Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
19 deg and 40 mph south westerlies tomorrow morning has Hove Park written all over it. Oh yeah, and Mrs Simgull is Run Director so it’s vene more written all over it for me.

I will probably be there with a parkrun virgin to show her the ropes. She's entered in her first race (Reigate 10k) and has just done her first few 5K runs.

Good to know a friendly face will be RD and even better to know you've recovered from your freak Southern Rail / bike incident.

We're aiming to get there about 8.40. That's plenty of time to get her briefed isn't it?

I had offered to pace her round to 35 mins but she's insisting I run my own race. That means I have a whole evening to decide whether to go full throttle and try to get my course best for 2018 or whether to take it very easy and do a harder long run on Sunday.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Two weeks ago outside of calf went immediately as I started an interval session. So speed. Yesterday middle of calf at 8:30 pace but not much distance. I don't like to google it as it is often referred to as an old man's injury.

Good news is it's loosened already. Bad news is the sudden failures. I think [MENTION=21215]Dazzer6666 [/MENTION] mentioned a while back about nerve issues. So I'm going to spend some time on my spine which feels tight and work those hip adductor so.

I can't tell you what a revelation neural flossing (it's not, and nothing like, stretching) was for me after many years of calf issues - had long discussions with the physio about it, apparently very common, particularly in, ahem, middle age. I reckon in about 15 years of running I averaged about 1-2 calf tears per year. Since the light came on re this about 2 years ago I haven't had a single calf issue (and only one other injury which was due to a knot in my glute). Takes a couple of mins but worth doing once a day....decent example here but there are others........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzcncRdkHno

Essentially, the 'sticking' of the sciatic nerve can happen anywhere, and the muscle tightening in the calf is a protectionary thing to stop the nerve getting damaged. It feels like stiffness, you try to run through it, then they go ping.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I will probably be there with a parkrun virgin to show her the ropes. She's entered in her first race (Reigate 10k) and has just done her first few 5K runs.

Good to know a friendly face will be RD and even better to know you've recovered from your freak Southern Rail / bike incident.

We're aiming to get there about 8.40. That's plenty of time to get her briefed isn't it?

I had offered to pace her round to 35 mins but she's insisting I run my own race. That means I have a whole evening to decide whether to go full throttle and try to get my course best for 2018 or whether to take it very easy and do a harder long run on Sunday.

I’ve checked with Ma’am and yes 8:40 should be fine. See you there. There has been a 35 min paced a few times recently.

Taken a while but my knee seems better although still a bit of swelling, will give it a test tomorrow at PR and hopefully longer on Sunday.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I can't tell you what a revelation neural flossing (it's not, and nothing like, stretching) was for me after many years of calf issues - had long discussions with the physio about it, apparently very common, particularly in, ahem, middle age. I reckon in about 15 years of running I averaged about 1-2 calf tears per year. Since the light came on re this about 2 years ago I haven't had a single calf issue (and only one other injury which was due to a knot in my glute). Takes a couple of mins but worth doing once a day....decent example here but there are others........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzcncRdkHno

Essentially, the 'sticking' of the sciatic nerve can happen anywhere, and the muscle tightening in the calf is a protectionary thing to stop the nerve getting damaged. It feels like stiffness, you try to run through it, then they go ping.

Thanks. That's it. Seems to explain my calf problems. Today the calf has got back to normal, which didn't seem possible yesterday (although I did stop immediately). My back though has felt like a coiled spring. I've worked on it throughout the day and it's getting there. Very happy with quick recovery, will certainly carry on nerve flossing and may even get to Hove Park in the morning.

NOT stretching after cycling and swimming is my downfall.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have been struggling with a sore groin the past few days. I ran 22 miles last Sunday, was very tired and ragged towards the end and gait was all over the place and I developed pain/soreness in the right side where the leg meets the pelvis. I have been resting it (on holiday at the moment so it’s mainly been horizon under the sun) and running slowly on alternate days since Sunday. But this morning I had to stop 4 miles in as it was too sore. More rest and see how it feels in a few days.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I have been struggling with a sore groin the past few days. I ran 22 miles last Sunday, was very tired and ragged towards the end and gait was all over the place and I developed pain/soreness in the right side where the leg meets the pelvis. I have been resting it (on holiday at the moment so it’s mainly been horizon under the sun) and running slowly on alternate days since Sunday. But this morning I had to stop 4 miles in as it was too sore. More rest and see how it feels in a few days.

Good luck. Not an ideal place to put a large ice pack. A stretch resistance band can help such areas once soreness has abated.

My mystery calf pain ran a fairly decent 21:27 Hove Parkrun today 48 hours after seizure. Since the seizure I haven't had to stretch it and didn't even warm it up today beyond the cycle to the start. The spinal flossing may be the answer or maybe it was cramping.

Great non start at Hove Park today. The frontrunners did not hear the 3-2-1 start and waited on the line with 300+ runners trying to push them to get started. Garmin shows it was over 10 seconds before they got going. Good to see all the NSC runners who turned up.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Good luck. Not an ideal place to put a large ice pack. A stretch resistance band can help such areas once soreness has abated.

My mystery calf pain ran a fairly decent 21:27 Hove Parkrun today 48 hours after seizure. Since the seizure I haven't had to stretch it and didn't even warm it up today beyond the cycle to the start. The spinal flossing may be the answer or maybe it was cramping.

Great non start at Hove Park today. The frontrunners did not hear the 3-2-1 start and waited on the line with 300+ runners trying to push them to get started. Garmin shows it was over 10 seconds before they got going. Good to see all the NSC runners who turned up.

