Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
The Clandon 10k was a lot of fun yesterday. Most of the course was either waterlogged or muddy. Having seen the official photos it looks like I enjoyed myself. Finished just outside the top ten, and felt better than last year (on a dry course) despite being about 30 seconds slower!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
How did everyone get on then? I had a shocking second half and finished in 4.09.

Horrible race but I don't have a clue why...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
How did everyone get on then? I had a shocking second half and finished in 4.09.

Exactly the same for me - dreadful second half and just under 4.05. I can only think I went off too fast and then the heat didn't help. Really didn't enjoy the last few miles - never had to walk at a race before.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Tough work today, felt pretty gone around 15 but then started feeling better between 19-23. Last 5k was gruelling but you expect that from a marathon. 3:15:59 very pleased and very tired

One pint and two glasses of red so far, I may add to that once I get the little one of to sleep.

Good running all round today.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Didn't see as I went past you so i assumed you had kicked my @rse. i only realised you'd dropped behind when [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] told me when he caught me up in the finishers pen

That five seconds is going to grate on me for the rest of my life but I am so happy to get that as a time in a first marathon. Made every rookie mistake going, off too quickly, poor water consumption leading to cramping at 14 and 21 and stopped to get my last energy drink rather than running through. I was actually feeling beaten up at 14 which is when I saw [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] then my friends and family were all at 16 to get me round till I cramped again.

Lovely to see you all today chaps. Great running all round. Not warm everywhere but the sun was strong out of the wind.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Didn't see as I went past you so i assumed you had kicked my @rse. i only realised you'd dropped behind when [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] told me when he caught me up in the finishers pen :)

That five seconds is going to grate on me for the rest of my life but I am so happy to get that as a time in a first marathon. Made every rookie mistake going, off too quickly, poor water consumption leading to cramping at 14 and 21 and stopped to get my last energy drink rather than running through. I was actually feeling beaten up at 14 which is when I saw [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] then my friends and family were all at 16 to get me round till I cramped again.

Lovely to see you all today chaps. Great running all round. Not warm everywhere but the sun was strong out of the wind.

Effing hell mate don't beat yourself up. I trained my arse off for my first marathon and made even more mistakes, finished in about 4.30. What you did is a great first effort.......you learn something every time you do a marathon. I cramped today from about 21......been doing loads of work on hydration and electrolyte balance over the last 2 years but still screwed something up. It knackers your race - not a lot you can do once it starts.

I did tell you that your pace was too fast after about 3 miles though [emoji3][emoji3]

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Didn't see as I went past you so i assumed you had kicked my @rse. i only realised you'd dropped behind when [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] told me when he caught me up in the finishers pen

That's almost 20 minutes quicker than my first effort. Going off too quickly is very common, I've done the same think in each of my 4 marathons.

The water consumption I'm good at, I take everything gels, jelly babies, oranges, energy drinks, water the lot. Anything I can get my hands on usually two cups per station. You really need the electrolytes to keep you going for the final push.

You will come back fitter and stronger next year. My second attempt was just over 24 and a half minutes quicker so with continued training you could look at 3:40-3:45 next year.

A few shorter events will do you the world of good. There is no doubt Park Run & other 10k's have made me a far better runner.

Charity donation on its way.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My Mrs just asked me if there was a bigger adrenaline buzz (legally) than going over that finishing line and I have to say there isn't. Which is why I will be shortly pulling out my debit card and entering next year.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Six seconds surely? [emoji6]

But seriously, you've done very well. My first was 4.36 many moons ago and I'm convinced today was a blip, for whatever reason (I know how much we wanted 3.45). I'll find out next weekend.

I thought the pace was alright - training runs I've done have been around that. I could tell something was up by 10 miles. Tried to fix it but nothing was working. By 20 I just wanted it to end. When I saw [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] at 24? I'd completely gone. Never struggled like that in a race before.

My performance aside, I didn't enjoy BM as much as previous years. Big sections with no support and I hadn't experienced the start like that before.

