Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I was doing 5 to 6 mile Lancing Manor Cross Country this Saturday 2:30 but Sussex County League switched it today to Stanmer Park due to conditions. Looking forward to running where I came 35th as an 11 year old running in The County U-15 race in 1971. £5 entry but affiliated runners only I believe. I'll be happy if I don't finish last!

I was 81st in the Under 11s in 1982, also at Stanmer Park. Another race you've beaten me in :thumbsup:

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I've had a look at the course, it should be very comfortable to pace the 2:20 consistently, my concern with pacing is always about the course - you don't want to get caught out by an unexpected hill! I don't think it'll be a problem for you on saturday with the promenade course they run. I wouldn't do the parkrun first though, personally - I would be worried about hitting the wall in the event itself. I wouldn't think twice about not doing the parkrun / Half Marathon double if I wasn't worried about my performance, but when you're pacing you've got that bit of responsibility and I'd be reluctant to take the risk.

What does the LIRF course entail? I'm sure you're already something of a leader through the example you set!

I am going to be sensible (for once) and not do the PR in the morning. This is a link to the LIRF course, its a bit expensive IMHO but as the running club will cover the cost happy to do it (£140)
https://www.englandathletics.org/coaching/qualifications-landing-page/leadership-in-running-fitness/

What is it?
The Leadership in Running Fitness (LiRF) course is designed to prepare you to provide a safe and enjoyable running experience for young people over 12 years of age and adults of any ability, size or shape.
This qualification will provide you with insurance to lead a group within the limits of the course content. Leadership in Running Fitness is a prerequisite course for the Coach in Running Fitness qualification.
Candidates must engage in tasks and activities throughout the course and demonstrate improvement in engagement following any discussions with course staff. Candidates not engaging within all aspects of the course are at risk of not gaining the qualification at the end of the process.
Our coaching journey is supported by British Athletics’ coaching qualifications.
Format: 1 Day Course – Involving classroom and practical activity
What to Lead:
The principles of warm up and typical activities
Endurance running technique
How runners develop from movement skills to running and fitness specific
The principles of cool down
Best practice for stretching (when, how long after and for Range of Movement development)
How to Lead:
How to organise a group safely
The key principles of Instruction and Explanation delivered through warm up
Apply understanding of Demonstration
General Content:
The role of a Leader
The Athlete Development Model
Individual-centred approach to leading
The components and structure of a session (Warm up, Main Activity, Cool down)
Developmental and chronological age differences
Safety issues and the importance of risk assessment
The key components of fitness and Training principles
Introduction to the 3 energy systems
Goal setting using SMART goals
Recognising common running injuries
Identifying Running motivation and barriers
Next Steps – for England that includes the RunTogether programme
Practical Application:
Practice leading an active warm-up
Lead and monitor an activity with a small group using Organisation
Develop a session plan for an Endurance practical
Practice Instruction and Explanation, Safety, Organisation and Demonstration skills

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I am going to be sensible (for once) and not do the PR in the morning. This is a link to the LIRF course, its a bit expensive IMHO but as the running club will cover the cost happy to do it (£140)
https://www.englandathletics.org/coaching/qualifications-landing-page/leadership-in-running-fitness/

What is it?
The Leadership in Running Fitness (LiRF) course is designed to prepare you to provide a safe and enjoyable running experience for young people over 12 years of age and adults of any ability, size or shape.
This qualification will provide you with insurance to lead a group within the limits of the course content. Leadership in Running Fitness is a prerequisite course for the Coach in Running Fitness qualification.
Candidates must engage in tasks and activities throughout the course and demonstrate improvement in engagement following any discussions with course staff. Candidates not engaging within all aspects of the course are at risk of not gaining the qualification at the end of the process.
Our coaching journey is supported by British Athletics’ coaching qualifications.
Format: 1 Day Course – Involving classroom and practical activity
What to Lead:
The principles of warm up and typical activities
Endurance running technique
How runners develop from movement skills to running and fitness specific
The principles of cool down
Best practice for stretching (when, how long after and for Range of Movement development)
How to Lead:
How to organise a group safely
Apply understanding of Demonstration
General Content:
The role of a Leader
The Athlete Development Model
Individual-centred approach to leading
The components and structure of a session (Warm up, Main Activity, Cool down)
Developmental and chronological age differences
Safety issues and the importance of risk assessment
The key components of fitness and Training principles
Introduction to the 3 energy systems
Goal setting using SMART goals
Recognising common running injuries
Identifying Running motivation and barriers
Next Steps – for England that includes the RunTogether programme
Practical Application:
Practice leading an active warm-up
Lead and monitor an activity with a small group using Organisation
Develop a session plan for an Endurance practical
Practice Instruction and Explanation, Safety, Organisation and Demonstration skills

Looks like my resignation will be accepted once you’ve finished all that. The charlatan Gaffer can make way.

Haven’t they left out something? 🍺🍺🏃🏿*♂️🍻🍻

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Looks like I have a "parkrun pass" tomorrow. Looking at the weather forecast it's perfect prom weather. Hopefully all the stones are now shifted?

Using it as a baseline. Will be interesting to see if a couple of months of climbing and off road plodding have made me faster or slower.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Looks like I have a "parkrun pass" tomorrow. Looking at the weather forecast it's perfect prom weather. Hopefully all the stones are now shifted?

Using it as a baseline. Will be interesting to see if a couple of months of climbing and off road plodding have made me faster or slower.

