[Albion] Offside?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
VAR causes more arguments/discussions than dodgy refereeing decisions ever did. Look at this thread - every VAR farce is the same.

For that reason alone it can fack the fack off. Get rid - it's simply not for for purpose and hasn't solved the problem that existed.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The other thing that does my head in is the line that the game should be reffed by "common sense" Bollocks. A card is a card if it's the Manchester Liverpool match, FA cup final or Rochdale v Mansfield. If there was consistency, players would stop hassling the ref if it was yellow, stop holding their face when flicked in the chest if it was a red and we all might be a bit more forgiving if it was the same for everyone.

In what other sport would such a ridiculous notion be entertained? Sorry lads can't give Stokes LBW, it might ruin the spectacle.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I honestly don't know.

But if VAR needs to start f***ing about with lines, then the goal should be given.

The rules need to change. If a decision can't be made by eye then the goal should stand.
I agree. Let the referee that made the original decision reverse his own decision if the video shows he was truly wrong.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Releasing an official photo of the offside with lines that looks like it's been produced in 1970 is one thing but same photo showing the ball already leaving Gross's foot is another.

Are they deliberately trolling us?
Personally I think the club should be politely asking PGMOL for a clear explanation of how they have decided to use the frame where the ball has clearly left Gross's foot to determine whether it was offside or not. And what the guidance is for this. And how it fits with the offside law.

Then at least there might be a teeny bit of clarification?

1699179796753.png

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Releasing an official photo of the offside with lines that looks like it's been produced in 1970 is one thing but same photo showing the ball already leaving Gross's foot is another.

Are they deliberately trolling us?
If you really want to know about trolling, you can pay £375 for this as a poster from getty images
detail/news-photo/referee-tim-robinson-declares-the-goal-scored-by-lewis-dunk-news-photo/

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Of course there was. Massive games in every league were being wrongly decided, and leagues and relegations were being decided on those decisions.

The problem isn’t the technology. That works perfectly well.

The issue is that you still have the same incompetent people who were making the wrong decisions beforehand making those decisions now. You just have more of them each game, plus they’re trying to use technology, plus they’ve been changing the rules every two minutes because they’ve realised many of them aren’t logical once you have to analyse them with a camera on you. Plus they’re not micing these people up so there’s no responsibility for their actions.

And all of this has made the referees even bigger stars than they were before VAR.

But it shouldn’t have to be this way. Any half decent, non-corrupt, competent team would’ve had this working fine a couple of years back.

How many titles and relegations were decided on poor decisions? Championship and below manage quite well without it.

How can you look at the stills for offside and think it works well? pixelated balls and images make it nearly impossible to call tight calls plus we have stadiums without big screens that allow more information to be given.

They are changing the rules because of VAR, the handball rule has changed almost every year since VAR was brought in.

You are demanding perfection from the referees, which is completely unrealistic, everyone else in football makes errors, refs are no different.

As for being corrupt, do you have proof?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
One of the most clear criticisms of VAR I have read. Can Paul Barber ask you to come in and be present when Howard Webb hand delivers his next written apology?
Even better, can Webb resign and let you take over? I’m not being sarcastic.
The worst thing they did was starting to apologise for things.

Ridiculous decision which open the floodgates

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
Looking at the above pictures. It’s very tight but it is the right decision. The line on Dunk is drawn from the shoulder (T-shirt line) which happens to be in line with his hand, but it is in the right place. The line on the defender looks correct too.

It’s a damn shame as it was a quality finish, but if you take the blue and white glasses off it is correct.
But there is no way, except to guess the exact t moment the ball is kicked, so decisions as tight as Dunk's should not be chalked off.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
I honestly don't know.

But if VAR needs to start f***ing about with lines, then the goal should be given.

The rules need to change. If a decision can't be made by eye then the goal should stand.
100% this, being saying the same myself for ages. If you have to draw lines to make a decision based on millimetres then how the hell is that any sort of advantage ? It’s time fans across the country take a stand and start a petition to get rid of VAR or otherwise change the use of VAR to get rid of these lines.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Can we please introduce this into the Premier League?
1699183438524.png

EDIT: I have seen that this has previously been mentioned, but it really should be implemented.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Personally I think the club should be politely asking PGMOL for a clear explanation of how they have decided to use the frame where the ball has clearly left Gross's foot to determine whether it was offside or not. And what the guidance is for this. And how it fits with the offside law.

Then at least there might be a teeny bit of clarification?

View attachment 169195
This is where the 50 frames/s rate becomes an issue. A well struck ball will travel at about 30 m/s, which mean that it will travel 60cm per frame. Seeing as the ball in this shot looks to have travelled only 30cm, it's probably the first frame available that shows definitively that the ball has been struck. Hence the margin of error of whatever distance a player might travel in 1/50 of a second (approx 15cm).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Premier League seems to have had the most problems implementing VAR - is it poor training? A lack of competent leadership? Nowhere near as many weekly controversies in other major leagues.

There is absolutely no way Dunk's goal could be regarded as offside. We watched the game live here yesterday and the best you can say about the replay was it was inconclusive.
I’ve said this before, but the reason the offside law was introduced was to stop players hanging around upfield and ahead of the ball. It’s being used as a very different tool today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports