Official Running Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

D

Deleted member 2719

Thanks for the detail and I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

That's a very respectable set of results. If you wanted to push on further you might think about investing in a pair of fancy-dan trainers. Also maybe consider doing some longer runs and then also some fast intervals (e.g 500 metres reps with a 2 minute rests). Also If you trust your body, find some hills to run up.
It's good to improve as you get older and remain motivated. You will plateau at some point and this is when you'll really need to review your training.
And, above all, don't get crocked: sub 25 is waiting to be collected!

Thanks for all those tips, I will stick some into operation very soon.

The longest runs I have done in the past 4 years are about 3x7k, 1x8k, and 1x10k, so they haven't really been my bag, mainly down to time, but I will have to squeeze a few more in.

What sort of average cadence should guys of my age be able to achieve???

Well done mate. Good 🏃*♂️ running.

Thank you, kind sir. I am not looking to compete as I am way off that, but happy to compete with myself!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
So close to creeping up a spot in the table this morning with an 18:07 giving me an age grading of 74.79%

Nearly there (0.06%), I've been able to edit that in the previous table.

Had hayfever breathing troubles this week, so decided to let the Vaporfly take me for a ride on the first 2 miles at Hove prom today and pick up on the last mile. Had a great bullying half mile run in where I was able to overtake about 10 people and get up to a 5:30 mile finish pace for a 22:35 time.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
No need for action yet just an alert.

The Weakest Link - date to be confirmed @ 7pm - Madeira Drive, Brighton Entry £10 per team

The original and best NSC team running event

Four runners per team - every runner runs a leg and then all four runners run the 5th leg together.

The time is taken on the 4th runner to cross the line after the 5th leg.

This year I'm away so have decided to pass over the reins to [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] A quick chat with [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] yesterday and we decided he was perfect for the job (Social Media presence and insider knowledge of local events). I'm sure he will be unable to turn down such a highly respected role as Gaffer.
No date set yet but the following maybe interested. I'm around for 2 weeks and will try and get a set date from The Jog Shop. [MENTION=3736]Mr Banana[/MENTION] [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] [MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION] [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] [MENTION=25508]soistes[/MENTION] [MENTION=1508]BenElton'sBrother[/MENTION] [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] [MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION] [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] [MENTION=9083]Anchorman[/MENTION] [MENTION=137]Blue&WhiteSea[/MENTION] [MENTION=566]Bad Ash[/MENTION] [MENTION=24975]St Leonards Seagull[/MENTION] [MENTION=1115]Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms[/MENTION] [MENTION=18099]ForestRowSeagull[/MENTION] [MENTION=33626]CoolTed[/MENTION] [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] [MENTION=67]Curious Orange[/MENTION] [MENTION=88]Bob![/MENTION] [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] Some of these aren't local but maybe visiting home that week
[MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION] may have some Worthing boys interested

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

The Weakest Link - date to be confirmed @ 7pm - Madeira Drive, Brighton Entry £10 per team

Four runners per team - every runner runs a leg and then all four runners run the 5th leg together.

This year I'm away so have decided to pass over the reins to [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] A quick chat with [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] yesterday and we decided he was perfect for the job (Social Media presence and insider knowledge of local events). I'm sure he will be unable to turn down such a highly respected role as Gaffer.
No date set yet but the following maybe interested. I'm around for 2 weeks and will try and get a set date from The Jog Shop. [MENTION=3736]Mr Banana[/MENTION] [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] [MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION] [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] [MENTION=25508]soistes[/MENTION] [MENTION=1508]BenElton'sBrother[/MENTION] [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] [MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION] [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] [MENTION=9083]Anchorman[/MENTION] [MENTION=137]Blue&WhiteSea[/MENTION] [MENTION=566]Bad Ash[/MENTION] [MENTION=24975]St Leonards Seagull[/MENTION] [MENTION=1115]Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms[/MENTION] [MENTION=18099]ForestRowSeagull[/MENTION] [MENTION=33626]CoolTed[/MENTION] [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] [MENTION=67]Curious Orange[/MENTION] [MENTION=88]Bob![/MENTION] [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] Some of these aren't local but maybe visiting home that week
[MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION] may have some Worthing boys interested

Never done it and in absolutely no shape whatsoever……..but happy to waddle round to make up the numbers if needed and date works. Is each leg a 5k ?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Never done it and in absolutely no shape whatsoever……..but happy to waddle round to make up the numbers if needed and date works. Is each leg a 5k ?

