Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Hastings HM for me today. Such a good event probably second to Barns Green my favourite half in Sussex.
I was really only going to use it as a training run for London in four weeks but felt good going up the hill so pushed on and finished in a pleasing 1:42:23.
So nice to run in the sun even if a bit of a headwind for the last couple of miles.
One more long run and then time for tapering at last!

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
First time at Preston Park parkrun for me today (not quite sure why I haven't been before as it's not much further for me from my parents house than hove park) 17:35 and first old got for me.
First 5k of the year and pretty happy with that as only 9 seconds off last year's SB age grading 78.20% if anyone is able to add it to the table.

Excellent conditions this morning, probably should have gone to the prom for a slightly quicker time!

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Only a couple of days to go until the Brighton Marathon. I did my last training run last night (a gentle 5K) and hopefully I’ve done enough to achieve a sub 3:30 time.

I’ve done 2 half marathons in the last few weeks at 1:36 and 1:37 which has given me a bit of confidence.

My original plan was to go off a bit quicker and get some time ‘in the bank’ for the inevitable slowdown later on. However, I’ve read a fair number of articles that say this is a flawed strategy and I’ll run out of gas by front loading the race.

Normally the excitement of the day would have me setting off at a much faster pace anyway.

But now I’m thinking that I will just stick with the 3:30 pacer and if I have something left come mile 22, I’ll push on. Will feel odd to start with but I guess after a mile or 4, I’ll start to relax into a 8:00 min/mile pace.

Sound like a plan? I know that quite often plans go out the window once the gun fires but I really want to try and manage this one well.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Only a couple of days to go until the Brighton Marathon. I did my last training run last night (a gentle 5K) and hopefully I’ve done enough to achieve a sub 3:30 time.

I’ve done 2 half marathons in the last few weeks at 1:36 and 1:37 which has given me a bit of confidence.

My original plan was to go off a bit quicker and get some time ‘in the bank’ for the inevitable slowdown later on. However, I’ve read a fair number of articles that say this is a flawed strategy and I’ll run out of gas by front loading the race.

Normally the excitement of the day would have me setting off at a much faster pace anyway.

But now I’m thinking that I will just stick with the 3:30 pacer and if I have something left come mile 22, I’ll push on. Will feel odd to start with but I guess after a mile or 4, I’ll start to relax into a 8:00 min/mile pace.

Sound like a plan? I know that quite often plans go out the window once the gun fires but I really want to try and manage this one well.
Personally I’d want to be a bit further ahead of the pacer, as maintaining or speeding up in the final stages of a marathon is tough.

Maybe bank some time but discipline yourself to run 7:55’s. Good luck.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I know everyone is different and it can depend on how you feel on the day, but the only time I managed a sub-4 was in my second-ever marathon (first Brighton and a decade after my first) when I went off like a ROCKET around PP and down the road. I was then clinging on travelling East along the seafront with a bit of walk-run action because I was pretty spent. Even without the Bobkin sprint finish I would've probably made it – official time was 3:57 – but there is no way I was getting that time without that initial burst at the start.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Whereas my first sub 4 ( there were only 3 of them) was an even paced 3.58. I recall going through half way at 1.59.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Word of warning about a quick start is that you have the 1/2 mile uphill section in the first mile. Not sure gunning it up there will be too beneficial and to be honest it would be pretty difficult anyway as it's a bit tight up there with all the parked cars.

I'd settle in personally, a bit off the pace but it's up to you innit.

Good luck, have fun!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Good luck on Sunday. As a rule of thumb, you should be able to achieve double your half marathon time + 10 minutes. So, a sub 3:30 time looks very achievable.

I know most of the running articles say you shouldn't try and front load a race but it's always worked for me. Just as long as you're sensible and don't go off at a stupid pace. I'd suggest trying to get yourself a bit of a gap in front of the 3:30 pacer to give yourself a slight buffer and avoid the crowding you always get around pacers. I often start behind the pacer and then ease myself in front of them after a couple of miles when things to start to thin out.

Still another week for me before Boston. That starts with a steep downhill, so I'm going to be focused on not going off way too fast.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Thanks all for the advice.

Seems my first idea to put a bit in the bank is a decent idea. This is my 6th Brighton Marathon so I do have a bit of experience. My previous one was in 2019 and was also my best time of 3:42.

Think I’m going to try and put the pacer behind me early on and then try to keep a manageable and comfortable(ish) pace.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Sunday will be my 6th Brighton Marathon (14th in all). I’m just a fun runner. 4:31 was my best, last year, shortly after turning 50. I’m expecting little but pain on Sunday though. A new job has meant upending a shift structure that gave me lots of late shifts, allowing me oodles of training time in the mornings. Means I’m way short on mileage, putting in 20-25 miles a week less than in 2023. I flamed out at the Kingston Breakfest Run a few weeks back too, which doesn’t help the nerves. All I want to do is get round and enjoy the ride.

But I will. I know I will. I love the feel of the day and the joy of running all over my favourite place.

And when it’s done, I shall enrol for 2025.

Have fun, everybody!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Good luck to those running on Sunday. I’ll be managing the High5 Drinks Station just after mile 15 towards the west end of Madeira Drive.
I’ve been very impressed with LME’s organisation this year - BM is still in transition but I have a feeling it’s going become a bigger and better event over the next few years. There seems to be a real ambition to put the event firmly back on the map as one of the top marathons in the UK.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Good luck to those running on Sunday. I’ll be managing the High5 Drinks Station just after mile 15 towards the west end of Madeira Drive.
I’ve been very impressed with LME’s organisation this year - BM is still in transition but I have a feeling it’s going become a bigger and better event over the next few years. There seems to be a real ambition to put the event firmly back on the map as one of the top marathons in the UK.
I might swing past for a glug then. I’ll be wearing the black away strip, just like last year.

IMG_0208.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here