Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Great sunrise. Will be out there once my porridge, coconut fat, banana, linseeds, dates and walnuts has gone down. Favourite session 5x 800m at 5k pace with long warm up and cool down.

Hastings was where I had to get the knee stretch from Jesus. It's not the going up but coming down for 6 miles. It's like a dream where you fly through the streets, until your knee seizes.
No Hastings for me this year. First one in the calendar for next year though...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Never done the Hastings half, but they had a 100 year anniversary marathon in 2008, after the one they had in Olympic Year in 1908. That was hilly too, looped up through Battle and back down to Cooden Beach where we had a long pebbly stretch at 24 miles. Massive bespoke horse brass instead of a medal !

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Got the Hastings Half Race number yesterday. 950th Anniversary of The French victory.

20th March. Anyone else doing it? I need to know if there will be some competitive edge or not. If yes the BM training plan will be slightly adjusted.

Yeah I'm doing Hastings. I will be aiming for around 1:40. But that may get adjusted depending on how my Brighton marathon training is going.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Me too for Hastings. Not done it before so looking forward to it. Will regard more as London Marathon training than a full blown event in itself.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
good time bud

.....and yours too: always nice to surprise yourself with a good time. As an old git I'm always seeking a 'category win' and furiously pursued a guy today who I was convinced was in my age group (basically if it's got grey hair I chase it!) only to fail and then to find he was younger. Pathetic I know but these small victories are what keeps you (or me) going!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
uploadfromtaptalk1456042606674.jpg

Well that wasn't so bad. A bit windy but I've run in a lot worse along the seafront!

Good to see [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] towards the end.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
View attachment 72526

Well that wasn't so bad. A bit windy but I've run in a lot worse along the seafront!

Great effort. I'm due out at 11am and it doesn't look great out there. I suppose the trick is just get out there and going and after a few miles it doesn't seem so bad.

Seems like the past 3 months has been nothing but strong winds. Let's hope next Sunday is better with a number of us running the Brighton half.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
View attachment 72526

Good to see you too. I was actually pleasantly surprised I could say anything. Was in the fastest bit of a 16 mile progression run and totally dying on my arse!

Also got out early - 6am start for me - thanks to my wife having to leave for the airport at 8.45. It was my longest ever run and unofficially fastest ever half marathon. Managed miles 12-13 and 13-14 at around 8.15 pace uphill which I'm immensely proud of.

One week to Brighton half but I'm having a roast and a glass of wine on the back of that for sure:)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A month without alcohol finished yesterday with 4 pints watching Brighton followed by a bottle and a half of red. this helped push me over the 10" pace for todays easy 14 miler. Wonderful on the SDW the new Cascadia are well worn in. After today have only Leeds match and Cheltenham Gold Cup day as drinking days. Thank God.

After a month of 40 mile weeks have the pleasure of beginning 50+ this week. Slow, slow, quick, quick and more slow.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
16 miles from the gyratory to Worthing back to Lancing and resting up at a friends house, around 2.20. Felt absolutely ruined though, running into the wind other that 3 miles back at the end.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Pretty tough work this morning on the back of a hard 18 miler yesterday......another 14 miles, 90 mins aiming at target marathon pace. Blustery wind and fatigue meant I struggled a bit and was a little bit off target (about 15s/mile overall). Just short of 60 miles for the week. Most for a long time but feeling OK

https://www.strava.com/activities/498565427

Had friends staying Friday night. They said the NSCstava group must be great motivation for your running. My immediate reaction was how it is almost demotivating. When someone finishes a 60 mile week with an 8:15 pace 14 miler, you think ****. Great running and great running by the Strava group.
I'll get back to grinding out mileage, getting some hill work and avoiding injury (fingers crossed). Then I'll be ready for Hastings, ready to not screw up the marathon by walking yet again and be ready to bring down 5k and 10k times this summer.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I'm taking the easy option and deferring my long run to tomorrow after work like a big sissy. Have been feeling a bit guilty so I've done an hour of core work and weights listening to ACDC to make me feel more of a man.

Good running to everyone who got out there today.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Ive been told by the council not to run anymore as they have enough potholes in the roads and pavements as it is !!:D:D

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Had friends staying Friday night. They said the NSCstava group must be great motivation for your running. My immediate reaction was how it is almost demotivating. When someone finishes a 60 mile week with an 8:15 pace 14 miler, you think ****. Great running and great running by the Strava group.
I'll get back to grinding out mileage, getting some hill work and avoiding injury (fingers crossed). Then I'll be ready for Hastings, ready to not screw up the marathon by walking yet again and be ready to bring down 5k and 10k times this summer.

Tell me about it. Just finished the most miles per week of my life and where am I in the table? FIFTH. Effing fifth. Some bloke who did a 14 miler today just leapfrogged me too :rant:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Great effort. I'm due out at 11am and it doesn't look great out there. I suppose the trick is just get out there and going and after a few miles it doesn't seem so bad.

Seems like the past 3 months has been nothing but strong winds. Let's hope next Sunday is better with a number of us running the Brighton half.
That was my thought as I was running the course. I'll probably do a similar slog early next Sunday, so I'll report back early!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here