Possibly become too big for my liking? But I've got unfinished business there now so I'll be back. Just not next year 😊

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
A bit of a nightmare race for me today but after not being able to train because of my foot, I have to be happy. I clocked an official time of 3:59:54 - with a proper sprint finish at the very end. I charged through the pack, and had to - I had so much time to make up. I had real problems with my right quad, right hamstring and right calf at different times but the last 7 miles were blighted by the quad problems. I'm pleased to come in under 4 hours, just, but disappointed. I ran a 3:37:57 last year but was never in danger of getting near that this time.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
3:44:42... damn happy with that for a first marathon. Didn't have the zamora shirt on today, so was a bit under the radar. Enjoyed that though.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Well done to all who did the 26.2 yesterday, amazing efforts one and all.

Feel a bit of a fraud on this thread as only ran the BM10k.

Would like to thank the NSC'er who suggested changing my running shoes from Asics Nimbus 17 to DS Racer 11's for the race to improve my time.

Felt noticeably lighter and I knocked over 2 minutes off my PB for a 49:22.

I didn't take on the other recommendations which were to shave my legs and smother them in coconut oil, as wasn't sure if it was a wind up or not.

Conditions were nigh on perfect, apart from the mud in the corrals ruining the shoes.

My wife, at the tender age of 5x, ran her first 10k and now 'gets' why I enjoy running so much.

The aim now is to focus on losing weight (still struggling there TBH) and then potentially run the Dublin marathon at the end of October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012

That pretty much is the story of my day too, but about 20 mins behind you. Started off reasonably well, but began to slow around mile 15 and died on my ars at the power station (who's idea was it have mile 21 over there!). Last 6 miles very tough and ended up 4:28 when I wanted 4:10. London this weekend and trying to think tactics, probably going off slower is a good idea. I hope now that i have 26 miles in my legs, it will come as less of a shock to my mind/body this Sunday! Any advice welcome, or anyone else doing both got thoughts?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well done to all who did the 26.2 yesterday, amazing efforts one and all.

Feel a bit of a fraud on this thread as only ran the BM10k.

Would like to thank the NSC'er who suggested changing my running shoes from Asics Nimbus 17 to DS Racer 11's for the race to improve my time.

I didn't take on the other recommendations which were to shave my legs and smother them in coconut oil, as wasn't sure if it was a wind up or not.

Conditions were nigh on perfect, apart from the mud in the corrals ruining the shoes.

My wife, at the tender age of 5x, ran her first 10k and now 'gets' why I enjoy running so much.

The aim now is to focus on losing weight (still struggling there TBH) and then potentially run the Dublin marathon at the end of October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was me. You probably would have knocked another 5 minutes off with the shaved legs and coconut oil. Good run. You beat the 10k I did around lunchtime yesterday by 20-30 minutes. Wearing the racers helps tell my legs that they have to go for it. Didn't risk them for 26 miles though.

Was it you in the bushes with a camera yesterday? The queues for the toilets were too long for many.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Was it you in the bushes with a camera yesterday? The queues for the toilets were too long for many.

My lawyer advises me not to answer that question.

Thanks very much for the DS Racer tip.

Mersey Spring 10k in two weeks. Will contemplate the shaved legs but may be subject to ridicule.

On the PLUS side it will make things easier when I go to see the Rocky Horror Show in a few weeks and err.......dress for the occasion.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

That was me. Wearing the racers helps tell my legs that they have to go for it. Didn't risk them for 26 miles though.

I've got some Asics Gel-DS 19s (in lurid yellow). I bought them because they are so much lighter than my regular Brooks GTS shoes. If anything I'd say they do feel too light on my feet - I'm not entirely comfortable in them. So much so, that I've only done 15 miles in them since having them - I've only worn them on a few short runs.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I've got some Asics Gel-DS 19s (in lurid yellow). I bought them because they are so much lighter than my regular Brooks GTS shoes. If anything I'd say they do feel too light on my feet - I'm not entirely comfortable in them. So much so, that I've only done 15 miles in them since having them - I've only worn them on a few short runs.

I was similar with mine. The morning after the first run in them I had terrible problems with my Achilles' so decided to give them a miss.

I brought both them and the Nimbus's to Brighton, and, because the conditions were so promising, gave them an airing as have been stuck in the 51-53 minute 10k zone for a year.

On the day they did make a positive difference, as did the weather, flat course and support from the crowds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here