Easily my most enjoyabvle parkrun of the year. Missed out on a SB by three seconds (official) but unofficiallly, due to the start, I ran 23.50 despite the sun, wind and hills. Even officially it was a full minute quicker than my last Hove Park effort.

Even more rewarding to cheer a first timer over the line in 35.36. She was dead chuffed and I think another running addict has been added to the ranks.

364 finishers today, nearly one for every day of the year.

Nice to see the NSC crowd.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
19 deg and 40 mph south westerlies tomorrow morning has Hove Park written all over it. Oh yeah, and Mrs Simgull is Run Director so it’s vene more written all over it for me.
I wish I'd read this before my run this morning. Ran east to Hove, no problem. Turned down to the seafront and then headed back west and BAM! Wind in my face all the way home. No rain though, which was a bonus.

Dying to get back to parkrun, but it just doesn't work at the moment. So I'll see you in mid-September [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I decided to take a week off Park Run after a really hectic July. Conditions weren't great anyway so I'll preserve my body with some slower paced running.

Good to hear knocky & guinness having good runs at Hove, I'll be out tomorrow in the rain for a morning long run.

Trailblazer results have come through and I managed a 6th position in 40:45 which I'm very pleased with.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Alice Holt parkrun for me (thus adding an 'A' to my collection). Really nice part of the world - near Farnham/Haselmere (thus incredibly posh). Delightful course into the forest although I'd put it on the hilly side of undulating. But this doesn't excuse a pretty woeful time of 24:11 (tbc).Recommended - but not for anyone hunting for an SB or PB.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I decided to take a week off Park Run after a really hectic July. Conditions weren't great anyway so I'll preserve my body with some slower paced running.

Good to hear knocky & guinness having good runs at Hove, I'll be out tomorrow in the rain for a morning long run.

Trailblazer results have come through and I managed a 6th position in 40:45 which I'm very pleased with.

A wise runner getting in some proper R&R after an impressive month. 6th place and 40:45 was a good leisurell effort.

Left Back

Jan 22, 2011
Park run tourist again, ticking off the local PRs; @ Horsham today. Not mad on the course, I found ì very twisty and turnery but still continuing to improve with a 22:35, so happy with that.

Only downer was that my barcode didn't scan so I've emailed to see if they can add me in.

(Also, I've realised that I already had an H in the alphabetti park run game from Hove Prom. I guess swapsies are against the rules [emoji848])

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Park run tourist again, ticking off the local PRs; @ Horsham today. Not mad on the course, I found ì very twisty and turnery but still continuing to improve with a 22:35, so happy with that.

Only downer was that my barcode didn't scan so I've emailed to see if they can add me in.

(Also, I've realised that I already had an H in the alphabetti park run game from Hove Prom. I guess swapsies are against the rules [emoji848])

I'm tempted but I'm OK for H! I wonder what the exchange rate would be - eg a J would be worth quite a few.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
After deciding not to risk Hastings seafront ended up at Eastbourne again. It's fairly sheltered, wasn't troubled by the wind and managed fairly consistent splits coming in at 20:52. Interestingly Caroline Wood from Hove Hornets was runnnig her 325th parkrun there. I don't know her age but she is an amazing athelete who finished 20:27 with an incredible 87:37% AG.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
After deciding not to risk Hastings seafront ended up at Eastbourne again. It's fairly sheltered, wasn't troubled by the wind and managed fairly consistent splits coming in at 20:52. Interestingly Caroline Wood from Hove Hornets was runnnig her 325th parkrun there. I don't know her age but she is an amazing athelete who finished 20:27 with an incredible 87:37% AG.

Yes - she is amazing. Has been showing me a clean pair of heels for a number of years now!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

We overtook her on the Weakest link relay. She was with a weaker relay team (than herself) and as we ran past I kept mouthing off how happy I was to be able to run past her for the first time since 2009. Arena 80 not Hornets and incredible for someone who didn't run till 50.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Question - I'm a 50 year old who is in week 4 of Couch to 5K.

I'm starting to notice a bit of tenderness in my calf after runs. I do stretching before I start & after, but none during the run. I've been reading lately that people walk for 5 minutes & then do their stretching. Anyone have success with this method? Other suggestions?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I'm starting to notice a bit of tenderness in my calf after runs. I do stretching before I start & after, but none during the run. I've been reading lately that people walk for 5 minutes & then do their stretching. Anyone have success with this method? Other suggestions?

Well done for getting to week 4. The likeliest cause is the muscles reacting to the new regime but we cannot say for certain. Gentle stretching at any point would be ok but getting the stretch wrong on warm tired muscles can lead to further injury. Ice after can help, mentally relaxing the muscle and using a roller when it's warm.

It could be running gait or shoes. https://healthunlocked.com/couchto5k/posts/131047800/calf-muscle-pain

Good luck on the 5k and don't train with sore calf.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

When you stretch before have you already warmed up the muscle with either massage or walking? I wouldn't stretch a cold muscle personally. It's a mistake I made when I started out but you need to do some dynamic work before static stretching. Stretching after helped me when I started though, my calves got tight purely because they weren't used to it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
After yesterday's fun in the sun a seven mile plod for me in a howling gale and pouring rain. Having thought I'd saved a bit in the tank from yesterday it turns out that if you run the last 0.11 of Hove Park at 6 min mile pace and get to Graham Godden pace for 10 yards or so, you bugger your long run. Who'd've thunk it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here