Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A new half marathon PB for me of 1.46.36. Maybe I was in the busiest pen but I found that while conditions were excellent there were far too many pinch points and the first two miles were the two most frustrating I have ever run. Probably only added a minute but a minute's a minute when you're running! For me it seemed that neither the course nor the walkway back to the finish from collecting medals and shirts had been designed for 13,000 people.

That said I am delighted with my run. If we take unofficial watch times then I no longer need to enter a 10k to go under 50 minutes for one as I did it accidentally today, 49.47 according to my Garmin.

This time last year I ran my longest ever run - 4.5 miles in 45 minutes - so to get near 1.45 is immensely pleasing and a lot is down to the coach [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] recommended.

Also nice to get a cheer from [MENTION=159]Stumpy Tim[/MENTION]

Great effort today. The first mile for me was similar as I had to rush to the start line as hadn't checked that the bag drop was in another post code. I started with the 1:50 runners so my first quarter mile was above 7:30 had to nip in and out to get some momentum.

With that kind of half time, sub 4 is a definite possibility for the 17th.

Ps if I see you before the Leeds game I'll buy you a drink plus give you the £14 I still owe from the mince pie.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Great effort today. The first mile for me was similar as I had to rush to the start line as hadn't checked that the bag drop was in another post code. I started with the 1:50 runners so my first quarter mile was above 7:30 had to nip in and out to get some momentum.

With that kind of half time, sub 4 is a definite possibility for the 17th.

Ps if I see you before the Leeds game I'll buy you a drink plus give you the £14 I still owe from the mince pie.

I'm kid free so text me if you fancy a beer. Will be working till about 5 from home. North end of West Lower after if that's better.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well done all half runners. Good to see everyone happy with their respective times. Good group effort.
I had a bad day at the office. Compared to you lot 'The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner' by Alan Sillitoe springs to mind. Decided to do 20 miles with the hills [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] did. Big mistake as I started to climb from the Adur to Truleigh Hill I had to walk :tosser: and as the North East wind started blowing rain into my face I felt the need for a cuddle to stop me from crying. I battled onto the Dyke with more little walks and then the sun came out and it was all downhill from there. Disappointed but good to get 3 hours 25 (10-15 mins over) into the legs and already on the wine. Tomorrow last drinking day for 3 weeks so will meet up after game in the bar North end of Lower West to wet @Guiness Boy's half marathon.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Well I only went & smashed my PB by 10 mins! Came in at 2-05 - usually a 2-20+ man & not trained enough so delighted with that. Thought it was a really well organised event although do agree the passage back to start/finish was too narrow!

Wore my Albion training top & received a huge number of seeeeeagulls shouts which was lovely!

Only down side, I saw a few collapsed runners (I assume just exhaustion) but wish them all well & hope nothing too serious :)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Great stuff well done!

Nice long run for me - thanks to [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] for the route. Hove to Shoreham, up the Adur, SDW up Truleigh Hill to Devils Dyke, Down through Benfield Valley and home along the sea front (through the HM tail runners). 28km in 2:36. A little slower than target but some meaty hills in there. Seven weeks to go til London , one less for Brighton!

Good run isn't it? Nice mix docks, Shoreham, river, Downland and back to the beaches. 50 minutes quicker than me with a couple of miles less. Well done and glad you didn't run past when I was walking and needed a cuddle.:)
You worry me though. I think it's seven weeks to Brighton and 8 London.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Agree about the conditions. Cold but no wind. Knocked 6 minutes off my time from last year and a new PB too so was delighted with 1:51.

To make matters better Mrs EP has said I can run another marathon IF I can get my weight below 14 stone. Don't think I've been there since 1992 but it's a huge carrot.

Still buzzing driving back to Manchester. I feel sub 1:50 may now be feasible especially if I'm carrying 25 lbs less around my midriff.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Great running by all today well done! I went out for 20 miles from Hastings to Eastbourne today as part of my Brighton marathon training plan. It was nice to run in a different area to normal I quite enjoyed it.
I managed to stick around my planned pace of 9 min miles and I felt quite good at the end.
That's I the furthest I've ever run now and I can't wait until Brighton now.
https://www.strava.com/activities/504596606

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Good run isn't it? Nice mix docks, Shoreham, river, Downland and back to the beaches. 50 minutes quicker than me with a couple of miles less. Well done and glad you didn't run past when I was walking and needed a cuddle.:)
You worry me though. I think it's seven weeks to Brighton and 8 London.

Absolutely right! Eight and seven weeks respectively. Apologies!

I too will be WSL north end tomorrow hopefully in time for a pie and a pint before the game but will need to shoot off afterwards - school night for some of us.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Some astounding times from Team NSC out on the mean streets of Brighton today - very impressive indeed.

It has me looking back wistfully at my running from last year before I stopped and wondering "what if...?"

