Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I run three times a week and have a 3 day rest after my long runs
I do 13-15 miles twice on weekday nights and then put another 2 miles on that on my long runs at the weekend ( pre beer)
Just add a mile a week to your long runs and you will be fine
Also taper down the last 3 weeks as your body needs a rest to get rid of all you niggles from your running etc. I was a bit wary of this as I thought it would throw my fitness out of the window but it was the opposite, I just done a couple of ten milers and then down to 6 milers in those last three weeks and had trained to go round at 10.30 pace but romped around at 8.30 pace and felt great
So trust in your training and your tapering and it will work
( PS I was 52 years old when I done the London Marathon in 3 hrs 42mins)
This year I'm doing the Brighton Marathon and will be doing the same training routine

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I do 13-15 miles twice on weekday nights and then put another 2 miles on that on my long runs at the weekend ( pre beer)
Also taper down the last 3 weeks as your body needs a rest to get rid of all you niggles from your running etc. I was a bit wary of this as I thought it would throw my fitness out of the window but it was the opposite, I just done a couple of ten milers and then down to 6 milers in those last three weeks and had trained to go round at 10.30 pace but romped around at 8.30 pace and felt great
This year I'm doing the Brighton Marathon and will be doing the same training routine

Tapering is very important. It also helps build up the body's energy levels again and also helps with the mental aspect of marathon running....well it does with me as I'm like a coiled spring on the starting line having had 3-4 weeks of relative inactivity.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
1 and a bit miles last night up on The Gallops in Findon in the pitch black with a torch. Trying to be aware of safety, I didn't play music through earphones for a change, but I still didn't hear the mountain biker approaching me from behind until he came round me, causing me to jump about 10 feet in the air.

5 miles on the road this morning, getting out before the rains came, trying to be even paced which I managed. A rare feat for me.

I'm on the edge with my knees constantly and I know if I overdo it I'll be in trouble again. They don't hurt when I run, just when I don't. More running, right?

12 days of 2017. 12 runs. 12 days without a drink.

I reckon anyone who has run a few halves could run a full marathon without too much trouble. You won't get a brilliant time, of course, but you'd get round if that is your only aim. Obviously, I speak from no experience at all - my longest run was 15 or 16 miles. But I was pretty confident that on my last day of my 85 day run streak last year I could have run from my house in Findon to Brighton Pier, bought an ice cream and run back again which would be a marathon. It would have been slow and ploddy but I think I had it in me. Injury around day 80 put paid to those plans unfortunately.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
1 and a bit miles last night up on The Gallops in Findon in the pitch black with a torch. Trying to be aware of safety, I didn't play music through earphones for a change, but I still didn't hear the mountain biker approaching me from behind until he came round me, causing me to jump about 10 feet in the air.

5 miles on the road this morning, getting out before the rains came, trying to be even paced which I managed. A rare feat for me.

I'm on the edge with my knees constantly and I know if I overdo it I'll be in trouble again. They don't hurt when I run, just when I don't. More running, right?

12 days of 2017. 12 runs. 12 days without a drink.

I reckon anyone who has run a few halves could run a full marathon without too much trouble. You won't get a brilliant time, of course, but you'd get round if that is your only aim. Obviously, I speak from no experience at all - my longest run was 15 or 16 miles. But I was pretty confident that on my last day of my 85 day run streak last year I could have run from my house in Findon to Brighton Pier, bought an ice cream and run back again which would be a marathon. It would have been slow and ploddy but I think I had it in me. Injury around day 80 put paid to those plans unfortunately.

I have dodgy knees as well and I have put Ironman gel insoles in my trainers
Works wonders in my case

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I have dodgy knees as well and I have put Ironman gel insoles in my trainers
Works wonders in my case

I have orthotics in my shoes that I got after some PF last year. That said, I'm not sure I've put them in my new shoes!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
So, it looks like the Brighton buildup begins – good luck all. I'll be there somewhere on the course on the day, the least I can do, given the support I've been given in previous years. I might sign up to do it in 2018 because I've got unfinished business after a shocking performance in 2016.

This year I chose London, but I think it will be my last one of them. As much as I loved it, the fundraising, sheer number of runners and the expo shenanigans the day before are all minor ballaches to me. I'm WAY more excited about the other three marathons I'm (currently) got in the diary for 2017 – maybe because they're off-road and I've become a real trail-lover.
[MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION], I echo what the guys have said – feel free to post here with question and/or progress updates. People knock social media for a lot of things, but the network of people online have been a real help to me and my running in the past three/four years.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I'm never sure about the rest days. As I do more triathlon than pure running I don't have more than 1 rest day a week when I am focused on an event. Ideally I would run 3 times, bike and swim twice so even 1 day feels a luxury especially if you want to add a gym session. So though I schedule a rest day after the long run I sometimes opt for a recovery day, usually on the bike.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I see Matt Prior is talking on twitter about running Parkrun on Saturday at Hove Park, might just drag myself down there with that in mind.

:bounce::bounce:

I'd love to run against him tomorrow but have a precautionary appointment with Jesus for the Achilles/calf. Not wise to run a 5k just before. May pop down to see him run and throw some jelly beans at him. I'd guess he'll run off the pace at 23 or 24"??