No each leg is an easy peasy 2.5km including running up the cliff behind the Marina Car Park.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Not for me, but thanks for the mention gaffer.

I couldn't run for a bus at the moment. Just over my second bout of Covid and tendon trouble led to a knee full of fluid just before that. I'm a wreck.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

This sounds like a race. Thanks for excluding me!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

I assume this is going to be in June? I was originally planning to be in Sussex in June but my friends ended up cancelling their wedding party (the actual wedding was last year). Given I'm running Berlin in September, I've decided to stop in the UK for a week each side of that, rather than visit in June.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I assume this is going to be in June? I was originally planning to be in Sussex in June but my friends ended up cancelling their wedding party (the actual wedding was last year). Given I'm running Berlin in September, I've decided to stop in the UK for a week each side of that, rather than visit in June.

Berlin sounds good. The Weakest Link Relay have plans for a second event this year at Hove Lagoon around that time. See you there hopefully.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Thanks for the heads up, gaffer – one of THE highlights of the running calendar.

Having said that, my speed work is not up to much these days and my monthly mileage is down, so won't be pulling up any trees. However, there's a bit of time to get into a bit of shape, so...

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Having joined my local athletics club and training with them on the track since last October, yesterday I had my first ever Veterans League (Western) track races. Prior to this my only track race was a club open 3000m, and typically I'm doing parkruns, etc. So doing a 400m and a 1500m were very new experiences.

Gaffer can we have some new distances added to the table?! :lol:

The too long didn’t read version: Unofficial results:
400M (35-49 B race): 57.7s P1
1500M (35-49 A race): 4:50 - think I was last of As and beaten by 1 B too.

Longer version:
I was signed up to the 400m and 1500m. I was rather apprehensive that the 400m was 30 mins before the 1500m, and knowing me, I didn’t think I’d recover very well from a red line all out effort. While the night was good fun, it was all a bit amateur, they were running late from the very start as I gather the starter was running late. Communication was all a bit lacking. This made warming up a bit awkward as I couldn’t quite work out when I should start it.

The 100m events finished and next up was supposed to be the 3000m SC (steeple chase, you know the ones with a few big hurdles and a water jump), with the 400m after that, so was just about to start my warm up. Then there was the announcement that the water jump was only half full, so they’ve had to change the SC into a straight 3000m, but they will do it at the end of the night. So the 400m was up. Great, my warmup consisted of one lap of the track.

I was in the B race. Checked out the guy for our club in the A race on powerof10 his PB is under 56s (he trains with a different group, I guess the sprinters, so don't know him). Had absolutely no idea what I could do, at training I think my quickest lap is probably ~71s, but that’s generally as part of a set of 12+ reps all trying to hit an even(ish) pace. A sub-60 seemed a very ambitious goal.

I was in lane 5 with 3 guys to my outside, one of which was a club training partner who was a non-scorer. I did a normal standing start and recorded it on the watch. Not sure what the deal with blocks were, some people used them in the A race anyway. The gun went and after the first bend I’d caught my clubmate in lane 8. Stagger for the other 2 outside me remained. Down the back straight caught up with one of the other guys pulling even as I got to the second bend. No sign of anyone inside me. At this point I realised I probably had set off a bit conservatively and tried to pick up the pace. Exited the bend and other guy had quite a gap on me (still no-one inside), probably at least the original stagger remained.

Completely emptied the tank for the final 100m and was slowly reeling him in, and think I pipped him in the final 5m to take the ‘tape’. Stopped my watch for a 57.7s. Delighted to record a sub-60s. Looking at Strava afterwards I think I was the only one in the 400m to have recorded it, comfortably topping the daily chart for the lap segment.

