Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Brighton was a bit of a disaster for me - I got cramp early at 18 miles and couldn't get shot of it. I had quite a long walk along the harbour road and stopped twice in the bit between 26miles and 26.2m - I could see the finish but both legs had completley seized up with cramp. I hobbled over in 3:58 and that, I reckon, will be my last marathon.

I struggled on every long run this year and was playing catch up all the time as the race got nearer.

Looking forward now to some shorter stuff!

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Done my first Marathon (London ) at the grand age of 54 in 3 hrs 42 mins so well pleased with that and swore I would never do another one, but after 3 days recovery have put my name down in the ballot for next years !!

The secret is Preparation and training, as you have to do all the boring bits and dedicate yourself to it for months to get round, believe me it works

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
How was mk LB

at least you weren't doing shakespeare!

MK was, shall we say, wet, windy & fricking cold! I was very chuffed with 3hrs 54. One more to go, this Sunday in Dorset. Not as hilly as three forts but it is hilly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
MK was, shall we say, wet, windy & fricking cold! I was very chuffed with 3hrs 54. One more to go, this Sunday in Dorset. Not as hilly as three forts but it is hilly.

Oh, Gillingham in Dorset. I was wondering how, after Brighton and London especially, you could get motivated for a trot around The Garden of Kent's finest. Good luck fella.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Done my first Marathon (London ) at the grand age of 54 in 3 hrs 42 mins so well pleased with that and swore I would never do another one, but after 3 days recovery have put my name down in the ballot for next years !!

The secret is Preparation and training, as you have to do all the boring bits and dedicate yourself to it for months to get round, believe me it works

That is a quality achievement/performance, well done CS.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Brighton was a bit of a disaster for me - I got cramp early at 18 miles and couldn't get shot of it. I had quite a long walk along the harbour road and stopped twice in the bit between 26miles and 26.2m - I could see the finish but both legs had completley seized up with cramp. I hobbled over in 3:58 and that, I reckon, will be my last marathon.

I struggled on every long run this year and was playing catch up all the time as the race got nearer.

Looking forward now to some shorter stuff!

I'd love 3:58 to be a disaster! This year was my third Marathon and I've gone from 4:55 to 4:33 to 4:00:10.
Those 10 seconds REALLY pissed me off!
I'll be 43 next time (already entered) and I've decided I'm losing 2 stone for next year. I figure lugging less body mass around will knock off a few minutes.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade

Top effort.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I'd love 3:58 to be a disaster! This year was my third Marathon and I've gone from 4:55 to 4:33 to 4:00:10.
Those 10 seconds REALLY pissed me off!
I'll be 43 next time (already entered) and I've decided I'm losing 2 stone for next year. I figure lugging less body mass around will knock off a few minutes.

2 seconds per mile per lb lost is the scientific consensus, so sub 3.30 next year then!

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Can anybody recommend a good training book - already applied for brighton and in London ballot - want to break 4 hours ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can anybody recommend a good training book - already applied for brighton and in London ballot - want to break 4 hours ?

If you subscribe to RunnersWorld not only do you get the monthly mag through your letter box you get access to the training plans on their website. They have a wide selection of detailed 16 week training plans for all times, abilities and level of weekly training commitment. Pick a 4 hour plan which suits and stick to it. They also advise on the base level of fitness you need to enter the 16 week plan so you'll need to build up to this as well. Again, you can pick another plan to get to this. I find them excellent and the mag is not a bad read either.

Also, post questions on here as you'll get help and support along the way.

Good luck.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Cheers - I have the basic fitness I run about 15 miles a week. This will be marathon no.4 each time i am getting faster, need to knock 10 mins off my PB.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Cheers - I have the basic fitness I run about 15 miles a week. This will be marathon no.4 each time i am getting faster, need to knock 10 mins off my PB.

Gotcha. I'm certain if you follow a "4 hour" plan to the letter you'll be fine. The key is to get the miles under your belt so you can keep a steady and even pace on the day. I print off a pace wrist band from the same website and use this to check my time at each mile marker to keep on track. Or you can buy a fancy GPS watch thingy. I print the wrist band for 2 minutes under my target time and try and build up 3 minutes buffer during the first half to give me 5 minutes to play with. The plan and the wrist band have enabled me to come in on time in all 3 marathons I have done.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
3:37 Brighton
3:49 London

Running Three Forts 1/2 tomorrow,

Then.....

Marathon 52 in two weeks time.....

Richmond Park

52, yikes. Good luck. Also good luck to Lord Bamber tomorrow on the last leg of his marathon quartet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here