Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
Who set up the Strava group originally? We need a NSC image/logo on there.

I'd not checked for a while but see the group is growing, some good runners on there!

Bermondseygull

Jul 6, 2014
Down by the river
My first run since joining the NSC Strava page and I pulled my hamstring... Exacerbated the injury I picked up in the Worthing Half, as usual went back to it too early. Still decided to book in to the Hastings Half! The Strava group is excellent btw, looking forward to competing more when I get my leg back

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Here goes................

A thinking of doing a duathlon. This is my first time. It's quite a gentle introduction (5k run/15k bike/5k run). I signed up for the same last year, came off bike in training and ended up in A&E.
Anyone done one of these before? Any training tips? (Other than 'don't do it'.) Am pretty confident about the first 5k - it's the next bits that concern me!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

A thinking of doing a duathlon. This is my first time. It's quite a gentle introduction (5k run/15k bike/5k run). I signed up for the same last year, came off bike in training and ended up in A&E.
Anyone done one of these before?!
[MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] is your man. Saw him on the TV for his exploits ages before I had met him at Parkrun. He is an expert especially on the A&E visit. :lol::lol:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
4 days before my inevitable death in the Brighton HM.

I've now stopped all running and I'm letting the legs rest. Even for HM distance, should I be carb loading from Thursday/Friday or is that really not necessary?

Honestly, if ANYONE needs ANY sort of help/advantage, its me :lolol:

I wouldn't carb load excessively. Eat a balanced diet with maybe a small increase in carb ratio.

I wouldn't stop running completely, I think a small 2/3 mile run Friday would keep you ticking over nicely.

Best of luck.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Thanks for that. 19 turned into 20 because of a closed section of the Basingstoke Canal. The Ricky Gervais Show, some High5 gel, a crunchy peanut Clif Bar and glorious sunshine got me there in the end.
Great run. Always good when you do more than you'd planned...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sorry for the imposition but I am just going to post the thread about my Brighton Marathon fundraising here. Donations are not expected or anticipated but if any of you are spectating rather than running on the day then an extra big shout for the rhino would be hugely appreciated. He is Albion through and through...

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...ve-of-rhinos&highlight=For+the+love+of+rhinos

I assume you'll have the costume in Preston Park? I'll look out for you. Will be running in the less heavy duty REMF vest and Albion away shorts.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I assume you'll have the costume in Preston Park? I'll look out for you. Will be running in the less heavy duty REMF vest and Albion away shorts.

Yes. Still trying figure out how I'm going to fit into one of those portaloos before the start. I'll be right of the back of the corral though. Enjoy the day if I don't see you. Come to think of it, I'm not going to see much. :)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
4 days before my inevitable death in the Brighton HM.

I've now stopped all running and I'm letting the legs rest. Even for HM distance, should I be carb loading from Thursday/Friday or is that really not necessary?

Honestly, if ANYONE needs ANY sort of help/advantage, its me :lolol:

No..just eat normally and hydrate well. Carb loading is a load of bollocks - carbs convert to glycogen, the average body can only store about 2 hours worth regardless of how much pasta you eat.....and almost always has that 2 hours worth stored. Eating more carbs for a day or two beforehand will just make you feel bloated and lethargic.

You won't die, you'll be fine. Take it easy and enjoy it !

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Forced to join those tapering for Sunday's Half Marathon. All running stopped. IT Band screwed from Sunday. Jesus was booked for 1pm today but appointment was just cancelled as his wife has just gone into labour. Good luck to them both. He would have got me up and running by tomorrow.
Have decided to heal myself. Now feel as if someone has kicked me in the back with steel toe caps on. Usually pay him £40 for that. Hope I have got the right place. Swim tomorrow morning then hope to be back on track.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Forced to join those tapering for Sunday's Half Marathon. All running stopped. IT Band screwed from Sunday. Jesus was booked for 1pm today but appointment was just cancelled as his wife has just gone into labour. Good luck to them both. He would have got me up and running by tomorrow.
Have decided to heal myself. Now feel as if someone has kicked me in the back with steel toe caps on. Usually pay him £40 for that. Hope I have got the right place. Swim tomorrow morning then hope to be back on track.

