Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Where will you photos be shown?

They'll all go up on the Sussex Sports Photography gallery a couple of days after the event. However, if you're an actual participant I think you can register with Pic2Go and they'll be pinged straight to your social media within a few hours.

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
Was that at the National Cross Country Championships? If anybody is running that this year (21st February in Nottingham) then I'll be there photographing it along with the fine team at Sussex Sports Photography.

I'll be there, one of the highlights of the year for me and Nottingham is one of my favourite venues

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
I received an email today advertising the Bedgebury Forest 10 mile run.

https://www.nice-work.org.uk/races/Bedgebury-10M

It's a lovely run and great prep for Half Marathon season.

I remember us talking about this last year but not doing it. One of the best local ( for me) park runs and I think the course is part of that route. I’m in and signed up. I’ll meet you and Knocky there.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I am also entered - can't miss out on an NSC 10 mile outing. :thumbsup: I'll definitely put my hand up and ask for a lift though please, my car goes in for her MOT this month and I suspect there's going to be some work required on her underbelly. I'm a bit worried about how much she's going to set me back. :down:

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
If you think £65 is expensive for a marathon I'd suggest you don't consider entering one in North America!

If you're going for a sub 3, I'd definitely recommend trying it before you cycle to Norwich. You really need that recovery time in the last 2/3 weeks before the marathon.

Definitely worth booking Marathons early, I did Manchester as soon as they were on sale and paid £45. I did the same with Brighton by signing up at the Expo the day before the 2019 event!
I have entered the ballot for New York and if successful the entry fee is $350 - ouch!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I am also entered - can't miss out on an NSC 10 mile outing. :thumbsup: I'll definitely put my hand up and ask for a lift though please, my car goes in for her MOT this month and I suspect there's going to be some work required on her underbelly. I'm a bit worried about how much she's going to set me back. :down:

I’m happy to be the coach driver for the outing. You’ll all have to wait a while for me to finish, unless The Wire becomes a beerfest for [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]. 🏃🏿*♂️🍺🍻🏃🏿*♂️

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks to [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] for the invite to join the Toronto Ratrunners this evening for a trot around the city........got lucky with perfect running conditions tonight. Great to meet up.......and so much better than another bloody hotel treadmill session [emoji3]

Separately, article from the DT today makes interesting reading.....

HEALTH

First marathon can take four years off your ageing clock

Taking up running can reduce artery stiffness and blood pressure cutting risk of heart attacks and strokes
By Laura Donnelly, Health Editor

RUNNING a marathon for the first time can reverse key markers of ageing by four years, a British study has found.
The research on novice runners who tackled the London Marathon found they experienced a significant reduction in artery stiffness and blood pressure, cutting their chance of heart attacks and strokes.

Scientists said the changes were equivalent to a four-year reduction in vascular age. The greatest benefits were seen among those who were older, male and slower runners.
Researchers from University College London and Barts Health NHS Trust tracked 138 healthy people who ran the London Marathon for the first time in 2016 or 2017.

Participants had been running for less than two hours a week before they began training, mostly following a beginner’s plan consisting of around three runs a week.
After six months of training, scans found major improvements in their blood pressure and arterial stiffness.
On average, systolic and diastolic blood pressure dropped by 4mmHg and 3mmHg respectively.

Stiffness of the arteries indicates damage to the blood vessels, and is a key predictor of heart and circulatory problems in later life. Arteries normally stiffen with age, but experts said exercise could reverse or limit the damage.
Among participants, some measures of arterial flexibility increased by nine per cent. The study, published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, only included healthy participants. Experts said more benefit might be seen in those with higher blood pressure and stiffer arteries.

Dr Charlotte Manisty, the lead researcher, said: “Our study shows it is possible to reverse the consequences of ageing on our blood vessels with real-world exercise in just six months.

“These benefits were observed in overall healthy individuals across a broad age range, and their marathon times are suggestive of achievable exercise training in novice participants.” The average running time for those in the group was 5.4 hours for women and 4.5 hours for men.
Dr Manisty said signing up for a major health challenge could be a good way to make significant health changes.
“Making a goal-oriented exercise training recommendation – such as signing up for a marathon or fun-run – may be a good motivator for our patients to keep active,” she said. “Our study highlights the importance of lifestyle modifications to slow the risks associated with ageing, especially as it appears to never be too late as evidenced by our older, slower runners.” NHS guidance says all adults should get 150 minutes of exercise each week – such as a 30-minute brisk walk, five times a week.
Commenting on the British Heart Foundation-funded study, Professor Metin Avkiran, its associate medical director, said: “Keeping active reduces your risk of having a heart attack or stroke and cuts your chances of an early death. Setting yourself a goal, such as training for a marathon, is a great way to stay motivated.

