Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
You think 9am is too late? :lol:

Is it down on the seafront? Depending on Jnr Challen's football match timings, I might time my run (a late one for me) to pass by when things are underway...

Good luck with the pre-match build-up both – and may the fastest man win :thumbsup:

One of the things I loved about it as a race is the late start time. :down: If they don't post out the race numbers, there's every chance I won't make it in time to get one and pin it on myself.

Get yourself to the 9k mark and pace whichever of us is leading the way. :thumbsup: To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if we pretty much run the whole thing together and it ends up being a 200 metre race!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
One of the things I loved about it as a race is the late start time. :down: If they don't post out the race numbers, there's every chance I won't make it in time to get one and pin it on myself.

Get yourself to the 9k mark and pace whichever of us is leading the way. :thumbsup: To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if we pretty much run the whole thing together and it ends up being a 200 metre race!

There's absolutely NO CHANCE of me keeping up with you or [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] for 1km, me already having run a fair few miles! I'll possibly watch from near the finish line and congratulate the victor!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
One of the perks of my work - I got to attend a discussion with young Bruno ( :blush: ) - he doesn't have a recorded 5k time but he doesn't believe that he would be among the quickest. He believes Pascal Gross would be quickest, Gross was his immediate pick - but he has no idea in what sort of time. In terms of the other end of the scale - he thinks Duffy and Burn would be at the back, "these boys are 2 metres and 90 kilos - it takes a lot to move these boys".

In general - he was inconsolable in the dressing room after the Sheffield Wednesday play-off second leg and the players were really sombre until being spoken to in the dressing room by both Paul Barber and Tony Bloom. He said that he always acted like a captain before being given the armband because of the age gap between him and the players, he felt that responsibility. He doesn't really feel like his role has changed too much from last season to this one because of the relationship he has with the players - but he's enjoying not having to be so careful with his diet and preparation every day. He's such a beautiful man!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Drove out and beyond the Iron Curtain today. Find it a bit too hot in the afternoon in Greece. With the race of the century to happen between [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] considering getting home a week early to watch the fun.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
It's funny actually, I also thought about entering that! A mate of mine lives in Wellingborough, so I was going to stay up there on saturday night and run the race on the sunday. I didn't end up doing it though - and luckily not! Madness. :down:

Sunday of this week brings THE 10k showdown of the year - me vs [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] at the Arena 80ac 10k. 9am start time is NOT ideal, [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] needs to have a word with his mates about getting that fixed for next year! Madness. This week I will be focusing on nothing else. It's going to need a sub-38 time to nick the win between us for sure. :thumbsup:

You made the right call!

Looking forward to hearing the results from your showdown on Sunday! I'm hoping for my first sub 50 minute 10k this weekend however I'm up in Cumbria this week visiting my parents so not sure how much running I will get in which combined with a pretty low milage two weeks prior to this week may leave me a bit short come race day xxx

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Looking forward to hearing the results from your showdown on Sunday! I'm hoping for my first sub 50 minute 10k this weekend however I'm up in Cumbria this week visiting my parents so not sure how much running I will get in which combined with a pretty low milage two weeks prior to this week may leave me a bit short come race day xxx

Related to this, I've long thought it funny/interesting/bizarre the significance of 8 minute miles for us relatively novice runners. At most common distances, getting to 8 min/miles represents a landmark time.

8 minute miles gets you to a sub-25 minute 5km when you first start running and that speed feels impossible.
8 minute miles gets you to a sub-50 minute 10km.
8 minute miles gets you to a sub 1:45 half-marathon.
8 minute miles gets you to a sub 3:30 marathon.

For me, anything that starts with a 7 has always felt "fast". (I appreciate it's not the case to some of our out-and-out speed merchants.)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
One of the perks of my work - I got to attend a discussion with young Bruno ( :blush: ) - he doesn't have a recorded 5k time but he doesn't believe that he would be among the quickest. He believes Pascal Gross would be quickest, Gross was his immediate pick - but he has no idea in what sort of time. In terms of the other end of the scale - he thinks Duffy and Burn would be at the back, "these boys are 2 metres and 90 kilos - it takes a lot to move these boys".

In general - he was inconsolable in the dressing room after the Sheffield Wednesday play-off second leg and the players were really sombre until being spoken to in the dressing room by both Paul Barber and Tony Bloom. He said that he always acted like a captain before being given the armband because of the age gap between him and the players, he felt that responsibility. He doesn't really feel like his role has changed too much from last season to this one because of the relationship he has with the players - but he's enjoying not having to be so careful with his diet and preparation every day. He's such a beautiful man!

Lucky you – he's such a legend.

