Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Officials v Brentford

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Referee: Peter Bankes.
Assistants: Eddie Smart, Nick Greenhalgh.
Fourth official: Graham Scott.

VAR: Andy Madley. Assistant
VAR: Adrian Holmes.

Peter Bankes' season​

9 games, 50 yellow cards (5.6 per game) and 1 red card (1 every 9 games)

Peter Bankes' most recent Albion games​

15/3/23 Albion 1 - 0 Palace (3y)
15/2/22 Man Utd 2 - 0 Albion (4y, 1r - Dunk)
16/10/21 Norwich 0 - 0 Albion (8y)
31/1/21 Albion 1 - 0 Spurs (3y)
20/12/20 Albion 1 - 1 Sheff Utd 6y, 1r)

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Stop the thread, @Bozza, I'm recommending an in-forum review for possible mistaken identity:-

Pawson.jpg

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
oh dear. crowded field but bankes is truly one of the most abysmal. will never forget him totally wetting the bed when it came to giving doucoure a blatant second yellow (twice!!) in the palace home game last season. and he’s done it many times since, most notably in the west ham vs newcastle game this season. absolute bottle job, through and through. hope nothing controversial happens.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't have beef with any of these for previous indiscretions as I can recall. Incredible.

I'm sure I will do come Weds night 😬
Others do!

12 yellows and a red issued when he took charge of Spurs v Sheff Utd leading to this:

Paul Heckingbottom wasn't keen:

...and nor was David Moyes:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Others do!

12 yellows and a red issued when he took charge of Spurs v Sheff Utd leading to this:

Recommend watching on mute…

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Others do!

The worst refereeing performance ever was Sunday, the previous weekend and the previous weekend to that. And the previous weekend to the previous weekend to that.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
He’ll be broadly fine, like most refs in most games. Yes, he’ll probably make a few mistakes in the midst of a fast-paced game contested by 22 highly-skilled, testosterone-charged athletes, all looking to gain an edge. But so what?

The mistakes that ultimately decide the result will be made by the players, yet the mistakes that increasingly define the narrative for days after will be the ones made by the ref. Ref-baiting after every game is getting corrosive now. Managers and supporters looking for someone to blame for a disappointing result, and subsequently going after the ref, are looking in the wrong place.

Most supporters slagging off refs after every game (and increasing before the game has even happened) probably couldn’t even run for 9 minutes, never mind 90 plus. Just let the refs get on with it and support them or we’ll end up with no refs of consequence at all.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Others do!

Didn't manage to turn my speakers off

The music was so bad

It made my eyes hurt

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
He’ll be broadly fine, like most refs in most games. Yes, he’ll probably make a few mistakes in the midst of a fast-paced game contested by 22 highly-skilled, testosterone-charged athletes, all looking to gain an edge. But so what?

The mistakes that ultimately decide the result will be made by the players, yet the mistakes that increasingly define the narrative for days after will be the ones made by the ref. Ref-baiting after every game is getting corrosive now. Managers and supporters looking for someone to blame for a disappointing result, and subsequently going after the ref, are looking in the wrong place.

Most supporters slagging off refs after every game (and increasing before the game has even happened) probably couldn’t even run for 9 minutes, never mind 90 plus. Just let the refs get on with it and support them or we’ll end up with no refs of consequence at all.
Not been a single Albion match this season where I thought, natural error margins applied, that a ref has been poor. And certainly not one where he favoured the other team. I think in one European match I did think the ref was under par.

Refs makes mistakes, and sometimes they can be clangers. I just accept it. They are EPL refs because they are the best. They have always made mistakes and will continue to do so because refereeing is a game of mistakes because that is what partisan supporters see.

It has often been said that European referees seem better. The reason for this is because they don't referee our matches every week.

If Anthony Taylor was such a bad referee, I'm sure UEFA would have found someone else to referee the Europa League Final in May and the UEFA Nations League Final a while back.

The application of VAR is another matter

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Fair post.

But sorry Bry, they are at a really poor level in this country. I’ve coached, played and watched football for nearly 50 years, and this is as poor as as it’s got. Some of it to be fair, is a result of VAR, but positionally, logical thinking and decision making is poor.

There were times in leagues 1 and 2 when I was happier, even D’Urso’s performance versus ?Exeter when he booked 10 of their outfield players and still wouldn’t send anyone off, was better than the Salisbury’s, Attwell’s and Pawson…

We all make mistakes, but Oliver apart, and perhaps Hoops, the actual level is poor.

As for Anthony Taylor, had been okay, but his confidence is shot……

There have to be better elsewhere.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Fair post.

But sorry Bry, they are at a really poor level in this country. I’ve coached, played and watched football for nearly 50 years, and this is as poor as as it’s got. Some of it to be fair, is a result of VAR, but positionally, logical thinking and decision making is poor.

There were times in leagues 1 and 2 when I was happier, even D’Urso’s performance versus ?Exeter when he booked 10 of their outfield players and still wouldn’t send anyone off, was better than the Salisbury’s, Attwell’s and Pawson…

We all make mistakes, but Oliver apart, and perhaps Hoops, the actual level is poor.

That match against Exeter was refereed by Paul Rejer.
Is it okay if I come round to house and scream in your face for getting it wrong?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Personally I’ve never criticised a referee’s running performance once

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Fair post.

I don’t see any evidence that Anthony Taylor’s confidence is shot (but to be fair I haven’t really been looking for any).

I know he is the villain of the moment on here at present, following the Forest game but if you get a yellow then immediately call the ref a bellend or a c*** or whatever then the subsequent straight red is on the player, not the ref.

Perhaps there are better. But players tend to get the refs they deserve. If they cut out the constant simulation and time wasting and also showed the officials a bit more respect then they would probably find the standard of refereeing would improve. Players and managers need to accept that they are a massive and probably the biggest part of the problem.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don’t see any evidence that Anthony Taylor’s confidence is shot (but to be fair I haven’t really been looking for any).

I know he is the villain of the moment on here at present, following the Forest game but if you get a yellow then immediately call the ref a bellend or a c*** or whatever then the subsequent straight red is on the player, not the ref.

Perhaps there are better. But players tend to get the refs they deserve. If they cut out the constant simulation and time wasting and also showed the officials a bit more respect then they would probably find the standard of refereeing would improve. Players and managers need to accept that they are a massive and probably the biggest part of the problem.
I just think he was indecisive versus Forest and in one of our other games, re the Dunk incident, he acted quickly enough, but as we’ve seen it isn’t enforced - to me Haaland’s behaviour was a lot worse.

I don’t think the Europa final and subsequent criticism from Mourinho helped him, then you have Mike Dean ‘mates’ comment, which although not his fault was further undermining.

I had less of a problem with him last season, but so far this year he’s been poor.

I agree re the players, but AEK players and fans hounded the ref, and he was mentally stronger, sure he didn’t give the penalty initially, but he sent their player off, and commanded respect, something most of ours (probably about 80% 😉), seem incapable of.

Players aren’t going to change.

Any new initiatives are often forgotten by October….

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I just think he was indecisive versus Forest and in one of our other games, re the Dunk incident, he acted quickly enough, but as we’ve seen it isn’t enforced - to me Haaland’s behaviour was a lot worse.

I don’t think the Europa final and subsequent criticism from Mourinho helped him, then you have Mike Dean ‘mates’ comment, which although not his fault was further undermining.

I had less of a problem with him last season, but so far this year he’s been poor.

I agree re the players, but AEK players and fans hounded the ref, and he was mentally stronger, sure he didn’t give the penalty initially, but he sent their player off, and commanded respect, something most of ours (probably about 80% 😉), seem incapable of.

Players aren’t going to change.

Any new initiatives are often forgotten by October….
Yes. All fair points.

I’m just getting exasperated with the constant ref-baiting I guess, as it feels like a self-fulfilling prophecy that if you tell someone they are useless often enough, don’t be surprised that they turn out to be useless. Not sure what can be done. If a whole new load of refs were magically shipped in, by this time next season they’d probably all be “useless” too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here