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I'm never sure about the rest days. As I do more triathlon than pure running I don't have more than 1 rest day a week when I am focused on an event. Ideally I would run 3 times, bike and swim twice so even 1 day feels a luxury especially if you want to add a gym session. So though I schedule a rest day after the long run I sometimes opt for a recovery day, usually on the bike.

Yes I agree I would love to do what you do as my heart and brain say yes to that but my legs would say no now at the grand age of 59 !!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Four REMF runners this year I believe. Me and you, a guy called Jamie who I knew years back from away games and Jared, one half of the REMF football team "Brick Wall". I think we have one marathon between the four of us and that was mine last year where I went off too fast, broke my watch and took Immodium when I shouldn't have. Given that I think we'll all be looking for advice from the more experienced runners on here! [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION] is going to link our Just Giving pages I believe. Nearer the date I'll talk to Brett about getting some publicity for all of us and I'm also on the Albion Roar this week so we're going to start pushing the pages on there. Finally I would suggest a meet up in Preston Park on the morning of the run. Last year the guys from this thread plus another REMF runner and a couple of friends of mine met up and chatted at the cafe. There were at least five novices in the group and it definitely helped calm the nerves - plus we can get a "before" team selfie while we all look vaguely normal.

I am doing Brighton but not for REMF, this year I am just running without fund raising to give my mates and family time to replenish cash balances, as I have pretty much hassled people for 4 of the last 5 years. Would be great to meet up the morning of the race for my third Brighton marathon. Doing my training based on 10 minute miles so setting myself a tough target of 4 hours 20 minutes (4.41 my current PB). 18 miles planned on Sunday (ahead of Brighton schedules as my next marathon is 19th March). How many on here are doing the Brighton Half Marathon on the 26th Feb?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
:bounce::bounce:

I'd love to run against him tomorrow but have a precautionary appointment with Jesus for the Achilles/calf. Not wise to run a 5k just before. May pop down to see him run and throw some jelly beans at him. I'd guess he'll run off the pace at 23 or 24"??

Matt Prior is a very keen cyclist and although I don't know his standard I would guess that he's pretty 'cycling fit'. I'd be with you on the guesstimate of his time but on one thing I am confident: if he had Kevin Pietersen chasing him he'd be running flat-out.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Matt Prior is a very keen cyclist and although I don't know his standard I would guess that he's pretty 'cycling fit'. I'd be with you on the guesstimate of his time but on one thing I am confident: if he had Kevin Pietersen chasing him he'd be running flat-out.

Strauss did the London Marathon in a good 3:40:00 a couple of years back but I reckon stocky Matt Prior won't get near our best times from last year in a 5k. Anyway we'd thrash him on the Age Grading percentages.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Ok so my wifes Garmin Forerunner 235 is pretty f**king cool actually. I'm thinking of buying one for myself!!!

BUT can someone recommend a swim app for indoor pools (about 25m)?

Also I don't know if someone has already mentioned it, but we signed up with Vitality life insurance. You get a bunch of decent perks: Full access gym membership to Virgin Active for about £44, discounts at Ocado, Free Cinema tickets every week and 40% of Garmins etc......

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Strauss did the London Marathon in a good 3:40:00 a couple of years back but I reckon stocky Matt Prior won't get near our best times from last year in a 5k. Anyway we'd thrash him on the Age Grading percentages.

Strauss trained properly for the marathon - I remember reading an article on it. Stockdale was posting his runs on twitter a while back (in the summer I think) - not parkrun, but 5k was taking him about 25 mins

I was supposed to do parkrun today, forgot to set my alarm and in my jetlagged state woke up at 8.50.......whoops :wrong:. Did a 5km time trial on the treadmill instead. Swear it was harder.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
That was chilly at Hove Park, no sign of Matt Prior but I plodded round so he may have been ahead somewhere.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Ok so my wifes Garmin Forerunner 235 is pretty f**king cool actually. I'm thinking of buying one for myself!!!

BUT can someone recommend a swim app for indoor pools (about 25m)?

Also I don't know if someone has already mentioned it, but we signed up with Vitality life insurance. You get a bunch of decent perks: Full access gym membership to Virgin Active for about £44, discounts at Ocado, Free Cinema tickets every week and 40% of Garmins etc......

I'm not sure the 235 would be suitable for swimming, splash proof not waterproof I think. If you want something to just count laps in a swimming pool get a Pool Mate watch which ate pretty cheap.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...1484398850&sr=8-1&pi=SL75&keywords=poolmate+2

Or you could get a Garmin 735xt which does running and swimming but are costly to say the least!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...&qid=1484398997&sr=8-1&pi=SL75&keywords=735xt

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I'm not sure the 235 would be suitable for swimming, splash proof not waterproof I think. If you want something to just count laps in a swimming pool get a Pool Mate watch which ate pretty cheap.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...1484398850&sr=8-1&pi=SL75&keywords=poolmate+2

Or you could get a Garmin 735xt which does running and swimming but are costly to say the least!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...&qid=1484398997&sr=8-1&pi=SL75&keywords=735xt

I'm pretty sure it is waterproof (mine seems to be....)
http://runreporter.com/running-gear-reviews/forerunner-235-swimming/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here