“But you don’t need to train for a marathon to reap the benefits. More is usually better, but every bit counts.”

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Mrs FP didn't get to the Park Run on Saturday as we had a family thing arranged last minute with my niece, but she managed a few km in the afternoon. Shes also joined Runpals, and is meeting up with them tonight to do a run along the under-cliff at Saltdean.
I managed about half a mile on Saturday before my back gave up - but it was great to see her not only jogging, but jogging with a smile.....& saying afterwards that she really enjoyed it :smile:

Last edited:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Thanks to [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] for the invite to join the Toronto Ratrunners this evening for a trot around the city........got lucky with perfect running conditions tonight. Great to meet up.......and so much better than another bloody hotel treadmill session [emoji3]

You're most welcome and I'm glad you enjoyed it, it's a very friendly club. We couldn't have asked for a more perfect evening for January in Toronto. It was great to put a face to an NSC username too!

I was actually reading the BBC version of that article about the benefits of training for a marathon yesterday. It's good to know there's long term benefits to our madness! I would be curious to know the comparisons between my body now and before I got into running. I'm sure my heart is a lot stronger and my resting heart rate is lower than it was. I also feel like I have more lung capacity than I used to.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Marathon training started in earnest for me today with 4x800m with 2 minute rests. Felt alright, despite being a little wheezy with a head cold. Probably won't be parkrunning for a few months as Sundays are blocked out for long runs and I don't run on consecutive days.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You're most welcome and I'm glad you enjoyed it, it's a very friendly club. We couldn't have asked for a more perfect evening for January in Toronto. It was great to put a face to an NSC username too!

I was actually reading the BBC version of that article about the benefits of training for a marathon yesterday. It's good to know there's long term benefits to our madness! I would be curious to know the comparisons between my body now and before I got into running. I'm sure my heart is a lot stronger and my resting heart rate is lower than it was. I also feel like I have more lung capacity than I used to.

I'm sure we could all slap ourselves on our backs in self congratulation.

I can quantify one medical change; my shoe size has got a size bigger in the last 8 years. I started running higher annual mileage for my first marathon 8 years ago and have run one (usually with a bit of walking) every year since. Coincidence?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I have no question I'm in better general health as a result of getting into running, whether it has taken years off the age of my arteries I don't know - but I don't need any science or study to tell me I'm in better shape.

A nice 8 mile loop for me at lunch time, I'm looking forward to seeing the map when I sync my watch later. A nice travel around Bevendean and then up Bear Road from Eastbourne Road and then over to Wilson Avenue and back down again and along Eastern Road. I was essentially involved in a race with a bus, we both got on the road at the same time and reached the traffic lights at the junction with Upper Rock Gardens at the same time. I called it a draw and I was quite happy with that, it helped that the bus had to stop at every stop - but even so. That's a good 1.5 miles or so.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I'm sure we could all slap ourselves on our backs in self congratulation.

I can quantify one medical change; my shoe size has got a size bigger in the last 8 years. I started running higher annual mileage for my first marathon 8 years ago and have run one (usually with a bit of walking) every year since. Coincidence?

Do you swim faster now you have built in flippers?

:thumbsup:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Decided to compare my 5Ks to marathons as a 50-60 year old over the last decade.
My 19:33 at the start was almost the same AG% as my 21:14 at the end this last Xmas day.
My 5K SBs got better and fairly consistent since chasing you lot. [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] made me his marathon bunny and I am not performing at this distance. Not too worried and will be happy around 4 this year and happy to make it 4 losses in a row.
The year ahead looks hopeful with a 5K 5 year PB looking within reach.

Year 5K SB Brightn Marathon
2009 19:33 n/a
2010 20:59 n/a
2011 21:07 n/a
2012 21:22 DNS
2013 20:58 4:08:47 (month injured all March)
2014 20:52 3:50:26
2015 20:23 3:57:36
2016 20:54 4:00:09
2017 21:31 4:07:10 (Rheumatoid Flare up year)
2018 20:57 4:15:00
2019 21:14 4:40:00

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here