Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
[MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and I dragged ourselves around Bevendean this morning, the Gaffer having already run just under 7 miles to get there. :bowdown:

Because of his lengthy warm up, he allowed me to romp home to glory - 2 minutes clear of the second place 9 (NINE) year old who bullied a couple of gents in the final straight to get home for silver. I felt pretty confident I'd be in good standing but I'm a little disappointed not to dip under 20 minutes, 20:07 is the gun time. I don't think I could have found too much more but I cruised around the course for a final lap really comfortably so I probably could have run sub-20, but nevermind. I'm looking forward to going back after the marathon is out of the way and having a real go at getting a sub-19 on that course.

[MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] and [MENTION=18282]Left Back[/MENTION] also ran Lancing with [MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION], so it was THE place to be this morning!

Brilliant run by you this morning and I can only imagine that the Gaffer is also approaching top form. I did say hi to [MENTION=18282]Left Back[/MENTION] as he chased me across the line but I'm afraid I wouldn't recognise the Badger - although I did see a 4 legged woodland creature with a white stripe on the course. Could that have been him by any chance?

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Brilliant run by you this morning and I can only imagine that the Gaffer is also approaching top form. I did say hi to [MENTION=18282]Left Back[/MENTION] as he chased me across the line but I'm afraid I wouldn't recognise the Badger - although I did see a 4 legged woodland creature with a white stripe on the course. Could that have been him by any chance?

The Gaffer has had 2 weeks rest and recuperation. Having failed the old gits colon c-word blood test I had to have a colonoscopy. 2 foot of camera was inserted up my ar*e and 5 polyps were cut out.Good outcome as 98+% chance that's all done and dusted. Whilst there I had a camera shoved down my throat to my stomach and all is excellent in there. So good news all round, apart from the grape they gave me..

As we all know 2 weeks off means easing back in slowly, so today I did my longest run of the year at 15 miles incorporating the courses of 5 Parkruns and doing Bevendean Parkrun in the middle. Up and down the valleys of Brighton. Time was not an issue and I'll blow the 26:34 to smithereens (Ninja speak) at the Arena run there in 3 weeks. Must say that Bevendean is one of the best Parkruns out there and good to know the winner.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
The Gaffer has had 2 weeks rest and recuperation. Having failed the old gits colon c-word blood test I had to have a colonoscopy. 2 foot of camera was inserted up my ar*e and 5 polyps were cut out.Good outcome as 98+% chance that's all done and dusted. Whilst there I had a camera shoved down my throat to my stomach and all is excellent in there. So good news all round, apart from the grape they gave me..

As we all know 2 weeks off means easing back in slowly, so today I did my longest run of the year at 15 miles incorporating the courses of 5 Parkruns and doing Bevendean Parkrun in the middle. Up and down the valleys of Brighton. Time was not an issue and I'll blow the 26:34 to smithereens (Ninja speak) at the Arena run there in 3 weeks. Must say that Bevendean is one of the best Parkruns out there and good to know the winner.

Cripes - that doesn't sound like much fun. Sounds like things moved quickly once the problem was found. I had a similar scare but differently located (face) late last year. The only bonus was that it left me with a scar that might have suggested I wasn't a bloke to be messed around with.

Talking of things moving quickly, all eyes (well mine anyway) will be on you in 3 weeks time. I'm not giving up on 2020, but I think I'll need to be in the late 70s AG% to lay a glove on you. It's funny that in my new category, while there are some really good runners out there, on any given week there aren't that many in action. So for the 3rd time 'running', my rather modest time rated quite well across the 20 Sussex events. (Of course it helped that most of them were cancelled!) But the NSC table is a different matter altogether; I'm about 2 minutes slower than I was this time last year, but somehow it seems to matter a bit less when you are awaiting the outcome of a biopsy!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Cripes - that doesn't sound like much fun. Sounds like things moved quickly once the problem was found. I had a similar scare but differently located (face) late last year. The only bonus was that it left me with a scar that might have suggested I wasn't a bloke to be messed around with.

Talking of things moving quickly, all eyes (well mine anyway) will be on you in 3 weeks time. I'm not giving up on 2020, but I think I'll need to be in the late 70s AG% to lay a glove on you. It's funny that in my new category, while there are some really good runners out there, on any given week there aren't that many in action. So for the 3rd time 'running', my rather modest time rated quite well across the 20 Sussex events. (Of course it helped that most of them were cancelled!) But the NSC table is a different matter altogether; I'm about 2 minutes slower than I was this time last year, but somehow it seems to matter a bit less when you are awaiting the outcome of a biopsy!

I won't do too well time wise in 3 weeks as it's Bevendean. So I'll train on the hills and get on with the marathon training. So my 60.35% today will go in the table.
Any dry and windless Saturdays forecast and I'll squeeze in a visit to Worthing to 'open my legs and show my class' to get in Ron Pickering's classic Colemanball.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Safe to say you beat us all hands down for the run of the weekend with your 15 miles today Gaffer! :bowdown: :thumbsup:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

If there’s any doubt get it checked is the message. Glad you are ok.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Eek. I'm glad I wasn't eating lunch when I read this! Glad to hear all is fine after the MOT though.