The Prom Parkrunners had a sweep together Wednesday night working alongside [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] s Rogue Runners. They have done an incredible job on a 3/4 mile long stretch of Prom. At the moment they have altered the course with curving paths through the stones and think they may have made it a 5.15K liable to congestion. Their emphasis is on fun whatever that means��

Be missing it as Stanmer in the wind and rain at 2:30. Shame as I’m Running around 22”. We could have had a competitive jog along together.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
The Prom Parkrunners had a sweep together Wednesday night working alongside [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] s Rogue Runners. They have done an incredible job on a 3/4 mile long stretch of Prom. At the moment they have altered the course with curving paths through the stones and think they may have made it a 5.15K liable to congestion. Their emphasis is on fun whatever that means��

Be missing it as Stanmer in the wind and rain at 2:30. Shame as I’m Running around 22”. We could have had a competitive jog along together.

Cheers matey - yes a shame we couldn't have a "jog off" :lolol:

I might head up to Hove Park in that case. I'm really looking to baseline my speed for the next section of BM training and have no idea when the Mrs will next let me out on a Sat morning :lol:

Will definitely be the Park if any other familiar faces are around. [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] ? [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] ?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I might head up to Hove Park in that case. I'm really looking to baseline my speed for the next section of BM training and have no idea when the Mrs will next let me out on a Sat morning :lol:

Will definitely be the Park if any other familiar faces are around. [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] ? [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] ?

Wise move many a pebble waiting to twist an ankle. After Beachy Head a Hove Park PB must be there for the taking. Good luck.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Doubtful, but there's an outside chance I'll be free. If I am, I'll be over to HP quicker than you can say "VEGAN RUNNERS!" :lol:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Yes - great effort on Wednesday night - about 40 of us sweeping the prom to make it runnable. We then held our regular Wednesday night session there so I can confirm it’s fine for running.

It’s a Rogue’s takeover on Saturday - there will be pacers every minute from 19-30 mins -
I’m pacing 23mins.
Weather looks good so come down to the Prom!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Yes - great effort on Wednesday night - about 40 of us sweeping the prom to make it runnable. We then held our regular Wednesday night session there so I can confirm it’s fine for running.

It’s a Rogue’s takeover on Saturday - there will be pacers every minute from 19-30 mins -
I’m pacing 23mins.
Weather looks good so come down to the Prom!

And back to the prom. I'm changing my mind more than a Doris in a hat shop :lolol:

The pacing has swung it however. I will stick with you at the start and then see how much I can push on in the home straight. My SB is around 22.30 something, PB is 22.04. Beating you by a few yards would be a great benchmark for a winter of running.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Oh - was the prom sweeping on a site or FB page or just organised by Rogues? Happy to help next time if not travelling for work.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Congratulations to all world beaters at the Prom today:

We know it was a very special morning on the Prom today - but what has been incredible is the fact that 274 of you appear to have broken the world record for a 5k which (was) 12:37

Obviously some gremlins in the tech files today which I'll have a go at correcting. We beat the stones, we beat the weather but you can't beat the tech. I'd just like to stress that this is a tech error with the data and in NO WAY is down to any of the volunteers.

So processing may take a little longer than normal - thanks for your patience. I'll update you all later and let you know where we're at. Inevitably some times may differ from your watches but we'll cross that bridge when we can (there is a cunning plan for that, but later)

Watch this space...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Congratulations to all world beaters at the Prom today:

We know it was a very special morning on the Prom today - but what has been incredible is the fact that 274 of you appear to have broken the world record for a 5k which (was) 12:37

Obviously some gremlins in the tech files today which I'll have a go at correcting. We beat the stones, we beat the weather but you can't beat the tech. I'd just like to stress that this is a tech error with the data and in NO WAY is down to any of the volunteers.

So processing may take a little longer than normal - thanks for your patience. I'll update you all later and let you know where we're at. Inevitably some times may differ from your watches but we'll cross that bridge when we can (there is a cunning plan for that, but later)

Watch this space...

Explains why I still haven't had the results :lolol:

I hope you'll take an unofficial Strava if it doesn't get sorted as, by my watch. I ran a 15 second SB at 22.22 (pleased with the fact that my time was both symmetrical and a pallendrome) thanks to great pacing by [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]

Plan was to hang on to his bib somehow and then turn the burners on after the last turn. Worked perfectly for a change and I appear to be in better shape than I've been since 2016. Coach thinks I should have a pop at my all time 5k PB of 22.04. For now a negative split SB has made me a very happy boy.

Good to see knocky yelling encouragement with a coffee in hand. Hope you don't get TOO wet later!

https://www.strava.com/activities/2851647429

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Results are out. 22.21 officially (I'll take that!) and 78th overall. Thanks again to [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] for accurate pacing and a decent chat before my breath went!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Results are out. 22.21 officially (I'll take that!) and 78th overall. Thanks again to [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] for accurate pacing and a decent chat before my breath went!

Good to see you and congratulations on the SB. My time is about six seconds out - the timer said to me 22:55 when I crossed the line - VAR required. Beautiful morning, glad I’m not doing much this afternoon!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Good work and good NSC pacing by [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]. That's good enough for a first place at Salento on certain days.

Enjoyed the Stanmer XC. Torrential rain, mud, puddles and rivers. Course like Hove Park Parkrun on steroids. Short lap then 2 long laps. Either uphill or down 742 foot up in total and the same down. Long climbs were hard after almost zilch hill work for a few months. Reached incredible speeds on the steep downhills in treacherous conditions but the speedcross did their job. 142nd but results will take a few days to be done. Highly recccomended.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2852828582

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here