The 5k thing is interesting, especially him picking Groß. I'm guessing we see a lot of the boys covering short stretches very quickly, but that's clearly not sustainable. So maybe a bit of the old 'tortoise and the hare' thing – unless he was joking and/or I've been whooshed :lol:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
You made the right call!

Taking a step back in the milage probably isn't the worst thing in advance of the race. :thumbsup: Having a bit of a break beforehand isn't a bad idea, but I'd definitely want to get out for a few shorter runs to keep the legs moving. It wouldn't be a disaster going into it totally refreshed. Just try and stay off the booze this week. :thumbsup:

Lucky you – he's such a legend.

The 5k thing is interesting, especially him picking Groß. I'm guessing we see a lot of the boys covering short stretches very quickly, but that's clearly not sustainable. So maybe a bit of the old 'tortoise and the hare' thing – unless he was joking and/or I've been whooshed :lol:

He spoke incredibly well, it was mostly about diet and mentally but obviously football talk had to creep in at some point. He was saying that he's frequently a linesman for his 10 year old son's team, and he echoes what every footballer says - education about the game needs to start with the parents. He said that one guy came up to him when his son was 6 and said, "my son plays 3 times a week, is that enough to help him progress?". Bruno's response was shock, because 3 times it two too many - he said that his own son was playing once a week in a serious environment, the rest of the time is a kick about for fun and he doesn't coach him because he wants him to enjoy himself. Coaching comes later.

He was definitely serious about Gross - he went straight to saying Gross and didn't seem to have any doubt about it at all. He said to me afterwards that Gross is one of the few to actually enjoy the running sessions.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Related to this, I've long thought it funny/interesting/bizarre the significance of 8 minute miles for us relatively novice runners. At most common distances, getting to 8 min/miles represents a landmark time.

8 minute miles gets you to a sub-25 minute 5km when you first start running and that speed feels impossible.
8 minute miles gets you to a sub-50 minute 10km.
8 minute miles gets you to a sub 1:45 half-marathon.
8 minute miles gets you to a sub 3:30 marathon.

For me, anything that starts with a 7 has always felt "fast". (I appreciate it's not the case to some of our out-and-out speed merchants.)

Hadn't really thought about it but you are correct that this time in March, 8 minute miles were pretty impossible for me for more than 1-2 miles but now it seems very achievable over 6 miles. Still nothing on you high flyers but a pleasing improvement over the last 6-9 months and feel like I'm getting close to being of a respectable standard.

Finally, I didn't mean to put kisses at the end of that post, had just been texting the Mrs back (as she's got to work) and must have been on auto pilot! :kiss:

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Taking a step back in the milage probably isn't the worst thing in advance of the race. :thumbsup: Having a bit of a break beforehand isn't a bad idea, but I'd definitely want to get out for a few shorter runs to keep the legs moving. It wouldn't be a disaster going into it totally refreshed. Just try and stay off the booze this week. :thumbsup:

He spoke incredibly well, it was mostly about diet and mentally but obviously football talk had to creep in at some point. He was saying that he's frequently a linesman for his 10 year old son's team, and he echoes what every footballer says - education about the game needs to start with the parents. He said that one guy came up to him when his son was 6 and said, "my son plays 3 times a week, is that enough to help him progress?". Bruno's response was shock, because 3 times it two too many - he said that his own son was playing once a week in a serious environment, the rest of the time is a kick about for fun and he doesn't coach him because he wants him to enjoy himself. Coaching comes later.

He was definitely serious about Gross - he went straight to saying Gross and didn't seem to have any doubt about it at all. He said to me afterwards that Gross is one of the few to actually enjoy the running sessions.

Staying off the booze won't happen if staying with my family! It's just a case of damage limitation more than anything!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
What I would say as well is that I've only really found form in the last 2 or 3 months. Earlier this year I was running parkruns in 21/22 minutes and I really couldn't get going. Now I'm able to run sub-6 miles around parkruns. I still consider any mile starting with a 7 to be pretty quick on a run, apart from a pace session when I am trying to run 6odd. I'm going to do some mile repeats tomorrow at a high tempo, my speed sessions have been pretty rubbish throughout this training cycle. I've found running at pace during a session really difficult - but when raceday comes along, you're in a very different place mentally and it does make it easier to motivate yourself to get into a high gear early and really benefit from all the training milage.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Severe maranoia kicking in now. A horrible first run with a hydration vest yesterday that I foolishly ordered on line. Overfilled the bladder (it’s 2 litres) leading to carrying an extra 2kg of weight up the uphill start. Gels go in the back meaning you have to take it off to get them. Then basically had an all in wrestling match with it while stood in a muddy puddle to get it back on. Drinking hose is a PITA. Front strap is fiddly as ****.

Have I bought a dud or are they all that annoyingly useless? I could have murdered a nice equipment-free, flat seafront run in my roadshoes.

Body feels ready for the big day but mind is flipping between can’t do it and won’t do it. I currently never want to do another trail run again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You made the right call!

Finally, I didn't mean to put kisses at the end of that post, had just been texting the Mrs back (as she's got to work) and must have been on auto pilot! :kiss:

Such a shame it was raining at Leicester. 🥰

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Severe maranoia kicking in now. A horrible first run with a hydration vest yesterday that I foolishly ordered on line. Overfilled the bladder (it’s 2 litres) leading to carrying an extra 2kg of weight up the uphill start. Gels go in the back meaning you have to take it off to get them. Then basically had an all in wrestling match with it while stood in a muddy puddle to get it back on. Drinking hose is a PITA. Front strap is fiddly as ****.

Have I bought a dud or are they all that annoyingly useless? I could have murdered a nice equipment-free, flat seafront run in my roadshoes.

Body feels ready for the big day but mind is flipping between can’t do it and won’t do it. I currently never want to do another trail run again.

Just walk it and eat as much as possible like [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

What race is it ?

Bladders are a bit rubbish.....and why would you need 2L anyway ? That’s enough for at least 3-4 hours at this time of year......are there any aid stations on your planned race ? I used to use a camelbak but wouldn’t revert to a backpack bladder now - vests that have ‘bitty bottles’ (ie on the front) are much more comfortable and much easier to fill (and the water doesn’t warm up to body temperature almost immediately like it does in a bladder), plus pockets to the side for gels etc that you can access easily without taking it off. All that goes in the main backpack bit for me is spare clothing, foil blanket and any other stuff I’m less likely to need to use.

I’ve got a couple if you want to try one out......let me know.

Something like this is easily big enough for all the kit needed for a 100 miler. Bottles hold 500ml each.

https://www.salomon.com/en-gb/shop-...ggJEAQYASABEgK_-PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#848=10583

Just walk it and eat as much as possible like [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION]

....is of course the correct answer

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It's Beachy Head [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]! They feed and water you frequently - no need to worry about carrying too much on you for that one. :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What race is it ?

Bladders are a bit rubbish.....and why would you need 2L anyway ? That’s enough for at least 3-4 hours at this time of year......are there any aid stations on your planned race ? I used to use a camelbak but wouldn’t revert to a backpack bladder now - vests that have ‘bitty bottles’ (ie on the front) are much more comfortable and much easier to fill (and the water doesn’t warm up to body temperature almost immediately like it does in a bladder), plus pockets to the side for gels etc that you can access easily without taking it off. All that goes in the main backpack bit for me is spare clothing, foil blanket and any other stuff I’m less likely to need to use.

I’ve got a couple if you want to try one out......let me know.

Something like this is easily big enough for all the kit needed for a 100 miler. Bottles hold 500ml each.

https://www.salomon.com/en-gb/shop-...ggJEAQYASABEgK_-PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#848=10583

....is of course the correct answer

It’s Beachy Head - and Serpent Trail. I get the impression I can get away with a bum bag and bottle at BH. However, a 1 litre pack, distress whistle and light are minimum requirements on the Serpent according to the website

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s Beachy Head - and Serpent Trail. I get the impression I can get away with a bum bag and bottle at BH. However, a 1 litre pack, distress whistle and light are minimum requirements on the Serpent according to the website

Yeah Beachy is fine - carry a bottle but you won’t need much else. Plenty en route (usually mars bars, bananas, biscuits and then of course the infamous buns and sausage rolls, with tea, at Littlington [emoji14][emoji14])

Most packs (Salomon, UD etc) have whistles attached (I don’t know anyone who’s ever used one on a race). The two bottles on the front are 500ml each.

AITC

Aug 30, 2011
Firstly, thank you to North Stand Chat for letting us post in this thread.

Most of you will hopefully know a bit about the work we do at Albion in the Community. In the last year we worked with around 46,000 people and now run 60 different local projects across Sussex, mainly aimed at helping people of all ages get active, improve their health and wellbeing, and raising academic achievement and improving people's future prospects.

Much of what we do is only possible as a result of our supporters and the donations we receive, and fundraising is incredibly important to the charity.

We are very fortunate to benefit from Albion fans taking on challenges for us - particularly running ones.

We currently have charity places available for the BM10K, Brighton Half Marathon, and Brighton Marathon, and thought they may be of interest to some people on this thread.

If you would like to take up one of our places, you can do so on the links below.

BM10K - registration is free if you commit to raising £100.

Brighton Half Marathon - registration is £25 if you commit to raising £200.

Brighton Marathon - registration is £25 if you commit to raising £400.

Or, if you already have a place on a running event but would like to raise money for Albion in the Community, drop us a message.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here