Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Does anyone else have a Garmin Forerunner? Apparently you can link up with others online and keep each other going with times etc.

I have set up a group called NSC Strollers, anyone can join, and my name is The_Baron

Might be worth setting up a Strava group too? That way it's not limited to one manufacturer, almost anyone with a smartphone can upload their runs.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Does anyone else have a Garmin Forerunner? Apparently you can link up with others online and keep each other going with times etc.

I have set up a group called NSC Strollers, anyone can join, and my name is The_Baron

Ooh, interesting. My missis bought me a 220 for Christmas, and whilst I use it to track every run for pace and distance, I have only ever plugged it in to my PC once. Something like this should help me get the most out if its capabilities.

How do other people find the accuracy of their Garmins? I have used mine on a number of runs that I know the exact distance of and reckon that it under estimates the distance by about 2% on a clear day and up to 3-4% on a cloudy day.

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
Ooh, interesting. My missis bought me a 220 for Christmas, and whilst I use it to track every run for pace and distance, I have only ever plugged it in to my PC once. Something like this should help me get the most out if its capabilities.

How do other people find the accuracy of their Garmins? I have used mine on a number of runs that I know the exact distance of and reckon that it under estimates the distance by about 2% on a clear day and up to 3-4% on a cloudy day.

I've found the distance can be slightly off, but compared device to device they're pretty much exactly the same. I've ran with 2 friends long distance, both with garmin watches and they've beeped at the same time every mile

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Over 4 years mine has been fully accurate. have you checked it has found all satellites before setting off?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Over 4 years mine has been fully accurate. have you checked it has found all satellites before setting off?

I usually give it 5 mins or so in the open air before setting it to go. Mine is definitely out by about 1-2% on measured routes, which doesn't sound like much, but it is the difference between running 6 min/mile and 6.07, so significant if you're trying to gauge training effort and race pace.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I usually give it 5 mins or so in the open air before setting it to go. Mine is definitely out by about 1-2% on measured routes, which doesn't sound like much, but it is the difference between running 6 min/mile and 6.07, so significant if you're trying to gauge training effort and race pace.

I agree that is an important difference. I would ask for a replacement.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

I've updated Connect to the 'modern' version, have tried to find you, no joy yet but still finding my way around!

I am Bob! on there as well

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath

Have you updated the firmware recently on your watch? Was a new update only a few days ago.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I've updated Connect to the 'modern' version, have tried to find you, no joy yet but still finding my way around!

I am Bob! on there as well

There's an awful lot of people called Bob, cant' find one with an ! after his name though.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Does anyone have square NSC logo we could use for the group? Needs to be bigger than 124x124 in size.
[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION], can you use your mod powers to add Garmin and Strava group details to the first post (not sure how I mention a user with a space in their username)?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Have you updated the firmware recently on your watch? Was a new update only a few days ago.

I did this and it has made a difference. It now finds the satellites much quicker and I'd estimate that accuracy has improved to around 0.5% - thanks for the advice!

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Hello runners - first post on this thread.

Potted history - didn't run anywhere til the age of 48 (approx 18 months ago), got a 'couch to 5k app' and after getting through that I started running about 3-4 times a week, about 4 miles a time. Got an injury over a year ago (left hip, stepped on a broken drain cover, foot went down, twisted whole hip, excruciating). Taken the NHS over a year to not yet even get me back running, diagnosed all manner of bursa and tendinopathy injuries, had MRI, ultrasound, ultrasound-guided and blind cortisone injections and still, my left hip tears me apart if I walk more than a mile. I'm told that the only problem I have left is a trochanteric bursitis, for which I'm having physio and have been told to expect at least three months before I can run again (starting back on the 'couch to 5k app' I guess).

I'm doing all my exercises and icing every day... but I feel like I'm getting nowhere.

I was just wondering if anyone out there has any helpful tips or rehab hints that might assist me in seeing some hope, let alone imagining getting back to running again.

Thanks for your time.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Finally got my act together and started running. It's killing me! My runs are more like 'jog for thirty seconds, feel like I'm going to pass out, stop, rest, jog for another thirty seconds'. Useless! I did manage the marina and back from the Wheel on Sunday morning though. Quite pleased with that.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Finally got my act together and started running. It's killing me! My runs are more like 'jog for thirty seconds, feel like I'm going to pass out, stop, rest, jog for another thirty seconds'. Useless! I did manage the marina and back from the Wheel on Sunday morning though. Quite pleased with that.

First few runs will be the hardest; it gets easier as long as you keep a regular routine of 2-3 runs a week. Persevere!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here