Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
You don't need headphones to run, try getting some running shoes instead!

:smile:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
After signing up and optimistically suggesting I'd be in the 3:45-4:00 bracket I then looked up my VDOT score on http://www.runsmartproject.com/calculator/ which gave me 50.8

My longest run to date is around 11km. I can do a 5k in 19:40, but that is the absolute limit, I'm shattered afterwards. I tend to find I'm much better at short 'sprints' rather than endurance, and that also applies to cycling and swimming.

Putting this into the calculation suggests I could do a marathon in 3:08, which seems way out of my reach.

Has anyone else worked with these calculations before? How accurate have you found them?

3:08 is do-able if you can knock-off a half in 90 min or less.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Finally beat my best time at the PP park run and to come under 19 with 18.45 was very pleasing. Macmillan is by far the best calculator out there. But the level of training is so much more for the longer distances and the marathon is a totally different ball game. You either relish it or struggle.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Finally beat my best time at the PP park run and to come under 19 with 18.45 was very pleasing. Macmillan is by far the best calculator out there. But the level of training is so much more for the longer distances and the marathon is a totally different ball game. You either relish it or struggle.

How does the parkrun work? Do you all set off at the same time?

I just checked the results and it looked like 200+ people ran.....

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
How does the parkrun work? Do you all set off at the same time?

I just checked the results and it looked like 200+ people ran.....

Hove regularly gets in excess of 400 people. You all start together so if you are at the back then you need to subtract a little bit of time off.

It's a really good race and you do not have to pay anything either.

I would like to push my 5k and 10k times down through the summer. I've never been a quick runner and much better suited to longer runs but if I can get under 20 minutes for a 5k and 45 minutes for a 10k then I'll be satisfied with that.

First post Brighton Marathon run tomorrow.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
It is gun time no chips so the slower runners might have to add a few seconds

Or more accurately, those that don't start right at the front should take off a few seconds. Which should be the same as the slower runners if everyone positions themselves at the start according to their expected finish times...

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Hi all

I've read on this thread about a run from Brighton Pier to Worthing Pier and back, and think it was given as 22 miles?

Just checking, as I might give it a go when I'm up to that sort of distance :)

Cheers

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
Hi all

I've read on this thread about a run from Brighton Pier to Worthing Pier and back, and think it was given as 22 miles?

Cheers

That sounds about right.

I have an 18 miler to do tomorrow. I'll be setting off from Brooklands Park and running to Brighton Pier and back. It's about 2 miles extra (each way) to get to Worthing Pier.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hi all

Cheers

Have run it a few times. It's great psychologically when you look at Worthing Pier from Hove and know you have run there and back. I run over Shoreham footbridge, turn right and head for beach and Widewater Lagoon to avoid the A259. If you dont have a garmin you could always bike it with an odometer, if you need the exact distance.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
You can measure the distance of any route with the path feature on Google earth, and save multiple routes. Very nice feature.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Just heading off to Boston now for the what promises to be the race of my life. £850 in the bag already for AITC makes it very very worthwhile. Happy running to anyone heading out over the Easter Weekend.

Team NSC for the Brighton Marathon next year is looking very very strong!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just heading off to Boston now for the what promises to be the race of my life. £850 in the bag already for AITC makes it very very worthwhile. Happy running to anyone heading out over the Easter Weekend.

Team NSC for the Brighton Marathon next year is looking very very strong!!

Good luck!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here