Ate half a banana and then it was time for the 1500m, no real announcement it was starting but could see people starting to gather around the start line. The 35-49 As and Bs lined up together in this one. Start was about 25 mins after my 400m. We lined up, comedy miss-firing gun moment, take a step back and start again. The gun went and I ended up going straight to to front, think the speed and adrenaline from the 400m had a part to play in that. Held the lead for the first 300m until crossing the finish line for the first time at which point I realised I’d set off way too quickly. Checking someone else’s Strava who I think was hitting the lap button suggested 53s for the first 300m. I should point out there was no lap clock.

2 guys came storming past me, felt my pace drop and realised I had 3 laps of pain left. I think mentally I checked out at this point, feeling that the earlier 400m had completely drained me. Gradually others passed me, at least 3, maybe a couple more. At the bell there were a couple of guys 5m ahead. They probably pulled away a little more over the next 200m, at which point I realised there was 200m only to go and I could pick up the pace. I closed the gap slightly, but it wasn’t close.

Stopped the watch on 4:50. Before the night I would have been happy with that, sub-5 was the goal, but with hindsight it was disappointing.

There are 3 more events in the calendar, each with slightly different race options. I think for the remaining events I’ll pick just a single race. Overall I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the rest of the season. It seems a good mix of competitiveness and fun. I'd definitely recommend people give it a go. Up until last October the only time I'd been on an athletics track was a school sports day. But now I'm really enjoying it, even if every session/race leaves be bend over double.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Gaffer can we have some new distances added to the table?! :lol:

The too long didn’t read version: Unofficial results:
400M (35-49 B race): 57.7s P1
1500M (35-49 A race): 4:50 - think I was last of As and beaten by 1 B too.

Great track running Ash. Great times. I won't add the new distances but can accept any AG %age if higher than the one currently in the table. http://www.howardgrubb.co.uk/athletics/wmalookup06.html
Are you 42? I forget, if so.......

Your result
Sex: M
Time/distance/height: 4:50 for 1500m
Age-performance : 76.23%

Sex: M
Time/distance/height: 57.7 for 400m
Age-performance : 81.18%

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I don't think it's fair to update the table, as these much shorter distances would seem to rather distort the results. But just for the sake of posterity the official results were:
400m: 57.9s age 42 male: 80.89%
1500m: 4:50.9 age 42 male: 75.99%

Compared to:
5k (parkrun): 18:21 age 41 male: 74.95% (using above age grading, not parkrun's)
10K: 37:43 age 41 male 75.89%

My HM & Mara are completely off the (bottom) of the chart. I plan to try and beat my half PB at some point.

Actually the 1500m doesn't seem that out of whack, but I really felt, with hindsight, that I under performed with that one. A sub-5 minute mile is definitely the goal now...

Be interested to see how other people's WAVAs differ over distances.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I don't think it's fair to update the table, as these much shorter distances would seem to rather distort the results. But just for the sake of posterity the official results were:
400m: 57.9s age 42 male: 80.89%
1500m: 4:50.9 age 42 male: 75.99%

Compared to:
5k (parkrun): 18:21 age 41 male: 74.95% (using above age grading, not parkrun's)
10K: 37:43 age 41 male 75.89%

My HM & Mara are completely off the (bottom) of the chart. I plan to try and beat my half PB at some point.

Actually the 1500m doesn't seem that out of whack, but I really felt, with hindsight, that I under performed with that one. A sub-5 minute mile is definitely the goal now...

Be interested to see how other people's WAVAs differ over distances.

Well I'm nearly like yourself and have a higher AG all the way down to 800m but below that distance it gets lower again. Unable to get a good sprinting speed like you have.

Not sure about the table as my only chance, albeit a very very slim chance, against GNT is for an all out 1500m effort at some point in the future.

Great racing by you whatever we decide with the AG!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
[MENTION=566]Bad Ash[/MENTION] I forgot to ask what shoes you wore on the track?
I found spikes OK but my Nike Zoom Pegasus seemed to sponge flat on the bouncy track surface. I've never worn my Vaporfly at Withdean. What did you wear? [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] ?

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
[MENTION=566]Bad Ash[/MENTION] I forgot to ask what shoes you wore on the track?
I found spikes OK but my Nike Zoom Pegasus seemed to sponge flat on the bouncy track surface. I've never worn my Vaporfly at Withdean. What did you wear? [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] ?

Don't think you can wear road supershoes for track races as the height regulations are different

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports