Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] officials for palace

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Was that also the game where Mac Allister missed about 3 absolute sitters and then Sanchez dropped a routine cross right onto Tompkin's boots?

Perhaps this time de Zerbi will manage to pick a bunch of players who don't make a single mistake.
I salute your bite-back against the rage against the officials, and the apparent cult of victimhood whose acolytes are at this very moment selecting a suitably uncomfortable vest of sack-cloth to wear after the Palace game.

Mind you, Hoops really is a plum. Fact. :wink:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wasn't it VAR that ruled out Pervis' goal by 'drawing the line' against the wrong defender?

Edit, I've just checked and it was Brooks on VAR.
Maybe he will feel he owes us? Some chance!

Being that all our refs seem to be incompetent, I imagine he's more likely to be tough against us to prove that he's not being influenced by a past mistake. Like if you were refereeing a game your son was playing in,.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes, just like every other team. But somehow the officials are the only ones expected (by some) to be 100% infallible.
Nope, that's not what we expect, and it's a bit weird that you're trying to compare the two. Refs will make mistakes because it's basically impossible not to. But those running VAR have no reason to keep getting things completely wrong. Coote's mistake last time was unacceptable. No paid professional should be making that mistake.

I'm not blaming de Zerbi; I'm simply saying you can't look at mistakes made by officials but at the same time disregard those made by the players, on either side.
The two things (playing football & VAR) and are not comparable. When playing football, you have 11 people on the opposing side trying to make you make a mistake. You're also dealing with a fast moving ball in a fast moving game, and you've part got your eye on what you and everyone else is doing and part on what you and everyone else is about to do. Meanwhile VAR has got a team trying to help you get the right decision, and you don't have to get it perfect, you just need to not completely **** it up.

Saying that it's wrong to complain about VAR mistakes when footballers also make mistakes is like saying we shouldn't criticise surgeons for cutting off the wrong leg sometimes, because sometimes a waiter brings you the wrong meal. It's not the the same thing!

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This might not have been picked up ..by some 😏

So you think that the VAR mistake that ruled out Estupinan's goal was comparable to the mistakes MacAllister made in not scoring, and Sanchez made in dropping the ball?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Oh my word all three are involved in this one, John Brooks, Simon Hooper, and David Coote, three of the worst referees at the top end of the PGMOL in my opinion.

Why do l have a sense of foreboding?
They'll be the equal worst for both sides though.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Only pretty awful? it's completely unforgiveable in my book, especially with any potential mistakes in VAR so much in the spotlight at the moment.
Really? Completely unforgivable?

Of course, we all have to set our own red lines in life; but the day I decide that a mistake made by an official in a football match is "completely unforgivable" is probably the day I'd realise that maybe football isn't for me.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not sure how you’ve drawn that conclusion from my post …my ghast is flabbered
Because that was the point Bry Nylon (whom you're backing up) was making. He highlighted the mistakes from Mac Allister and Sanchez in that game and that some of us think it's ok for them to make mistakes, but not the officials.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Of course, we all have to set our own red lines in life; but the day I decide that a mistake made by an official in a football match is "completely unforgivable" is probably the day I'd realise that maybe football isn't for me.

So if your team is losing 1-0, and after 85 minutes, the ref just decides to end the game, you don't think that's an unforgivable mistake? Or if an opponent shot wide, but the ball boy got the ball and then kicked it into the net, and the ref gave the goal, you'd think that's forgivable too?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Because that was the point Bry Nylon (whom you're backing up) was making. He highlighted the mistakes from Mac Allister and Sanchez in that game and that some of us think it's ok for them to make mistakes, but not the officials.
Am I the only one who finds this viewpoint as ridiculous as it is unrealistic?

Frankly, it’s this kind of pointless pursuit of perfection that has resulted in the introduction of VAR and the complete mess that top flight football is rapidly becoming.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
So if your team is losing 1-0, and after 85 minutes, the ref just decides to end the game, you don't think that's an unforgivable mistake? Or if an opponent shot wide, but the ball boy got the ball and then kicked it into the net, and the ref gave the goal, you'd think that's forgivable too?
If your hypothetical scenarios now include a ball boy grabbing the ball and kicking it into the net and the ref awarding a goal it’s probably best we end the exchange here, to be honest.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If your hypothetical scenarios now include a ball boy grabbing the ball and kicking it into the net and the ref awarding a goal it’s probably best we end the exchange here, to be honest.
That's something that actually happened in a game, not a hypothetical idea

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Am I the only one who finds this viewpoint as ridiculous as it is unrealistic?

You think it's ridiculous and unrealistic for us to expect VAR to draw the offside lines from the right players (with exceptions for when two defenders look to be in line, and it's not clear which one is furthest back)?

Frankly, it’s this kind of pointless pursuit of perfection that has resulted in the introduction of VAR and the complete mess that top flight football is rapidly becoming.
Expecting VAR to draw the line off the right player doesn't feel like too much to me?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
You think it's ridiculous and unrealistic for us to expect VAR to draw the offside lines from the right players (with exceptions for when two defenders look to be in line, and it's not clear which one is furthest back)?

Expecting VAR to draw the line off the right player doesn't feel like too much to me?
No. I think it is ridiculous and unrealistic not to expect officials to make mistakes. If people accepted that mistakes happen then we wouldn’t have VAR. VAR has just compounded the whole situation.

The Palace thing was a complete howler but it happens and it will happen again. I don’t know how many thousands of times VAR officials have had to draw lines on freeze frames since VAR was introduced but that is probably one of only a handful of times human error has drawn it off the wrong player. In any non-safety critical system, that probably falls within the accepted tolerance for error. Just shit it happened to us. But frankly, I’m over it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Perhaps read an earlier post on the thread by me ….oh and I did put a wink emoji on the one you are referring to…play on words

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Perhaps read an earlier post on the thread by me

I was following the quote you posted. I can't follow every post you've made in case they're somehow relevant.

….oh and I did put a wink emoji on the one you are referring to…play on words
I'm not sure what you mean. Bry said that we (some of us) expect the officials to be infallible, and your post read as if the replies he was getting (maybe mine) suggests that we hadn't read the 'by some' part :shrug:

PS - You posted a sneaky smiley, not a wink.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No. I think it is ridiculous and unrealistic not to expect officials to make mistakes.

But we do expect referees to make mistakes. Some of us don't expect blunders like the one preventing Pervis's goal standing, and when it happens we blame the official responsible for the lost points. You don't, you blame our team. Fine, to each their own.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here