Ouch! I hope the daffodils work for you :wink:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
[MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] is your man. Saw him on the TV for his exploits ages before I had met him at Parkrun. He is an expert especially on the A&E visit. :lol::lol:

Anyone done one of these before? Any training tips? (Other than 'don't do it'.) Am pretty confident about the first 5k - it's the next bits that concern me!

Ha ha [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]! Yes what a day that was: 5km run; 1,500m swim; 40km bike ride (where I had an off on Shoreham Beach); Brighton marathon; then off to Worthing A&E for 26 stitches in my knee!

It's like all these things - if you do the right amount of training, it's pretty straightforward. I've never done a duathlon, but I should do because I hate swimming. However, if you are OK with that bit, I would thoroughly recommend the Mid Sussex Triathlon as an introduction. It's 400m in the swimming pool at the Triangle, then a 25km bike and 5km run. Really relaxed and friendly, good fun – and normally pretty good weather...

In training for my triathlon-marathon, I did a few back-to-back disciplines, and while the transition from run to bike is a little odd, but you soon get used to it. I actually found that I sometimes ran quicker – or certainly found it easier – AFTER a bike ride (probably something to do with the muscles warming up or something – so that bit should be no problem. Again, it's a bit of an odd sensation getting off the bike onto your feet again, but I just learned to go with it. I guess with what you're doing, GNT, I would suggest taking it a little easier on the first 5km, because you'll need the energy in your legs for the bike – which is where you'll make or break the whole event, in terms of getting a decent time – and obviously for the last 5km.

Do a few bike-run sessions in training, just to get used to it, but you should be fine.

Hope some of that is helpful...

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Ha ha [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]! Yes what a day that was: 5km run; 1,500m swim; 40km bike ride (where I had an off on Shoreham Beach); Brighton marathon; then off to Worthing A&E for 26 stitches in my knee!

It's like all these things - if you do the right amount of training, it's pretty straightforward. I've never done a duathlon, but I should do because I hate swimming. However, if you are OK with that bit, I would thoroughly recommend the Mid Sussex Triathlon as an introduction. It's 400m in the swimming pool at the Triangle, then a 25km bike and 5km run. Really relaxed and friendly, good fun – and normally pretty good weather...

In training for my triathlon-marathon, I did a few back-to-back disciplines, and while the transition from run to bike is a little odd, but you soon get used to it. I actually found that I sometimes ran quicker – or certainly found it easier – AFTER a bike ride (probably something to do with the muscles warming up or something – so that bit should be no problem. Again, it's a bit of an odd sensation getting off the bike onto your feet again, but I just learned to go with it. I guess with what you're doing, GNT, I would suggest taking it a little easier on the first 5km, because you'll need the energy in your legs for the bike – which is where you'll make or break the whole event, in terms of getting a decent time – and obviously for the last 5km.

Do a few bike-run sessions in training, just to get used to it, but you should be fine.

Hope some of that is helpful...

Many thanks GB. Like you I am no swimmer so will avoid the tri (the only tri I've done was a relay one when I was the runner and we won - but this was largely because we had a shit-hot cyclist!). I take your point about the first 5K. Yesterday I dug out my bike and realised how rusty I was (and the bike was too for that matter). Today I'll warm up for a run with a session on an exercise bike. Not quite the same as the real thing but a start.
I noted your visit to A&E - you had considerably more stitches than I did. Mind you, even though it was nearly a year ago, the knee has never been quite the same since- although running doesn't seem to bother it.
The aim is to win my category but it's great that I can blame my bike if I don't manage it. (For obvious reasons I've never had that excuse in a run.)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Now @GB has told you his experience I'll throw in mine. I agree with holding back on the first run. I did Triathlons for 6 successive years but stopped abruptly at 50 as training was so intensive. The bike is a great part and at Windsor you can just push 40mph on the final downhill. I reckon you need time on the bike. Easy days on flat bike paths and hard days on hilly bike paths. A great path runs from above the Marina to Rottingdean Windmill. It is about 6 miles there and back and just demanding enough. Maybe too far for you to drive to and you have a local hilly path. Which duathlons is it? You can borrow my Cannondale CAAD 800, if you like. It will save you minutes if your bike is not a light racer. It's got lonely in the attic for 4 years........it has old man's compact gear set for me but a choice of set up at the back for training and hills or big race day. We're going to get banned...

