Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Time for silly question number 248 re the marathon.

I see they are only doing water in CUPS again. How did that work out for you guys last year? It looked a bit difficult in the BM10K but I didn't actually have any and I certainly didn't need to keep any to wash a gel down with. Anyone take their own water bottle?

Couple of cups every station for me. Not enough but looks a cooler day this year. You could get someone near your house to give you a bottle or beaker. I'm off New Church and will ask the Mrs or neighbour to have a pint (of water) ready for me.
Last year I never found the bottles of sports drink at the stations but apparently they had them. Anyone know anything about this?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

I see they are only doing water in CUPS again. How did that work out for you guys last year? It looked a bit difficult in the BM10K but I didn't actually have any and I certainly didn't need to keep any to wash a gel down with. Anyone take their own water bottle?

I run with a camelback that way you can take sips of your preferred drink when you want and avoid the drinks stations. Personally I find cups difficult to drink out of whilst running and last year thought they verged on hazardous when strewn all over the course.

The only cup of water I took was to wash the sticky gel off my hands. If you are thinking of carrying a drink in any format, make sure you do a practice run with it (as with any kit you intend to wear on the day) to make sure you are comfortable with it.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

I found them to be a shambles and I was making myself look progressively more stupid with every attempt to use them. This year, I have lined up people at various viewing points to give me a bottle of water as I pass them. I think that's going to work better, but the cups are fine if you're ok to slow your pace and not splash the contents in your face!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Last year I never found the bottles of sports drink at the stations but apparently they had them. Anyone know anything about this?

Yep, I took a couple of bottles of Gatorade, the first on the way out to Ovingdean, just past the Marina and the other was from pretty much the half way point. A mate of mine cycled a lot of the course as well, he took one and hurled it to me on the way back from the Powerstation.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Cheers chaps, sound advice.

Freak that I am I have done every long run carrying a bottle of water (one of those one directional plastic ones a lot of kids have) and I had a SIS electrolyte tablet in the final 16 miler and the 19 miler. I also have a large bum bag in which I carry gels, keys and a tenner in case I get stuck. It fits six gets - I know because I tested that on the 19 miler too :)

One of my mates despairs of me and frequently suggests I'm running with more weight that I should be but the upside is, if I load both up on Sunday I will be exactly replicating my 19 miler.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Freak that I am I have done every long run carrying a bottle of water (one of those one directional plastic ones a lot of kids have) and I had a SIS electrolyte tablet in the final 16 miler and the 19 miler. I also have a large bum bag in which I carry gels, keys and a tenner in case I get stuck. It fits six gets - I know because I tested that on the 19 miler too :)

One of my mates despairs of me and frequently suggests I'm running with more weight that I should be but the upside is, if I load both up on Sunday I will be exactly replicating my 19 miler.

As I am risking wearing the FLOURESCENT yellow light ASIC gel trainers in a bid for sub 3:50 I will not be carrying any baggage or refreshments. Every pint of water weighs a pound and every litre weighs a kg. just a sweat wipe rag and 20 jelly babies for me.
Waitrose does fruit juice in plastic containers with a wide neck ideal for drinking on the run. I will arrange to pick 2 of them them up on the way.
Off to put on 5lbs of liquid carbs now.............

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Water in cups is CRAP for crowded events like this, it really is. Can't drink whilst running, there will be cups all over the road and worst of all people will stop to drink (be aware when you approach the water stations, as the person in front of you may suddenly stop). London uses small (250 or 330ml) bottles with sports caps which are brilliant - grab one, sip when you want and then get another when it's empty/warm. Brighton had small squeezable water sachets for a couple of years, they were excellent too as they moulded to your hand and were easily carried between aid stations. If I run I will probably carry a small handheld bottle that has a lycra strap so it doesn't need gripping to much, but don't expect to use it too much as the stations at Brighton are frequent enough - I just hate not having a drink with me particularly in the later stages. Other than that I'll cram a few gels into my pocket, along with a small bag containing S!Cap salt capsules, which have been brilliant for me in preventing cramp (one an hour, job done) and probably grab a few bits en route from spectators kind enough to offer jelly babies etc. No need to overcomplicate things. I didn't take on anything other than water and S!Caps last year but have been using gels in speed endurance training and found them OK

The 'extra weight' is immaterial - there is a calculation somewhere about each kilo adding +/- 5 seconds per mile - you'll have way less than a kilo, so maybe adds a minute or two to your race overall. Not having water or gels when you need them may add a damn sight longer !

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'm gonna take 4 gels and pick up a couple of replacements along the way.

Good idea about getting someone to drop you off a bottled drink I'll try to do that.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Can anyone recommend either a half marathon training app or just a training plan? I've got a half marathon on 10 July. I run with a TomTom Runner so don't need an app which actually tracks the run, just want something to tell me when to run and how far / fast I should be going for. Aiming for about 1hr 45 if that makes any difference.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I'm fine with cups – you can always take two if you think you might struggle/spill some, therefore not taking on as much fluids as needed. Last marathon I did had cups and they were fine.

PS: Sorry I've not signed up to the WhatsApp thingy, but I'll come and meet you all at the café pre-kick off. And of course we'll be running together on the 3:45 from Preston Park :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One of the little joys of running is buying and then wearing some new running socks. Just bought three pairs of comfy cosy looking Falke Run.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
This looks fantastic. Forget about the 3:45 train. I'll be flying (I wish). Cool, cool weather = less sweating and the wind picking up from slight just as we turn at the Power Station for home. Fingers crossed. Early days yet.

Sunday 24 April

Time Temp Feels Rain Cloud Dir Wind Speed Weather

6:00-11:59 6 °c 5 °c. 0.0 mm 5 % Wind from WSW (254°). 8 mph Sunny
12:00-17:00 12 °c 11 °c 0.1 mm 20 % Wind from WSW (258°). 14 mph Fair

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Fools at Little Stoke Council in S Gloucestershire are going to charge park-runners to hold their event. This is against the ethos of Parkrun and it will Stop being held.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-36030582

This is a fckunig disgrace, they are a bunch of clowns. I hope several thousand people turn up to do a definitely not organised run in the park every Saturday

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
The council knew full well if they voted to charge then the Parkrun would simply stop. This was never a vote about charging - it was a vote on whether they wanted Parkrun to continue or not. The charging is simply an excuse to blame Parkrun for stopping the event.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Fools at Little Stoke Council in S Gloucestershire are going to charge park-runners to hold their event. This is against the ethos of Parkrun and it will Stop being held.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-36030582
How would they enforce it? What would they do if you refused to pay?
It's an absolute disgrace, they should be encouraging people to live active and healthy lifestyles.
Can a few hundred runners do that much damage to a path once a week?
If so I think they should be more concerned about the quality of their footpaths considering that the sole purpose is to be run/walked on.
As a dog owner I dare say dogs would probably do more damage to the park. Are they gonna charge them too?
Rant over!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here