Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've known Michael for years from when he and his wife Sharon used to fly over from NZ for the last Albion game of the season. "The Flying Squad" as it became known is still going today.

He records the commentary of our games on a Saturday and listens to them, not knowing the result, on his long Sunday runs which must be quite exciting at times!

But, yes, he's in a different league to the rest of us!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I remember Michael being on the original Seagulls mailing list back in the day. Had no idea he was THAT good though. As marathon season approaches I guess we are all competing for 2nd place / age grading :lolol:

I was going to ask how old he was but with a marathon time of 2:46:25 it doesn't really matter. Can't we talk him into supporting Palace?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Good luck on competing all the holiday Parkruns. I'll be drinking late Friday to hopefully console a Welsh mate. So no double Hove run for me. Prom at 9 and Park at 10:30. Looking forward to returning to Parkrun in 2017.

Been a good year for me too. Quantity most ever. Quality, best AG since 1971 and three good runs at Hasting's Half, Phoenix 10k and Hasting's Parkrun. Best fun run the Three Fort's Challenge. Longest holiday from running for a while, 4 months from August.

Plan for next year is to get back in slowly. I may even infiltrate the cycling geeks as part of a cross training plan.

In fact if any runners want a sprint triathlon challenge in May or June, I'm prepared to take up the gauntlet.

Good stuff. Like the triathlon challenge idea. I can't take you up on it as am a shite swimmer but perhaps the youth squad might fancy it. But there are some local(ish) (Southsea) duathlons in Spring which I might have a crack at.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I was going to ask how old he was but with a marathon time of 2:46:25 it doesn't really matter. Can't we talk him into supporting Palace?

I'm such a sad git that I looked this up. Totally unbelievably a 2.45 marathon (for a 30 year old) would 'only' get a 75.71% Age Grade! This doesn't seem right................but he's probably well past that age.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm such a sad git that I looked this up. Totally unbelievably a 2.45 marathon (for a 30 year old) would 'only' get a 75.71% Age Grade! This doesn't seem right................but he's probably well past that age.

Nearly 20 years older.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

2:46....**** me.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good stuff. Like the triathlon challenge idea. I can't take you up on it as am a shite swimmer but perhaps the youth squad might fancy it. But there are some local(ish) (Southsea) duathlons in Spring which I might have a crack at.

That looks good but being a tight wad I am more interested in the Portsmouth Tri Club Duathlon at Goodwood April 2nd. At 40k you get over twice as many miles cycling on empty roads for your depreciated pound.
https://race-nation.com/portsmouth-triathletes-spring-duathlon-at-goodwood-2017

Just got the racer down from it's 3 year hibernation in the attic. Put it together and had a leisurely cycle along the congested seafront. Looking forward to school starting next week.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
That looks good but being a tight wad I am more interested in the Portsmouth Tri Club Duathlon at Goodwood April 2nd. At 40k you get over twice as many miles cycling on empty roads for your depreciated pound.
https://race-nation.com/portsmouth-triathletes-spring-duathlon-at-goodwood-2017

Just got the racer down from it's 3 year hibernation in the attic. Put it together and had a leisurely cycle along the congested seafront. Looking forward to school starting next week.

I did the Goodwood one last year. It's a great circuit but not so great when the wind blows. I don't know whether I dare show my face there again as I actually managed to cycle off on someone else's bike after the first run. And it was a woman's bike too. I wanted the ground to swallow me up................but I retrieved the right bike, made humble apologies and finished the race - albeit with a poor time courtesy of a 4 minute transition. Oh dear.

PS They did 2 events on the same day last year - I did the shorter of the 2. 40K on the bike would have killed me.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

love the word "attic", it reminds me of my dear old nan's house! What actually is your attic?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Managed a near 8 minute mile this morning, which was an issue as I was supposed to be running 9 minute miles (I've already confessed to coach, [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION])

Also got yelled at by [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] which was a nice reversal to last year. Must be marathon training season.....

Ha ha! Good to see you. First time I've been along the seafront for ages – I'd missed it, strangely.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Successful 2km fitness test on the ankle today. Still lots of bruising but running seems ok. Will try Preston Park perk run tomorrow and hopefully the New Year's Day double.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
No parkrun for me tomorrow, just 4.1 miles to get to 100 miles for the month and 1,100 miles for the year.

Just a touch of OCD then...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Mediocre 21.35 ish for me at foggy Hove Prom this morning. Beaten by a bloke pushing a buggy. Lots of work to do, starting with shifting some timber I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here