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Now @GB has told you his experience I'll throw in mine. I agree with holding back on the first run. I did Triathlons for 6 successive years but stopped abruptly at 50 as training was so intensive. The bike is a great part and at Windsor you can just push 40mph on the final downhill. I reckon you need time on the bike. Easy days on flat bike paths and hard days on hilly bike paths. A great path runs from above the Marina to Rottingdean Windmill. It is about 6 miles there and back and just demanding enough. Maybe too far for you to drive to and you have a local hilly path. Which duathlons is it? You can borrow my Cannondale CAAD 800, if you like. It will save you minutes if your bike is not a light racer. It's got lonely in the attic for 4 years........it has old man's compact gear set for me but a choice of set up at the back for training and hills or big race day. We're going to get banned...

You are a gent! My event is in Porstmouth and is flat as a pancake. I looked at the competitors in the old git category and to have a chance of winning (on the basis of the last two years) I'd need to clock around 16-17 mph on the bike (assuming a couple of quickish 5k runs) which over 15k is attainable on my Trek hybrid and would be peanuts I assume to a proper cyclist or tri competitor on a decent bike. The Cannondale is a fine beast and huge thanks for making it available but my handling skills on a racer are not great (hence the visit to A&E last year!) so I'll stick with what I am comfortable with.
I'm really just doing it for the experience. I'm not sure about the quality of the field at the top end but a couple of years ago (Dame) Kelly Holmes was pretty well placed!
What times were you doing for your tri-events? I just don't know how people can cope with the training for these things although I guess the body adjusts. Today I found I had very little in my legs for a gentle 5K run after an equally gentle 20 mins on the exercise bike; hardly a Brownlee-like performance.
As for hills we have the Steyning Bostal not too far away. This is short and sharp and some folk think it's harder than Ditchling. Anyway I've got 3 weeks and a bit, so I reckon I can get some sort fitness for the event.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You are a gent! My event is in Porstmouth and is flat as a pancake. I looked at the competitors in the old git category and to have a chance of winning (on the basis of the last two years) I'd need to clock around 16-17 mph on the bike (assuming a couple of quickish 5k runs) which over 15k is attainable on my Trek hybrid and would be peanuts I assume to a proper cyclist or tri competitor on a decent bike. The Cannondale is a fine beast and huge thanks for making it available but my handling skills on a racer are not great (hence the visit to A&E last year!) so I'll stick with what I am comfortable with.
I'm really just doing it for the experience. I'm not sure about the quality of the field at the top end but a couple of years ago (Dame) Kelly Holmes was pretty well placed!
What times were you doing for your tri-events? I just don't know how people can cope with the training for these things although I guess the body adjusts. Today I found I had very little in my legs for a gentle 5K run after an equally gentle 20 mins on the exercise bike; hardly a Brownlee-like performance.
As for hills we have the Steyning Bostal not too far away. This is short and sharp and some folk think it's harder than Ditchling. Anyway I've got 3 weeks and a bit, so I reckon I can get some sort fitness for the event.

If you are size 8.5 to 9 come and get the bike and shoes. The uplift is massive.
My split times have disappeared on the inter web but It was a 2:38:14 at Windsor as an over 50. The 10k was probably around 44:00 not likely today after the biking and swimming or even without biking or swimming.
Just get out on the bike every day for 2 weeks before tapering and you'll be there. Avoid the BOSTAL:eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here