I dragged myself out of bed at 5:15 this morning, so I could fuel before heading out for my long run at 7:15. It was a tad chilly when I headed, around -8C but more like -15C at the points where I was running into the wind (unfortunately I started in that direction). It was a really enjoyable run once I warmed up though. It's the first time I've hit the magic 30k in this training cycle. I always forget just how much you start to feel it in your legs when you get up to that distance. I met up with a running group for the last 10k (hence the early start) which always helps. The post run brunch was a winner too :thumbsup:

It's a long weekend here. My beer running club always does a run to a beer festival on holiday Mondays, hence doing my long run today and having a rest day tomorrow. There is a definite satisfaction when you get your long run completed by 10am on Saturday.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm looking forward to a nice long run tomorrow evening, probably kicking off about 8pm. :lolol:

After last week's washout with the cancellation of the Worthing Half, I've had two fairly casual weeks as a bit of a recovery in the middle of the training plan. Monday will mark the resumption of the plan with a ramp up in miles and quality of sessions. I'm going to be throwing in a couple of longer midweek runs as well as the sunday epics. I'm feeling pretty good although quite lethargic tonight after an hour long Wattbike session earlier today which was tough. Slow RPM at high resistance to really let my quads know they're in the game.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester

Glad everything appears ok although I hope they used a different camera for the camera down the throat!

All joking aside it's so important to get these things checked. My dad had the same failed test and was quickly diagnosed with Bowel Cancer but because of the early detection he was able to have his tumour removed without any other complications and avoided chemo as they removed the whole thing intact and scans showed not spread anywhere else. It will be 2 years all clear in April and I am raising money for Bowel Cancer UK at Brighton Marathon this year.

Amazing running form from you all this weekend. I struggled round 6 miles today in the wind after going out last night until 2am and waking up at 7am as I often do when I've been out on the lash. Planning approx 12 miles tomorrow but will likely be pretty rough going if the forecast wind and rain follows through

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Glad everything appears ok although I hope they used a different camera for the camera down the throat!

All joking aside it's so important to get these things checked. My dad had the same failed test and was quickly diagnosed with Bowel Cancer but because of the early detection he was able to have his tumour removed without any other complications and avoided chemo as they removed the whole thing intact and scans showed not spread anywhere else. It will be 2 years all clear in April and I am raising money for Bowel Cancer UK at Brighton Marathon this year.

Ha ha. Same camera but followed the body wash with a wet wipe strategy. Not really!
NHS does checks at 60 but 55 is coming in. An initial simple blood test worth demanding at 55 for you not so young gazelles. The ensuing colonoscopy was done without sedation so no great pain and you get to watch it on the screen. Then you have 3-5 year check ups. NHS at it's best. Add a sponsor link and I'll put in.

Just dealing with a slight sore tendon after yesterday's ill advised slog but think I'll sort it today with roller, stretching and the stretchy band.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Eek. I'm glad I wasn't eating lunch when I read this! Glad to hear all is fine after the MOT though.

I dragged myself out of bed at 5:15 this morning, so I could fuel before heading out for my long run at 7:15. It was a tad chilly when I headed, around -8C but more like -15C at the points where I was running into the wind (unfortunately I started in that direction). It was a really enjoyable run once I warmed up though. It's the first time I've hit the magic 30k in this training cycle. I always forget just how much you start to feel it in your legs when you get up to that distance. I met up with a running group for the last 10k (hence the early start) which always helps. The post run brunch was a winner too :thumbsup:

It's a long weekend here. My beer running club always does a run to a beer festival on holiday Mondays, hence doing my long run today and having a rest day tomorrow. There is a definite satisfaction when you get your long run completed by 10am on Saturday.

I'm in complete agreement around the long run done and dusted by Saturday AM. Feels great to know you can kick back and relax for the remainder of the weekend. Especially when you wake up and the weather is dreadful outside.

Winds don't look great for next Sunday as it stands. A stiff 18 MPH Westerly is going to make quick times all the harder. A nice push for the final 5k but you still need to have run the preceding 18k at a reasonable pace in what will be tough conditions.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Some great long marathon training runs this weekend and [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] slipped in a 5K PB. I'll add my run as I like to start slowly at the back.
If [MENTION=18282]Left Back[/MENTION] or [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] are coming back on board let me know.

