Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Official Sussex Village Cricket Thread

zamora the merrier

Mar 1, 2009
I'm glad someone else remembers playing at Stanmer House. I remember playing there in the late 70s but when you look at the area now, it's hard to imagine there was a pitch there. We had tea in the house itself IIRC

My introduction to "mens" cricket was at Stammer House in probably 77. The changing rooms round the back were weird but it was great fun and I loved it. Used to get quite a crowd sitting on the bank (15):lolol: The best of the council prepared grounds in Brighton

zamora the merrier

Mar 1, 2009
Scored my only ton there in 1978. The changing rooms were up some stairs and above the stables. Tea was taken al fresco. Such a shame that it is no longer used.

And my first 5 wicket haul. Easy pickings as a 14 year old slow bowler with oppo trying and failing to hit you over Stammer House

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
The track was a green, low and slow - anyone quick would still struggle to get the ball above knee-high - shocking - could have been such a super ground with investment.

That reminds me of playing at Watersfield, which I did a few times. Lovely location (we called it Narnia as it was down a narrow track and the weather was usually different at one end of the track to the other, as if it had its own micro-climate) but everyone knew to bowl full as there's no chance of getting caught as the bloody ball wouldn't carry.

As for best teas, I never played cricket there but played Bowls at West Dean - incredible teas.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Any chance of an NSC XI playing Broadwater on a Sunday next summer?

Guinness Boy you could be NSC's very own Kerry Packer...…..

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Remember scoring at Broadbridge Heath as a very young lad. To the side of the clubhouse ( well....shack! ) was a primitive toilet, made out of sheets of corrugated iron. One player smote a six which came directly down on top of this. The roof promptly caved in, followed by the back and sides. The whole lot went down like the proverbial ' pack of cards ' From the long grass surrounding the ground emerged a number of terrified pheasants, who all took off together, cack-cacking like crazy. The players were literally shrieking with laughter. Happy days.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I remember an Irish lady who used to score at Staplefield. She would call out the details when a wicket fell...." terty tree fer tree, der last man tree "

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Any chance of an NSC XI playing Broadwater on a Sunday next summer?

Guinness Boy you could be NSC's very own Kerry Packer...…..

:lolol:

I reckon an NSC XI would be an idea. I've not played for about 8 years so promoter is about my level. I cartainly wouldn't get near the team.

Would there be beer?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
:lolol:

I reckon an NSC XI would be an idea. I've not played for about 8 years so promoter is about my level. I cartainly wouldn't get near the team.

Would there be beer?

Without a doubt, we could have T20, I will lay on the drinks for the NSC side, and then both teams can retire to the Cricketers after the game.

I will revisit this next April, get a date pencilled in then see what kind of response we get.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For the love of Jesus H Christ and all that is fudgin holy will someone please take the second flipping 'i' out of the feckin thread title.

It's driving me in-f*****g-sane.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Without a doubt, we could have T20, I will lay on the drinks for the NSC side, and then both teams can retire to the Cricketers after the game.

I will revisit this next April, get a date pencilled in then see what kind of response we get.

Great idea :thumbsup:

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
For the love of Jesus H Christ and all that is fudgin holy will someone please take the second flipping 'i' out of the feckin thread title.

It's driving me in-f*****g-sane.

Great input, Just when I thought we had a thread that the Legendary SB had no interest in contributing.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I'm glad someone else remembers playing at Stanmer House. I remember playing there in the late 70s but when you look at the area now, it's hard to imagine there was a pitch there. We had tea in the house itself IIRC

That was a glorious setting with the church, pond, and Stanmer House , as a background.
Such a shame that there is no pitch there now.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Years ago I played for a tiny village club (Brightling) and the late great John Newbury would turn out for us sometimes. Could have been a great cricketer but evidently couldn't really be bothered. He turned up one game about 15 minutes after we'd started, strolled on and took 9 for 18 and ran the other out with a direct hit from the boundary.

Also played an evening cup game for Ashburnham at Robertsbridge where we went for so many Robertsbridge declared after 17 overs as we'd spent so long looking for the ball we'd have run out of light if they'd carried on.

In another game for Ashburnham I managed to be one of the batsman Clay Pigeon world champion George Digweed didn't get out when he too 8 for 0 from 5 overs.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Was anyone else like me lucky enough to play with the late West Indian cricketer John Smith, a truly great character and very wise in all things cricket.

I was fortunate to play both with and against Sweetness on a number of occasions, including on a couple of tours. He was a smashing, attacking cricketer who still ran in fast well into his 70s. He had the best laugh in all of Sussex village cricket. A few of us (cricketers) nipped in to see him at the County hospital during his final days and, although he couldn't really speak, as we left we invited him to take the next over from the top end and his eyes lit up and he flickered a grin one final time. A true legend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here