Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Looks like 3:45 is the fashionable time for this year! I think there are seven NSC runners all looking at this as their target time. Would be great if you ran together, strength in numbers will help massively in the final 10k.
SEVEN? That would be a pretty decent achievement. A guy I know who was meant to be in the 3:45 group has had to drop out, but there are still a few others left. Looks like the train might need an extra carriage...

I'm staying VERY quiet about running injuries. I am one of the lucky ones Dazza was on about.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Admittedly this is my aim on the quiet. We could form an nsc ar$e cheeks pod alternating man on point, I'm sure it would pull us all along and keep up the momentum. Of course all collaboration would end 1 mile to the end when it reverts to every man for himself. I will be foaming at the mouth by then and best given a wide berth

Spot on.

This is exactly how I see this panning out for myself and that's in the good visions, the ones sports psychologists encourage you to have.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Spot on.

This is exactly how I see this panning out for myself and that's in the good visions, the ones sports psychologists encourage you to have.

I'm changing my final 2 week training plan to focus on 1 mile sprint finishes. Sounds like this is [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]'s forte and I can't let him beat me twice in 4 weeks

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
SEVEN? That would be a pretty decent achievement. A guy I know who was meant to be in the 3:45 group has had to drop out, but there are still a few others left. Looks like the train might need an extra carriage...

I'm staying VERY quiet about running injuries. I am one of the lucky ones Dazza was on about.

If my leg is fixed I'll attempt to hang on to the NSC3.45ers as well.......

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
Sprint finish! In the last 3 Brighton Marathons I have had one sprint finish and two finishes that involved a lot of walking from Hove Lagoon to the finish. In any run up to 20 miles I can pace it for a fast finish. The marathon is different. Get the pace 10 seconds out and I'm screwed. Only as I run into Ovingdean will I know if it is likely to be a pb or a nightmare.
Hopefully the form from Hastings will continue. It will be good to have a crew around for encouragement. Maybe we should take a stretcher?

I got some amazing advice on here before, and view this award winning thread daily! Following my debut Boston half (with no training) I'm going to be running the Boston Marathon in 3 weeks (my first) but have tried to keep to a good training schedule.

How different is the 26 vs 20 miles, should you be able to hold a similar pace for the last 6?

Also for 3.45, are you guys going to keep an even pace, or have a slower start / faster second half run? (or the other way around) - I'm starting in the last possible wave so expect the first few miles to be congested.

Hope the last few weeks go well for everyone. I'm attempting 8 miles tonight but the legs are still very sore from 20 at the weekend despite a good Thai massage afterwards :)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I got some amazing advice on here before, and view this award winning thread daily! Following my debut Boston half (with no training) I'm going to be running the Boston Marathon in 3 weeks (my first) but have tried to keep to a good training schedule.

How different is the 26 vs 20 miles, should you be able to hold a similar pace for the last 6?

Also for 3.45, are you guys going to keep an even pace, or have a slower start / faster second half run? (or the other way around) - I'm starting in the last possible wave so expect the first few miles to be congested.

Hope the last few weeks go well for everyone. I'm attempting 8 miles tonight but the legs are still very sore from 20 at the weekend despite a good Thai massage afterwards :)

26 v 20? If training was good the step up will be OK. On 20 I lose 5-7 pints of fluid and can finish the distance. To do an extra 6.2 I need to take on 3 pints minimum and preferably 4 pints of fluid during the race. This adds a few minutes to time.
I will start with a slightly slower start 8:45 and hope it feels ok to increase to 8:30 pace around halfway. At mile 22 you know if it's there or not. Good luck with hilly Boston.
A good tactic is to use fear near the end to motivate the fast twitch fibres that have not been fully used but will be low on energy. They say picture a wolf foaming at the mouth chasing you down. Hopefully [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] will do that for me.

For the 3:45 group I hope to join you at the start line, drop in behind and then will encourage the large number of you I overtake as I run the perfectly paced marathon with negative splits by 2-3 minutes.

Thanks anyway to the 3:45 group. I was planning on just ambling sub 4 but you are starting to fire up my competitive spirit. I'm already shaking from the adrenaline building up...........

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

The last 10k holds the key for your marathon time. I tend to run below target pace to give myself a cushion for the last 10k as unless your a professional it's impossible to spreed up here.

