Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Back at A&E today. Found out why the pain wasn't getting better. Waiting for an appointment to have foot cut open. A while off running and Saturday's holiday departure looking doubtful.View attachment 166009
FFS gaffer, just when it looked like it might be coming together. You’re certainly pushing new boundaries in regard to injuries. I hope it’s sorted quickly mate.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
My run streak is over after 1314 days and 10,384 miles.

Went out for an 11-12 miler yesterday evening at moderate pace as it was still quite warm.

For the first time ever, I felt so tired I had to stop, sir down and rest. And again. And again. And again.

My pace was getting slower and slower and it was a real struggle to even swing my arms. When I got home I was completely drained and unable to do a great deal.

Today my Apple Watch gave me an Atrial Fibrillation warning. Checking it, I noticed it had done the same last night, but I'd missed it somehow. They've carried on through today, and I can feel my heart is all over the place. Just seen a GP who advised me to stop all strenuous activity as well as drinking alcohol. A massive double blow.

I’ve just had an ECG which confirms I have AF.

Waiting to hear from the doctor as to what happens next.
For what its worth here is my experience over the last 6months or so of something similar. Lots of ECGs. Rung up at work and told to go to A&E immediately by someone at Redhill who had seen one of my ECGs. Sat in A&E all day having multiple ECGs and blood tests. No diagnosis and no consultant. Get to see consultant 4 weeks later. More ECGs. Get appointment for ultrasound and have ultrasound. Wear a 24hr Holter. Get various letters saying not much found on ultrasound or Holter. Go for an MRI at St Barts in London. Not sure why I had to go there but I know my consultant wrote to a special consultant there asking if they would see me. Had MRI. Waiting for results.

I guess all heart investigations are different but its been quite a long process for me so far.

Good luck. Not doing excercise is hard when you are used to being active. Take it easy and make sure you have shared the NSC master password and instruction manual with someone.

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
For what its worth here is my experience over the last 6months or so of something similar. Lots of ECGs. Rung up at work and told to go to A&E immediately by someone at Redhill who had seen one of my ECGs. Sat in A&E all day having multiple ECGs and blood tests. No diagnosis and no consultant. Get to see consultant 4 weeks later. More ECGs. Get appointment for ultrasound and have ultrasound. Wear a 24hr Holter. Get various letters saying not much found on ultrasound or Holter. Go for an MRI at St Barts in London. Not sure why I had to go there but I know my consultant wrote to a special consultant there asking if they would see me. Had MRI. Waiting for results.

I guess all heart investigations are different but its been quite a long process for me so far.

Good luck. Not doing excercise is hard when you are used to being active. Take it easy and make sure you have shared the NSC master password and instruction manual with someone.
I had similar when they were looking for inherited heart conditions, they found an exercise induced enlarged ventricle which they wanted to monitor but otherwise everything was ok, actually overdue a follow up so probably need to get on to the GP

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Good luck to you and those facing similar investigations.
My 😆 was for your last paragraph.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012

Sounds a bit shit mate. May or may not be the case in your situation, but a lot of issues around diagnosis with cardiac arrhythmias I've found in my time as a nurse was capturing the event sufficiently for diagnosis. I’ve had people wait years to capture an arrhythmia on ECG as every time they look at a ECG machine they spontaneously revert.

Personally I’ve been very jammy in diagnosis, last year my 11 year old daughter’s school called saying she was unwell. I thought I’d finish the shopping as she was normally a well child. Got to the school, pale, clammy and heart rate of 240. I thought shit we gotta capture this so got her to a nearby walk in centre (I know not the place) got her an ECG within minutes and captured SVT. She self reverted to sinus rhythm 30 seconds later.
3 months of meds and one ablation later she appears to be fixed. I think luck was on my side that day.
Her cardiologist recommended one of the following to use if she felt palpitations again as it could be used to help diagnose any further issues should they occur.https://store.alivecor.co.uk/?gad=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgNanBhDUARIsAAeIcAvNQU2oPo9VOo4Hvbq_UYyGHcMRWm60t-oHnpBbquZL7z8ujZJ-xUwaAgcWEALw_wcB

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good luck for Bozza. I'm on a 3-4 month waiting list despite constant pain and being unable to stand on the foot with the half needle in it. Had to get a bus to the ambulatory care centre today.My plan is to go for a 5k needle run and go into A&E yet again very, very swollen.

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Wow! I won the lottery. Got squeezed in at Princess Royal yesterday. General anaesthetic Woke up needle free and all nerves, tendons, ligaments and PF all left intact. They used xray to locate.
I am so lucky that the surgeon was at Sussex County on Monday. He saw how leaving it in (a preferred option for NHS) would stop me running. He had a 6 hour reconstruction op. yesterday and fitted me in after at 4pm. My hero he didn't have to with the weekend looming.
2 days of nothing, 7 days no weight bearing. Then slow recovery begins.

60 weeks normal waiting list for orthopaedic surgery. 😲
Must buy the wife a new sewing box. 😆

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Thanks.

It's very obvious something is wrong - I can feel it for a start - my heart is all over the place most of the time. The warnings from my Apple Watch were so frequent, that I've turned them off now.

And, looking at the various things in Apple Health for heart readings illustrate that. My resting HR has jumped from low-50s for the last few years to mid-60s, and my heartbeat variability has similarly jumped massively...

IMG_1558.jpg

So, I don't think anyone will have any trouble seeing something is amiss, it's more what they do with it from there - I know there are various treatments for atrial fibrillation.

