Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Brooks GTS 15 for me.

Currently considering a lighter pair for my shorter runs and some trail shoes to head up on the downs with.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Pointless for me but when you are the first sub 2:10 marathon runner (Edinburgh Commonwealth Games 1970)running 160,000 miles in 50 years is probably addictive, obsessive and, maybe, even enjoyable.

I beat him in a Half Marathon once!
Great Langdale, 2008. Mind he was about 70 yrs old at the time.

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
Just stumbled across this thread as I'm trying to get into running and the times and distances you're all doing are unthinkable for me! I have been working my way up over the last couple of months to do 5km and then hopefully to 10km.

My main problem seems to be my legs getting really heavy rather than being out of breath. Does anyone have any tips to help improve this?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Just stumbled across this thread as I'm trying to get into running and the times and distances you're all doing are unthinkable for me! I have been working my way up over the last couple of months to do 5km and then hopefully to 10km.

My main problem seems to be my legs getting really heavy rather than being out of breath. Does anyone have any tips to help improve this?

How often are you running?
Are you taking rest days?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Out of interest, what running shoes are people wearing these days? I recently went from Asics Nimbus 16 to Nimbus 17. Didn't expect any difference apart from the colour scheme, but they are lighter and far more comfortable.

Currently Brooks Ghost 7. I think they're 7s, they increment by 1 with each new release. Used Asics and Nike in the past.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Brooks Adrenaline GTS, Adidas Boost for shorter runs/races, I didn't get on with Brooks racers,
Various trail shoes.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Brooks GTS 15 for me.

Currently considering a lighter pair for my shorter runs and some trail shoes to head up on the downs with.

Brooks GTS 14s here. Presumably only different because I bought them last year? Anyway, I preferred them to three other pairs I tried and find them both bouncy and very, very comfortable. I'll probably get a pair of 15s when they wear out.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Brooks GTS 14s here. Presumably only different because I bought them last year? Anyway, I preferred them to three other pairs I tried and find them both bouncy and very, very comfortable. I'll probably get a pair of 15s when they wear out.

I tend to get the previous years model on the internet now, as they're a lot cheaper than the current model.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Don't worry, we all started like that, and still feel like it sometimes. As [MENTION=11930]bob[/MENTION] implies, rest days are important so make sure you're not overdoing it. 3-4 times per week usually a sound basis, with mixed effort (ie not all as hard as you can). There are loads of good training programmes on the web that are useful to help you put a bit of a plan together. If you're in the 5-10km range now would really recommend doing parkrun on a Saturday - very inclusive (all ages and abilities) and free. Best of all though, think about joining a club - again, if you're up to 5k already you'll find a very friendly suitable local club in Burgess Hill - full details at www.bhrunners.co.uk but ALL abilities are welcome (complete beginners and up). All sessions run by qualified coaches who are happy to give advice (I'm a member so happy to provide any further info)

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
How often are you running?
Are you taking rest days?

Don't worry, we all started like that, and still feel like it sometimes. As [MENTION=11930]bob[/MENTION] implies, rest days are important so make sure you're not overdoing it. 3-4 times per week usually a sound basis, with mixed effort (ie not all as hard as you can). There are loads of good training programmes on the web that are useful to help you put a bit of a plan together. If you're in the 5-10km range now would really recommend doing parkrun on a Saturday - very inclusive (all ages and abilities) and free. Best of all though, think about joining a club - again, if you're up to 5k already you'll find a very friendly suitable local club in Burgess Hill - full details at www.bhrunners.co.uk but ALL abilities are welcome (complete beginners and up). All sessions run by qualified coaches who are happy to give advice (I'm a member so happy to provide any further info)

Thanks, only about 2-3 times per week depending on if I play 2 hours of 6-7 a side footie as well. Tracked the 2nd half of my last game and managed to cover 1.75 miles which I thought wasn't bad! Currently following a Bupa 5km programme and will start their 10km one after that. It really helped doing a mixture of running and walking slowly building up the running time and slowly reducing my time per mile.

What device do you track your times/distances on? I'm currently using an iPod Nano and I'm not sure about the accuracy as I plan a route on Google maps but when I run it I end up having to run maybe another 2-300m further than planned!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks, only about 2-3 times per week depending on if I play 2 hours of 6-7 a side footie as well. Tracked the 2nd half of my last game and managed to cover 1.75 miles which I thought wasn't bad! Currently following a Bupa 5km programme and will start their 10km one after that. It really helped doing a mixture of running and walking slowly building up the running time and slowly reducing my time per mile.