NAME 5K SB 5K PB SB AG 10K 10M HM M
Artie Fufkin 17:30 16:55 72.97% 35:47 1:17:00 2:44:37
Ninja Elephant 17:49 17:49 72.63% 37:33 1:07:57 1:27:43 3:10:49
Big Nuts 18:36 18:25 73.39% 38:10 1:05:38 1:27:42 3:15:59
Fitzcarraldo 19:33 19:33 66.07%
Mr Banana 19:48 19:28 66.58%
Bad Ash20:2819:40 66.21%43:27 1:35:003:43:03
P's Harmonica 20:54 20:10 71.69% 43:03 1:33:56 3:27:19
Simgull 21:35 20:21 70.04%42:45 1:11:46 1:38:14 3:44:28
Guinness Boy 22:3522:04 64.28% 46:50 01:21:06 1:49:06 4:00:06
Mr Blobby23:0523:0564.40% 48:54 1:20:05 1:47:44 4:13:22
GNT 23:30 20:20 71.35% 40:31 1:19:12 1:31:18 4:19:55
Soistes 23:39 21:51 70.26% 46:14 1:43:12 3:51:33
Notters 24:18 24:18 54.61%%
chaileyjem25:1125:1160.03% 1:43:42
Knocky 26:3417:45 60.35% 39:52 1:34:00 3:50:49
Badger 18:05 % 38:04 1:22:572:56:33
Blue&WhiteSea 17:05 % 36:53 1:00:09 1:22:39
Curious Orange [/td]
[td]18:36
% 37:59 1:24:23.9 3:29:23
St Leonard's 19.44% 1:34:35
Biffy Boy 19.55%41:31 1:33:17 3:18:39
Dazzer 19.57 % 1:36 3:43:
jimmygull20:5049:19 4:04:32
Ben Eltons Bro21:12%44:48 1:39:26 3:33:28
seagull-si21.29% 1:43:42
CompleteBadger 19:37% 41:25 1:17:11 1:30:58 3:29:52
lostinlondon 22:00 % 44.13
Greg Bobkin 20:54 % 42: 1:13: 1:39:00 3:57:37
Nathan22:36%46:58 1:47:20 4:06:25
sjamesb346622:58%47:141:21:12 1:48:49
Bob! 22:41 % 45.391:16:42 1:44:21 3:53:35
HerrTubthumper19:03 1:36:10 3:05:34
JoePrecious 19:44 46:19 1:24:08 1:38:13 4:04:30
Jonny Rainbow41:43 1:12:40 3:24:38
Shippers 1:43:42

tr]
[td]Anchorman [/td]
[td]22:31 [/td]
[td]21:34 [/td]
[td]71.21% [/td]
[td]46.25 [/td]
[td] [/td]
[td]1:41:38 [/td]
[td] 3:55:00 [/td]
[/tr]

[

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Hey guys, am having one big problem with this running malarkey - getting too hot? Any tips? I'm out in icy weather in shorts and t-shirt and after 1km I'm swelting. I keep running past people in leggings, wooly hats, gloves etc. Am I doing something wrong?! It's the main reason I don't really run in the summer and tend to stick to cycling then.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hey guys, am having one big problem with this running malarkey - getting too hot? Any tips? I'm out in icy weather in shorts and t-shirt and after 1km I'm swelting. I keep running past people in leggings, wooly hats, gloves etc. Am I doing something wrong?! It's the main reason I don't really run in the summer and tend to stick to cycling then.

I’m the same, you have to go with the flow.🥵😁

In summer it’s cooling and in winter I don’t have to worry if it’s raining. I just make sure I have something warm and dry if hanging around outside afterwards.

Remember to rehydrate afterwards.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’m the same, you have to go with the flow.[emoji3062][emoji16]

In summer it’s cooling and in winter I don’t have to worry if it’s raining. I just make sure I have something warm and dry if hanging around outside afterwards.

Remember to rehydrate afterwards.

Yep, same here. Two layers this morning, was too many.......

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Amazing running form from you all this weekend. I struggled round 6 miles today in the wind after going out last night until 2am and waking up at 7am as I often do when I've been out on the lash. Planning approx 12 miles tomorrow but will likely be pretty rough going if the forecast wind and rain follows through

Make sure you post the fundraising link before the marathon, a cause I'll happily support. :thumbsup:

I had this problem to start with, but I'm fine now. I was out in a shirt and shorts tonight, no baselayers needed because my body has become far better at regulating my temperature. When I first started I was sweating immediately, then I had a spell where I was freezing without baselayers. Now I don't really need any baselayers and I don't tend to sweat. I can't really help - other than to say that it'll get better with time in my experience. :thumbsup:

That being said, I do have some baselayer tops so I'll wear them from to time when I really don't fancy the cold or I'm a bit under the weather generally.

Final run of my mid-training interval today, it's been 2 weeks instead of 1 due to the cancellation of the Worthing Half last weekend. I'm looking forward to the Lydd 20 miler in a few weeks with [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and probably a Half Marathon PB attempt at Hastings in March. I'm not intending to do the Brighton Half on sunday but if I can find myself an opening this week, I'll take it.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Just been reading the news coming out of Japan this morning that the Tokyo Marathon has cancelled the mass participation race over coronavirus concerns. The elite races are still going ahead though. It's on March 1st. Gutted for those that were heading out for it. I know a couple of guys that were going including one that was running Tokyo to complete the 6 majors (London, Tokyo, New York, Boston, Chicago, Berlin) and become a Major Marathons Six Star Finisher.

There seems to be some concern the Tokyo 2020 Olympics in July might be in trouble. There's not a huge amount of time for things to improve.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here