfront

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You've never rated a guy who's scored 152 goals in 317 starts, mostly in the premiership and has a near enough 1 in 2 ratio at every club he's played for, fair enough.

It seems successive England managers haven't rated him either. Ask a few Fulham fans what they thought of him last season.

But, as I said, I'm hopeful he can do some good for us.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
I thought it was seen, as a time, as a low-cost investment that, if it didn't work out, wasn't the end of the world. I also seem to recall some confusion (because of the timings) leading to people thinking he was Leo's replacement. You never know what might happen - Bent is here to try and get some goals and he could go back and get into the Villa team. Who's to say the same might not happen with COG, and/or CMS.

I'm not saying it will, just putting it out there.

The trouble is that people will be saying if CMS or COG score goals on loan that we should get them back, however scoring goals in Lge1 is one thing but neither are Champ level

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Nothing wrong with bringing in a keeper for a month who can't play 1 game as its against his parent club, then misses 2 weeks through international duty, no nothing wrong with that.
Fook me!

I agree it might look a bit silly, but:
Firstly, we didn't know Stockdale would be back as quickly as he was.
Secondly, I don't think decent goalkeepers grow on trees, so we probably accepted reluctantly that he would miss at least one match.
Thirdly, we could not be absolutely confident that Christian Walton would rise to the occasion(s) as well as he did.
Thirdly, did we not "allow" him not to rush back from international duty, precisely because the urgency had passed.

So on the whole, I think it was a case of "better safe than sorry".

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It seems successive England managers haven't rated him either. Ask a few Fulham fans what they thought of him last season.

But, as I said, I'm hopeful he can do some good for us.

I get what you're saying but we aren't England and we aren't a premiership side, his scoring record bar last season at Fulham has been exceptional his entire career, for much better teams at a much better level than ourselves

I think he will score hatfulls for us, from what I know of him he's one of them players who is often in the right place at the right time. Either way he's a far better striker than O'Grady and CMS

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I met Paul Barber at the Swindon game. When I asked him about O'Grady, he said that he was as good as Ulloa. I hope he was joking because from what I saw, I am better than O'Grady. I am confused as to why Burke still has a job.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Am I the only one who thinks we are a bit harsh on O'Grady, granted he didn't look great when he started for us but let's be fair to the bloke he never had a decent run in the team, how many times did he actually play? I think we were just spoilt with Ulloa and too many thought of him as a replacement for Leo.

He may not have fit in here but some of the comments are beyond harsh to the bloke, good luck to him.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Sdly the (rumoured) £13k a week for OGrady says he is hardly low- cost. Tho only thing low cost was the fee.

Sorry, that's what I meant - the initial fee. I have/had no idea about what weekly wage he's on.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Did I say he or she was employed by the club so if not how can they fire him or her and how are they covered by the Data Protection Act. As stated I dont know if it is 100% correct or like the fishermans tale somebody said 10 he told his mate 11 his mate told his mate 12 etc.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Did I say he or she was employed by the club so if not how can they fire him or her and how are they covered by the Data Protection Act. As stated I dont know if it is 100% correct or like the fishermans tale somebody said 10 he told his mate 11 his mate told his mate 12 etc.

To be fair you did say the source was close to the top. The top of what? Devils Dyke? Mount Everest?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
BHAFC ‏@OfficialBHAFC 37s37 seconds ago

BREAKING: #BHAFC striker Chris O’Grady has joined League One Sheffield United on a one-month loan deal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here