Last year my aim was 8 minute miles so I set off at 7:45 pace meaning I had a nice buffer for the final 10k. Most miles were slightly quicker than 7:45 but by mile 18 it was edging towards the 8 minute mark.

I think my slowest was 8:20 but that was fine as I had some leeway from my early miles.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Many, many people's races go tits up in the last 6 ('20 miles is the real half way point' as they say - at least mentally), usually as a result of either running the first 20 too hard, or getting fuelling, hydration and/or electrolyte balance all wrong. It's a tricky thing to get them all right, particularly as conditions on the day will dictate at least hydration & electrolytes to a degree. Even splits is the way forward if you can, but going off too fast is the sure-fire way to screw it up........I should know [emoji23][emoji23] If you are 'ahead of schedule' at any point from about half way, you have almost certainly made a mistake, the cost of which will become very apparent in the last 10k

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Injuries seem pretty high here, does anyone pick up a bit of yoga for running off days? Or cross-train/swim?

I have a stretch routine in the morning on days I'm not running and swim (only once a week at the moment) and have never felt close to a muscle injury. My left shin isn't feeling great at the moment from over training but I'm just going to manage that pain until the marathon.

I'd really recommend picking up some deep stretches and working in a bit of cross training.

Agree with all this - I've been doing yoga too, to keep the flexibility up, and been using the cross-trainer and the stationary bike on alternate days at the gym to try and maintain a decent level of aerobic fitness during the layoff.
The only downsides are: a) it seems that you need quite long and intensive sessions (with intervals etc) on cross-trainer/bike to get anywhere near the effect of a good run; b) it's so, so boring compared with running outside; c) you have to put up with all the pillocks in the gym, doing their budgie-struts in the changing room mirror, drying their pubes with the hairdryer, downing ridiculous quantities of protein drinks and spraying themselves with bizarre-smelling under-arm perfumes etc...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Agree with all this - I've been doing yoga too, to keep the flexibility up, and been using the cross-trainer and the stationary bike on alternate days at the gym to try and maintain a decent level of aerobic fitness during the layoff.
The only downsides are: a) it seems that you need quite long and intensive sessions (with intervals etc) on cross-trainer/bike to get anywhere near the effect of a good run; b) it's so, so boring compared with running outside; c) you have to put up with all the pillocks in the gym, doing their budgie-struts in the changing room mirror, drying their pubes with the hairdryer, downing ridiculous quantities of protein drinks and spraying themselves with bizarre-smelling under-arm perfumes etc...

A,b & c......nailed it [emoji23]

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'll email them as well.

Ar$e Cheeks?

I've been looking into getting a kit we could all wear.

039.JPG

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
26 v 20? If training was good the step up will be OK. On 20 I lose 5-7 pints of fluid and can finish the distance. To do an extra 6.2 I need to take on 3 pints minimum and preferably 4 pints of fluid during the race. This adds a few minutes to time.
I will start with a slightly slower start 8:45 and hope it feels ok to increase to 8:30 pace around halfway. At mile 22 you know if it's there or not. Good luck with hilly Boston.
A good tactic is to use fear near the end to motivate the fast twitch fibres that have not been fully used but will be low on energy. They say picture a wolf foaming at the mouth chasing you down. Hopefully [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] will do that for me.

For the 3:45 group I hope to join you at the start line, drop in behind and then will encourage the large number of you I overtake as I run the perfectly paced marathon with negative splits by 2-3 minutes.

Thanks anyway to the 3:45 group. I was planning on just ambling sub 4 but you are starting to fire up my competitive spirit. I'm already shaking from the adrenaline building up...........

I knew we could turn you...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Up at 6am for a 7 mile trot around the city, shower, now at my desk with a coffee. I'm back in the groove of this running thing.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Bad news is visiting Margit, innit, and having to miss Burnley. Will watch alone in some dive whilst she visits her friends.
Good news is I may get a top ten Parkrun finish for the first time in 7 years and will have 16 mile LSD early Sunday morning in virgin territory.
Will spend the rest Sunday trying to avoid the T20 final score to watch live on my return.
Enjoy your tapering runs everyone and don't run too fast on any potential euphoria from 3 points.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Just entered the the Phoenix 10 under NSC AC. So far I counted 3 other team members registered so guessing there are a lot more to come.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here