What device do you track your times/distances on? I'm currently using an iPod Nano and I'm not sure about the accuracy as I plan a route on Google maps but when I run it I end up having to run maybe another 2-300m further than planned!

Garmin for me - loads of different models on the market (look on Amazon) depending on what you're doing (size/shape/battery life/waterproof/with or without heart rate monitor etc). Software is great for analysis of runs afterwards as well - looks like this (you can click on any activity to see full details) : https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activities

Not 100% accurate but pretty close. Run/walk is a great way to get started.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I might be one of the plodders amongst the group but I can attest to how quickly you can make improvements if you stick with it.

I started just over 4 months ago and my first 5km was a huge effort, taking over 32 minutes. I'm now down to 24 and a bit, and that came as part of a 10km run so I'm sure I could do 23 something of I just set out for a hard 5km.

I can also run much further now with a weekly long run of 10m with an occasional half-marathon distance chucked in.

Most of us use a GPS enabled device - be it a Garmin watch, or similar, or a phone. The IPod nano doesn't have GPS so really only has a pedometer function which can be inaccurate.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I might be one of the plodders amongst the group but I can attest to how quickly you can make improvements if you stick with it.

I started just over 4 months ago and my first 5km was a huge effort, taking over 32 minutes. I'm now down to 24 and a bit, and that came as part of a 10km run so I'm sure I could do 23 something of I just set out for a hard 5km.

I can also run much further now with a weekly long run of 10m with an occasional half-marathon distance chucked in.

Most of us use a GPS enabled device - be it a Garmin watch, or similar, or a phone. The IPod nano doesn't have GPS so really only has a pedometer function which can be inaccurate.

Some good advice on here, and I can confirm what Bozza's said, as I made similar improvements (albeit over a rather longer time period, and without resorting to Bozza's heroic 200km per month...). I agree with dazzer that the parkruns can be a real help -- I found them quite motivating, with a good supportive atmosphere and the ability to identify regular runners just that little bit better than yourself to use to target improvement week-on-week, as well as a number of quite elderly men and women doing really good times to act as inspiration. Following an ankle injury, which I still can't quite shake off, my 5km time has plateaued at just over 23m, and it looks as if Bozza's about to overtake me if he continues with his rate of improvement.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Went for an easy 40 mins tonight, Year to date stats a bit spooky.......I knew it was about that amount but not that close !

Distance 1,000.0 mi
Time 157h 54m
Elev Gain 57,028 ft
Runs 119

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Went for an easy 40 mins tonight, Year to date stats a bit spooky.......I knew it was about that amount but not that close !

Distance1,000.0 mi
Time157h 54m
Elev Gain57,028 ft
Runs119
That's mighty impressive. I'm not sure I've done that many miles on my bike this year!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
my 5km time has plateaued at just over 23m, and it looks as if Bozza's about to overtake me if he continues with his rate of improvement.

I think it will take me quite a while. I reckon currently, at a push, I'd dip below 24 but I'd be a very high 23. I'm assuming rate of improvement will tail off quite quickly soon.

Distance1,000.0 mi
Time157h 54m
Elev Gain57,028 ft
Runs119

That's very impressive indeed!

I'm in Bristol, again, and on my drive to the hotel I saw several umbrellas blown inside out, comic book style and it's pissing it down. The hotel gym, complete with treadmills etc, is on the same floor as my room but I'm going to head outside anyway. I've become running obsessed over the weekend and have read a lot of running blogs and the like. It's a better addiction to have than booze and gambling I guess.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think it will take me quite a while. I reckon currently, at a push, I'd dip below 24 but I'd be a very high 23. I'm assuming rate of improvement will tail off quite quickly soon.

That's very impressive indeed!

I'm in Bristol, again, and on my drive to the hotel I saw several umbrellas blown inside out, comic book style and it's pissing it down. The hotel gym, complete with treadmills etc, is on the same floor as my room but I'm going to head outside anyway. I've become running obsessed over the weekend and have read a lot of running blogs and the like. It's a better addiction to have than booze and gambling I guess.

Don't be too sure, I've knocked over 2 mins off in 3 months.......having been stuck at more or less the same time for years......and last time out took over a minute off in one go. Just get @knocky to chase you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here