Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Great NSC runners meet up yesterday evening at a hot and sunny Weakest Link Relay. Sam from the Jog Shop organised with his usual aplomb and not a care about sharing with hundreds of others on a crowded Prom.
The Boys done well on a new unfamiliar course. [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] set us off with a battling run, I then did my job, [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] sweated determinedly through his leg and finally [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] put in a fast last leg that made our 5th group leg VERY hard for himself. We got through that without being overtaken. I promise you won't get 4th leg next time!
I'm proud of the team �� and realised we are the longest running independent team to enter Weakest Link having not missed one since 2016 ( I think).

Great support from a crocked [MENTION=9083]Anchorman[/MENTION] and a brilliant run from [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] who ran for the equivalent of Crystal Palace. Match report please.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Great NSC runners meet up yesterday evening at a hot and sunny Weakest Link Relay. Sam from the Jog Shop organised with his usual aplomb and not a care about sharing with hundreds of others on a crowded Prom.
The Boys done well on a new unfamiliar course. [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] set us off with a battling run, I then did my job, [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] sweated determinedly through his leg and finally [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] put in a fast last leg that made our 5th group leg VERY hard for himself. We got through that without being overtaken. I promise you won't get 4th leg next time!
I'm proud of the team �� and realised we are the longest running independent team to enter Weakest Link having not missed one since 2016 ( I think).

Great support from a crocked [MENTION=9083]Anchorman[/MENTION] and a brilliant run from [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] who ran for the equivalent of Crystal Palace. Match report please.

You’ll note, I did a ‘Glen Murray’ and didn’t celebrate when I crossed the finish line.

Great to have The Weakest Link back. The course was better than I thought, would probably edge towards the original still though overall. If they were to run two a year, then alternating would be ideal.

Good to see you all last night.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You’ll note, I did a ‘Glen Murray’ and didn’t celebrate when I crossed the finish line.

Great to have The Weakest Link back. The course was better than I thought, would probably edge towards the original still though overall. If they were to run two a year, then alternating would be ideal.

Good to see you too. I also prefer the original course better during the non running time in particular. Found it a massive slow down twisting round Fat Boy's Cafe and up the slope out of the Lagoon.
By alternating do you mean between teams? Are you coming home?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Well done gaffer on organising us all. Although with one team, there were no Potter-esque selection dilemmas to be made or need for squad rotation. But playing away from 'home' is still a big factor and I think we put in a decent performance. Great to see the gang and I can't wait until the next one – wherever, or whenever, it might be.

These are a good course :lolol:

I think I too prefer the original for it's character and less technical nature. Last night's combined turn and 'hill' around the cafe area out and back isn't ideal, especially with so many pedestrians and beach-goers around the place. But it wasn't as bad as I'd feared.

Good to see you too [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION]. I had you in my sights for about 200m and then as I realised I'd gone off too quickly (no change there) you drifted off into the distance. Looking forward to a fuller complement of NSC teams at the next one :thumbsup:

Anchorman

Oct 19, 2007

I’m sure I heard Big Nuts team singing ‘Is that all you take away’ at me.

Impressive running again from the NSC team, there was plenty of sweat on show. This event seems really popular with runners as much as a social event as anything else really. It’s quite a who’s who of local runners and teams. As I wasn’t running I had more chance to mingle and it’s amazing how many people you know from parkruns, running events and just when you’re out jogging, even if you don’t know the all the names you know the faces.

Just back from a 3 mile walk so whatever I did to my hamstring the other night can’t be anything much.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Great fun event - thanks for organising [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION].

Thought the course worked well but there is by as much of a natural team spectating are as at Black Rock.
Great to see everyone and looking forward to the next one.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Great job on the Weakest Link runs yesterday :clap2:. I spotted your runs on Strava last night, after I uploaded my workout run. I had to do a tempo run, but it was 34C (+humidity) during the day, so I ended up waiting until 8:30PM before heading out.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Someone stole the tip box from Fat Boy's Cafe wearing my running hat and sunglasses. It looks very much like me.