Not being able to run (and drink!) is, frankly, horrible. I miss it terribly after only five days. Fingers crossed, I get to see someone soon and get on the path to a remedy.

And, you joke about NSC passwords etc, but it is something I'm going to do. A friend of Mrs B lost her husband suddenly, and it's taken two years and £5,000 to try and get access to her husband's iCloud account, and she still hasn't got it yet. So, I need to document various bits and pieces, just in case!

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks.

It's very obvious something is wrong - I can feel it for a start - my heart is all over the place most of the time. The warnings from my Apple Watch were so frequent, that I've turned them off now.

And, looking at the various things in Apple Health for heart readings illustrate that. My resting HR has jumped from low-50s for the last few years to mid-60s, and my heartbeat variability has similarly jumped massively...

View attachment 166187

So, I don't think anyone will have any trouble seeing something is amiss, it's more what they do with it from there - I know there are various treatments for atrial fibrillation.

Not being able to run (and drink!) is, frankly, horrible. I miss it terribly after only five days. Fingers crossed, I get to see someone soon and get on the path to a remedy.

And, you joke about NSC passwords etc, but it is something I'm going to do. A friend of Mrs B lost her husband suddenly, and it's taken two years and £5,000 to try and get access to her husband's iCloud account, and she still hasn't got it yet. So, I need to document various bits and pieces, just in case!

It's tough when you have to sit around without any idea what your future plan can be. My schoolmate and Triathlon competitor, when we were young in our 50's, was found to have AF at Xmas. He's on Beta Blockers. Has stopped anaerobic running and cycling. He can still drink for England. Last week he biked a slow old boys 40 miler on the Downslink with 6 pints involved. His heart went awol again.
He can do aerobic exercise or drink but not both. He's being careful but the drinking needs to be reduced!

Good luck. Are there any AF forums around?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Wow! I won the lottery. Got squeezed in at Princess Royal yesterday. General anaesthetic Woke up needle free and all nerves, tendons, ligaments and PF all left intact. They used xray to locate.
I am so lucky that the surgeon was at Sussex County on Monday. He saw how leaving it in (a preferred option for NHS) would stop me running. He had a 6 hour reconstruction op. yesterday and fitted me in after at 4pm. My hero he didn't have to with the weekend looming.

Great news and must be a big relief. Did you have to go private to see the surgeon? Apologies if I’ve missed something

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Great news and must be a big relief. Did you have to go private to see the surgeon? Apologies if I’ve missed something

NHS. Luck was on my side. Would have gone private but would have been around £3-6,000 with more weeks waiting.

Anchorman

Oct 19, 2007

Great news for you, but I’m pretty staggered that they’d leave it in there for over a year as the ‘preferred option’ The preferred option is surely asap, what a sad state the NHS is in (I can hear myself stating the bleeding obvious) if hobbling around with a needle stuck in your foot has a priority rating of 60 weeks.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Great news for you, but I’m pretty staggered that they’d leave it in there for over a year as the ‘preferred option’ The preferred option is surely asap, what a sad state the NHS is in (I can hear myself stating the bleeding obvious) if hobbling around with a needle stuck in your foot has a priority rating of 60 weeks.

A friend has had 2 needles in her foot for decades apparently. She rarely feels them but can't dance about. Over time the needle apparently embeds within the foot and stops being a problem in 90% of cases. He was sympathetic when I explained it was in exactly the position for fore foot runnning or speed work. I love him. Him and his team are getting a thankyou card.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Thanks.

View attachment 166187

Yes, not exercising is very difficult if you are used to it. I have replaced it with extended walks but its not the same. Also I have found you need lots of patience with the NHS. They do their best but they are overwhelmed and this impacts their organisational skills.

The NSC password thing was not entirely in jest. I play an online cricket game (From The Pavillion in case anyone interested) which was created, coded, developed, maintained and run mostly by one individual in Australia who about 5 years ago suddenly became seriously ill and died. I think over about a month he scrambled to brain dump his entire knowledge to an inner circle of people but even with that time it was touch and go if they could get it to run. Luckily they did.

You will be OK.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Don’t forget that it was the NHS that also resolved the problem.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My run streak is over after 1314 days and 10,384 miles.

Went out for an 11-12 miler yesterday evening at moderate pace as it was still quite warm.

For the first time ever, I felt so tired I had to stop, sir down and rest. And again. And again. And again.

My pace was getting slower and slower and it was a real struggle to even swing my arms. When I got home I was completely drained and unable to do a great deal.

Today my Apple Watch gave me an Atrial Fibrillation warning. Checking it, I noticed it had done the same last night, but I'd missed it somehow. They've carried on through today, and I can feel my heart is all over the place. Just seen a GP who advised me to stop all strenuous activity as well as drinking alcohol. A massive double blow.

I’ve just had an ECG which confirms I have AF.

Waiting to hear from the doctor as to what happens next.
You should never do strenuous exercise and drink alcohol…….. just put it on a table somewhere.

Hope you’re ok.

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
Having been highly impressed with the ill fortune suffered by NSC runners recently I thought I'd join the club.

Came off my bike yesterday morning heading to work and have broken 6 ribs. Going to be a prolonged spell on the sidelines just as things were starting to click for the autumn season :(

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Argh - really sorry to hear this - suspect you’ll be volunteering at parkrun and can fill us in on the details?

Do we need a league table of injuries?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here