Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
If it's the outside of the knee. It's the illibotial band. Try the stretch I put on a few pages back. Slowly. The seated pigeon.

yeah it is, will give it a go this evening...thanks mate! Getting nervous but only about the knees, if I start the run feeling great I think I will thrive on the feeling of not being injured!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good luck to all those running on Sunday.

As usual, my wife and I will be handing out Jelly Babies and cut up oranges.

Four of my son's friends are running in Telly Tubby costumes, hope it stays dry for them.

Once again, good luck.

Well done. Where can I gasp hello and get a gift jelly baby?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

As usual, my wife and I will be handing out Jelly Babies and cut up oranges.

Four of my son's friends are running in Telly Tubby costumes, hope it stays dry for them.

Once again, good luck.

Hate to tell you, but Met Office saying heavy showers all day Sunday!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Where have you and will you be swimming? I tend to get cramp in my calves quite a lot when swimming in the pool, and most people say this is from pushing off the walls. I've not had an issue in the open water, but then I probably swim further and harder in the pool. And like I said, that was my calves, not feet.

Apart from pushing off the walls more gently I've been advised to hydrate more and take on salts, both before and during the swimming (but that is length based swimming training where you regularly stop).

Swimming in the pool on Sunday and I was yesterday. I've had it in open water before, but yesterday it was worse when I had to stop at traffic lights and then start again. Not sure if it is to do with pushing off, as I wasn't putting a huge amount of effort in to be honest...

I tend to suffer from cramp after prolonged periods of exercise/playing football and the best thing I've found to help combat it is Zero High 5, which is tablet you dissolve in water. I tend to find half a tablet beforehand helps to prevent problems with cramp later on. The one thing you need to be wary of is that for some people it can act as a diuretic!

I've got some of them and use it as a drink, but never had the tablets on their own. I'll give that a go. Already building up salt intake.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Good luck to everyone running on Sunday.

I'm off to Paris tomorrow to do the marathon on Sunday. Training has been a bit haphazard, but I'm looking forward to it.

No fine Sussex ales to recover with though :)

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Good luck to everyone running on Sunday.

I'm off to Paris tomorrow to do the marathon on Sunday. Training has been a bit haphazard, but I'm looking forward to it.

No fine Sussex ales to recover with though :)

Good luck to all of you doing Brighton & Paris this weekend.

I'm doing SDW50 on Saturday, sub 12hrs would be good, expecting about 12hr 45.

If you want to practice giving out oranges & jelly babies I should be going through Ditchling Beacon just after 2pm!

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Good Luck to all for Sunday :)

I've managed 13.1 miles four times now, and am ploughing through Marathon Training for Dummies (they obv had me pinned LOL) an acquaintance gave me, so should be set for the full trip twelve months hence :thumbsup:

Good luck to all of you doing Brighton & Paris this weekend.

I'm doing SDW50 on Saturday, sub 12hrs would be good, expecting about 12hr 45.

If you want to practice giving out oranges & jelly babies I should be going through Ditchling Beacon just after 2pm!

Good luck Bob. There's always someone crazy than oneself. 30 miles is my furthest race. Brighton Marathon will be my 74th at marathon distance or above. Am getting there towards the 100th. But a 50 miler! No way:mad:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Was already to get my place for next year at £42.50 but was so wound up by lack of signs and having to walk a complete circle downstairs just to get upstairs to register that I stormed of with my race pack in a hump. So Barcelona or Paris next year perhaps. Good news is the adrenaline is kicking in, I wont get too hot on Suday and will have a wind assisted last 5 miles or so. Knocky1.

Was already to get my place for next year at £42.50 but was so wound up by lack of signs and having to walk a complete circle downstairs just to get upstairs to register that I stormed of with my race pack in a hump. So Barcelona or Paris next year perhaps. Good news is the adrenaline is kicking in, I wont get too hot on Suday and will have a wind assisted last 5 miles or so. Knocky1.

Thanks for the tip. Will enter for the 6th Brighton marathon & my 6th Brighton marathon (before I run marathon 5). Always seems odd signing up for next years before running this years!
I did Barcelona three weeks ago & also 10 years ago. Both occassions too warm for my liking. Not used to it!
Paris I have done too. A good un

Looking forward to damp weather on Sunday :)

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?298523-BHA-v-Barnsley-Score-Predictor

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good luck Bob. There's always someone crazy than oneself. 30 miles is my furthest race. Brighton Marathon will be my 74th at marathon distance or above. Am getting there towards the 100th. But a 50 miler! No way:mad:

I've got my eye on the London to Brighton run one day, but not for a few years. I'm guessing that takes a LOT of training, and I simply don't have the time...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've got my eye on the London to Brighton run one day, but not for a few years. I'm guessing that takes a LOT of training, and I simply don't have the time...

A lot of training? Or sheer lunacy? :smile:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
London to Brighton is a fabulous event. Training is no harder than for a marathon unless you are trying to win it. I did it last year, max training distance was 27m (Three Forts).

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
I will be wearing RED bib 17442 tomorrow, really looking forward to the event as it is a magnificent day...however weather not looking great and my knees are still very sore/slight pains at times. Never got to a Marathon start feeling 100% and always got around ok.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Did anyone running the SDW at lunchtime come across a lost oriental chap? I was heading into Lewes near the gallops and he asked me for the Seven Sisters, so had obv missed the right turn the SDW does down to the A27. He carried on off left, so prob ended up near the back of Lewes :nono:

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade

Thanks HT. It's been the best preparation of the 5 for me with no injuries to speak of and fairly decent weather on the whole. Hoping for another year on year improvement. Man flu this last week might have an effect but hopefully not. Good luck everyone.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Good luck to all the Marathon runners tomorrow.

Still don't fancy doing one myself, but I'm pretty glad of the training I did for the Surrey Half - knocked 1.5 minutes off my 5k pb doing my first Park Run of 2014 today!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here