Screenshot_20220623-182251_Facebook.jpg

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Well done to all the weakest linkers. Sounds as if it was a great evening and, judging by my Strava feed, most of the Brighton running world took part.

Good to see [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] at Preston Park today.

And [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION], can I request a small table tweak please? 22:28 at PP this morning gives me 75.37% AG which, although well short of a PB, is in fact my highest ever AG by a tiny amount (previously 75.36%). Marginal gains and all that....

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well done to all the weakest linkers. Sounds as if it was a great evening and, judging by my Strava feed, most of the Brighton running world took part.

Good to see [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] at Preston Park today.

And [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION], can I request a small table tweak please? 22:28 at PP this morning gives me 75.37% AG which, although well short of a PB, is in fact my highest ever AG by a tiny amount (previously 75.36%). Marginal gains and all that....

Sure thing with table update. Congratulations.

Weakest Link results show the old boys done us proud in 26th place out of 73.

https://www.facebook.com/1126568721...ygGrZbpStwWdqv54wyGKRASaDCKRPKZhEVrMiNeNCZ7l/

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Another slap on the collective back of the NSC team in the Weakest Link event.
Usual Worthing Parkrun with an OK time of 21.14. Calf and hamstrings behaved themselves. A VW85 did it in under 42 minutes. Remarkable especially in the strong wind.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Another slap on the collective back of the NSC team in the Weakest Link event.
Usual Worthing Parkrun with an OK time of 21.14. Calf and hamstrings behaved themselves. A VW85 did it in under 42 minutes. Remarkable especially in the strong wind.

I'm still nowhere near a 21:14. Happy I've had a return of speed but my lack of stamina, through little recent mileage, hits me if I run over just one mile. Had a bullying run at Hove Park yesterday. Warmed the legs up for 2.7 miles and then put the foot down.
I've now got a difficult schedule with the Phoenix 10k in 2 weeks and the 800m and 3000m in 4 weeks. No chance of being race ready for the 10k so I'll just turn up and enjoy it. The 800m will be my target. After that back to running 5k better than my sb of 21:48. Fingers crossed but think I'm getting there, wherever there is.

This mile event returns on Wednesday. I'll give it a shot.
WEDNESDAY AT 6:30 PM – 7 PM
June 29 Magic Mile 2022
Preston Park Chalet Cafe

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I realised when looking at this pic the other day that we probably should've stood in order! Or maybe that's my slight OCD?

Also – spot the trail runner with the 'odd one out' number placement :lolol:
[MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] wanted the yellows together so we just had to move him along two. Shall I photoshop it? :lol:

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Clocked 4h 32m 15s today in the inaugural Brighton Trail Marathon (my first marathon too). Superb course, plenty of beautiful local trails I’d never run before, although sending us up Ditchling Beacon on mile 20 was just cruel.

Any other NSC’ers take part?

Were a few organisational hiccups as it was the first one, but I’d recommend next years event to any trail runners out there.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Clocked 4h 32m 15s today in the inaugural Brighton Trail Marathon (my first marathon too). Superb course, plenty of beautiful local trails I’d never run before, although sending us up Ditchling Beacon on mile 20 was just cruel.

Were a few organisational hiccups as it was the first one, but I’d recommend next years event to any trail runners out there.

Great time for off road and hills. Well done.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Brilliant run - well done.

I was volunteering at Stanmer (for 13 hours!) Had a great day. I quite possibly gave you your kit bag as I was mainly on the baggage stand.

Definitely a few teething problems and some learnings for the first time this event has run but overall I think it was a massive success. The overwhelming feeling from marathon, 10k and kids race participants was hugely positive - it seemed to be such a happy event - I’ve never seen so many smiles for such a tough event. The atmosphere in the field after the event was so good.
As I say a few learnings but quite a challenge to put on a trail marathon on a new course which threw up a lot of last minute challenges for the organisers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here