I intend to try a modest 10km later this evening. It's been nearly 5 months since I ran that far (mainly due to not running at all). It will be a horrible struggle.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Some astounding times from Team NSC out on the mean streets of Brighton today - very impressive indeed.

It has me looking back wistfully at my running from last year before I stopped and wondering "what if...?"

I intend to try a modest 10km later this evening. It's been nearly 5 months since I ran that far (mainly due to not running at all). It will be a horrible struggle.

Get out there. There is no gain without pain and sometimes there is only pain with pain. It makes you able to drink and eat more though.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
2:16:09 for me (to go with the 2:15:50 at the Worthing Half). Reasonably happy considering I only started going further than 5K in January and ran out of training after the 10 mile mark. Miffed cause I wanted 2:10 and I *really* want to hit a sub 2 hour but I lack motivation as I'm too comfortable plodding a 10 minute mile.

Wasn't too keen on walking all the way up madeira drive after the event to walk all the way back, but better than a few years back where people were backed up at the finish line unable to cross it due to the sheer volume of people in the finish village.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

I've felt the same over the last week or two, this time last year I was running every day and preparing for the Marathon; on Half day last year I went out and did a 20 mile run for the first time, in just under 3 hours. This year, with my foot problem and change in home circumstances, I can't get myself into a rhythm. I want to get back into running and posting competitive times but it's not happening at the moment.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Get out there. There is no gain without pain and sometimes there is only pain with pain. It makes you able to drink and eat more though.

Oh, I will in a short while. I'm properly "back on it again" - it just feels a bit strange to be so slow (not that I was ever quick) and unable to run very far, even at snail pace. I know that I'll improve quickly though, as was the case last year!

I've felt the same over the last week or two, this time last year I was running every day and preparing for the Marathon; on Half day last year I went out and did a 20 mile run for the first time, in just under 3 hours. This year, with my foot problem and change in home circumstances, I can't get myself into a rhythm. I want to get back into running and posting competitive times but it's not happening at the moment.

Various elements of life, primarily work, took over and I was always going to go out tomorrow. Tomorrow never came though. As well as not running I slipped back into poor dietary and drinking habits. In 5 days time I'll have no work which also means no excuses although, as above, I'm back in the groove. My main problem when I get the habit again is not overdoing it. Right now that means 3 runs a week for 15 miles as opposed to the previous 30-40 miles over 4-6 runs.

Good luck getting back into it yourself.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

You have had a year like Man Utd. Hopefully theirs will continue down and you'll be on the up and back on running form. :lolol::lolol:

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Enter a race. I know we've all told you to, i know you don't want to and I know it costs - but....

I honestly can't adequately describe the buzz today. And that was the B race for me, I'm guessing there are more people at the full marathon. But even at something like Worthing 10K there are loads of people cheering you on. The buzz for me today equated to entering a packed club or gig when I was young or a really big game at the Goldstone or even away. You will have something to train for and you will smash whatever time you set in training.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Oh, I will in a short while. I'm properly "back on it again" - it just feels a bit strange to be so slow (not that I was ever quick) and unable to run very far, even at snail pace. I know that I'll improve quickly though, as was the case last year!

Various elements of life, primarily work, took over and I was always going to go out tomorrow. Tomorrow never came though. As well as not running I slipped back into poor dietary and drinking habits. In 5 days time I'll have no work which also means no excuses although, as above, I'm back in the groove. My main problem when I get the habit again is not overdoing it. Right now that means 3 runs a week for 15 miles as opposed to the previous 30-40 miles over 4-6 runs.

Good luck getting back into it yourself.

Just think, you have all of the running you did last year in your legs. You are at a better starting point than you have probably ever been. It won't be too long until your splits start improving and you're back on form.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Enter a race. I know we've all told you to, i know you don't want to and I know it costs - but....

I honestly can't adequately describe the buzz today. And that was the B race for me, I'm guessing there are more people at the full marathon. But even at something like Worthing 10K there are loads of people cheering you on. The buzz for me today equated to entering a packed club or gig when I was young or a really big game at the Goldstone or even away. You will have something to train for and you will smash whatever time you set in training.

I'm of the same mindset as I was before: I will enter a race when I feel I can do myself justice to some degree. I was probably getting to that point last July/August. Right now, it's back to weight loss and fitness again!

Just think, you have all of the running you did last year in your legs. You are at a better starting point than you have probably ever been. It won't be too long until your splits start improving and you're back on form.

I've already cut 30 seconds/mile off my pace on the same loop within a couple of weeks. I can't wait until my times before with an 8 instead of a 9 though.

I must go out now or it will be another 11pm run for me, like last week!

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
I'm of the same mindset as I was before: I will enter a race when I feel I can do myself justice to some degree. I was probably getting to that point last July/August. Right now, it's back to weight loss and fitness again!

I've already cut 30 seconds/mile off my pace on the same loop within a couple of weeks. I can't wait until my times before with an 8 instead of a 9 though.

I must go out now or it will be another 11pm run for me, like last week!

Get out there mate!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here